Post Your New Polish Acquisitions

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Polish Silver, Mar 7, 2013.

1. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Ever so slightly more cost effective lower denomination coins, with a new obverse. A hint of the Royal Mint from Poland...

coins313.jpg
    coins316.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-28 at 5.45.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-08-28 at 5.46.07 PM.png

chrisild and John Anthony like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Right, the new (2013-) low denomination coins have been minted by the Royal Mint in Llantrisant. Attached is an enlarged image of the mintmark used on these pieces.

pl_llantri.jpg

The Polish Mint (MW) makes lots of coins itself, including many collector coins for other countries. Then again, coin production also costs money, and the cdntral bank (NBP) apparently got a better deal in Wales ...

Christian

4. torontokuba

The 2013 RM (Royal Mint) coins were not really meant for circulation, just vending and payment machine testing purposes. The pilot samples were 1 000 000 of each denomination. Should be treated as a rarity, if and when found.

5Groszy2014319.jpg
    5Groszy2014320.jpg

The 2014 coins are available in both versions, RM and MW. Final mintages are still TBD.

The large and more cost effective RM order was supposedly needed to combat the hoarding of these low denomination coins. The order was open to bids and prices were all over the map. Offers varied from single layer to double layer plated steel.

-The Royal Mint, 54 035 230 zł, US$ 16 904 498 (single layer)
    -Mint of Finland, 55 114 130 zł, US$ 17 242 024 (double layer)
    -Mint of Poland, 61 355 870 zł, US$ 19 194 703 (double layer)
    -Mint of Poland, 64 999 900 zł, US$ 20 334 709 (single layer)
    -Royal Canadian Mint, 99 830 000 zł, US$ 31 231 033 (single layer)

http://nbp.pl/home.aspx?f=/aktualnosci/wiadomosci_2013/2013_10_31_komunikat.html

chrisild likes this.
  5. torontokuba

UPDATE: (for those interested)... over the past weeks and months, discussions and links on various forums revealed several instances where test samples from the Royal Mint, with 2013 on them, were available for show in pictures and briefly available at auctions. Auctions were pulled and people were questioned as to how they came into possession of these 2013 test samples. The most logical and frequently used explanation was that they got them back in change from vending machines of all types, which were tested with these samples. The original intent was not to have them circulate. I guess they decided otherwise, to eliminate speculation and reduce the number of man hours that would be required to retrieve any 2013 samples that were among the general public. The announcement to release the 2013 test samples into circulation is available on the NBP website...

Rough translation...

Coming out against the expectations of collectors, NBP informs that starting on Nov. 7th, 2014 it will begin releasing into circulation 1, 2 and 5 groszy coins from 2013, that are brass plated steel (this composition was only produced by the Royal Mint, so far).

All interested will be able to acquire the above mentioned coins in the check-outs at the 16 District NBP Branches, only when purchasing collector coins or banknotes (basically you can ask for them as change after purchase, you can't just pop in to ask for change without purchase).

http://www.nbp.pl/home.aspx?f=/aktualnosci/wiadomosci_2014/1-2-5-groszy.html

Even at a mintage of 1 000 000 for each denomination, it is a nice surprise for collectors. Now they can legally have and keep their Royal Mint issued finds from 2013. Normal mintage figures for these three denominations range from lowest 48 000 000 (for the 5gr coins) to highest 375 000 000 ( for the 1gr coins) per year. In other words, this is a really nice treat.

Mintage figures...
    http://nbp.pl/home.aspx?f=/banknoty_i_monety/monety_obiegowe/naklady_emisji.html

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    chrisild likes this.
  6. torontokuba

I guess the dropped letter from filled die error fits with these two 2013 Royal Mint surprises. I'm in talks with the owner to acquire the 0 while he plans on keeping the SP.

Incuse SP plus other debris. No puncture exposing steel from under the single layer brass plating.

file.jpg

Incuse 0 plus other debris. No puncture exposing steel from under the single layer brass plating.

file-1.jpg

J.A.K. likes this.
  7. torontokuba

I did get it, it is a neat error.

I also have a separate set of the 2013 Royal Mint issue 1gr, 2gr and 5gr.

However, none of those are as important and appealing to the collection, as this little guy...:joyful:

moneta572.jpg

moneta576.jpg

J.A.K. likes this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

my one and only Polish Moose.JPG

J.A.K. likes this.
  9. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Couldn't resist this when it came up at my coin club auction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

This couple:singing:

Attached Files:

• 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      156.1 KB
      Views:
    • 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      141.6 KB
      Views:
    • 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      156.6 KB
      Views:
    • 36.jpg
      36.jpg
      File size:
      141.3 KB
      Views:
    twopillow likes this.
  11. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

12. triggersmob

triggersmob World Collector

I added this bi-metallic coin to my collection this week.
    It rates as one of my favourites now. 2000 Poland 2 Zlote.jpg

J.A.K. and Dougmeister like this.
  13. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I really don't know why but I really love these coins. There is just something about them. Thanks for sharing.

14. Jason Hoffpauir

These are very unique and have amazing eye appeal. At least to me they do. Thanks.

15. Jason Hoffpauir

16. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

King Kazimierz IV Jagiellonczyk (1447-1492).

Attached Files:

• 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
    J.A.K. likes this.
  17. twopillow

twopillow The Dude Abides

Here are a few of mine. Going to be scanning and uploading some more...

Attached Files:

triggersmob and Siberian Man like this.
  18. twopillow

Here's a few more. The Polish coins are some of my favorites.

Attached Files:

triggersmob likes this.
  19. torontokuba

The latest beauty...

Grossus1767G607.jpg
    Grossus1767G608.jpg

J.A.K. likes this.
  20. twopillow

Here's a few more.

Attached Files:

chrisild likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted