Post Your New Polish Acquisitions

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Polish Silver, Mar 7, 2013.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Rotate please. ;) Very nice design, except I am not so fond of the colored part ...

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Actually I was just thinking I am not generally in favour of colourised coins etc - but the Polish mint actually does a very nice job on the coins they do - they are more works of art than coins IMHO.

I would like to get one of those Łódź(pronounced "Vwodzh") coins - reminds me much of a Ukrainian coin I have.

4. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Yes, in memory of Lodz ghetto victims. Luster is gone due to "antique finish" (oxidation).

5. Polish Silver

Polish Silver ColorfulWorldCoins.com

1980 Poland 100zl Jan Kochanowski

1980 Poland 100zl Jan Kochanowski.jpg 1980 Poland 100zl Jan Kochanowski (1).jpg

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It doesn't appear that the Poles vary the design of their eagle at all - whenever it appears, it is always the same.

7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

No. No. No!:w8v4:

8. Siberian Man

Two types of an eagle.

Attached Files:

• 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
    • 46.jpg
      46.jpg
      File size:
      77.1 KB
      Views:
    • 47.jpg
      47.jpg
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:
    • 48.jpg
      48.jpg
      File size:
      85.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Siberian Man

Another two types.

Attached Files:

• 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views:
    • 42.jpg
      42.jpg
      File size:
      88.8 KB
      Views:
    • 43.jpg
      43.jpg
      File size:
      83.9 KB
      Views:
    • 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      107 KB
      Views:
  10. Siberian Man

Another two...

Attached Files:

• 37.jpg
      37.jpg
      File size:
      116.6 KB
      Views:
    • 38.jpg
      38.jpg
      File size:
      94.8 KB
      Views:
    • 39.jpg
      39.jpg
      File size:
      113.2 KB
      Views:
    • 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      113.7 KB
      Views:
  11. Siberian Man

And more...

Attached Files:

• 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      96.6 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      105.7 KB
      Views:
    Derick likes this.
  12. Siberian Man

And so one...

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      33.5 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      65 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Ah, sorry! I don't know this coinage. I was looking only at the earlier examples in the thread. Thanks for posting the others.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As far as I can tell (and I could be wrong here ...), today's Poland (the Rzeczpospolita Polska - Polish Republic since 1989) does indeed not change its eagle on coins. In the People's Republic and before, that was apparently different.

Christian

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

1840 Poland 1 Groszy

This coin is a brand new acquisition.
    This coin is from Poland.
    This coin has a different type of eagle.

I think this coin qualifies to be posted in this thread. :)

Thanks for letting me share. :thumb:

Attached Files:

torontokuba and brg5658 like this.
  16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Ha, I just clicked "Like" for that coin in a different topic. :) Nice piece indeed! As for the eagle, well, this one is the Russian double headed eagle, and that sure is different from the Polish bird ...

Christian

17. Siberian Man

It is the Russian two-headed eagle. A coin for an appeal in the Kingdom of Poland during the "Russian" period.

18. PaulW

PaulW New Member

Poland does not vary the design of the eagle because it is a national symbol. It is what it is at a particular period in time. Designs are chosen and approved in legislation by the government. The current design was adopted in late 1920's, later arbitralily changed by the communists, including many wild and bastardized designs, eventually coming back to the official version in 1989. Most notable change forced by the communists was the removing of the crown from the eagle's head. Officially to relate better to the common man, in reality to stick it to the Polish ("you're your own country, buy we're really in charge now"-USSR). Changing the design of the eagle on coins is like changing the design of the Canadian maple leaf to suit one's personal artistic sensibilities. Negatory on that. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Different countries do this differently. In Germany for example the federal eagle is a national symbol too, and yet you find all kinds of variations (sometimes good, sometimes ... ah well) on the coins from the Federal Republic.

However, what the Polish central bank and mint do, when it comes to collector coins, is interesting too: In many cases the (non-modified) eagle covers a small portion of the coin only, thus giving room to the occasion specific design.

Christian

20. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Below is a nice set of "replica" coins issued by the Polish Mint in 2006 in the design, size, and denominations for which the original Madeyski design was submitted.

The woman's head design was submitted for a competition in 1925 as the design for new gold pieces in denominations of 10, 20, 50, and 100 Zlotych. The design didn't see any use until 1932, and was used on silver coinage in 1932-34 (in modified form with legend text moved to the eagle side).

Even though the woman pictured is NOT that of Queen Jadwiga, this design has been referred to as that for many years. In truth, the depiction of the beautiful woman was titled “Polonia” (Poland in Latin, and the word used for the personification of Poland), and was meant to represent the idealized image of the Polish community. She was crowned with a wreath of clover, symbolic of happiness and prosperity, but also of the Holy Trinity and the contemporary Christian character of the Polish State. The sun’s rays were symbolic of triumph and glory, and a harbinger of further glory; whereas the ears of grain (wheat) emphasized the importance of agriculture to the national economy and a source of prosperity and abundance.

[​IMG]

21. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Wow! Fantastic coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted