Post your New Old Canadian coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jello, Jan 14, 2015.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

Uh, maybe this one fits that description? 1837 Canada 1-2 p token obv.JPG 1837 Canada 1-2 p token rev.JPG

spirityoda, old49er, Kasia and 4 others like this.
  4. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

The power of focused observation is both underestimated and undervalued. :watching:

5. Lemme Caution

6. Richard M. Renneboog

Richard M. Renneboog Active Member

Certainly does. The inscription "Province du Bas Canada" translates to 'Province of Lower Canada', which in the present day is the Province of Quebec. Lower Canada extended most of the way to the east coast, where parts had been colonized by Scottish and Irish (Gaelic) settlers, and to the west in the area of the Ottawa Valley and Gatineau Hills. Modern-day Ontario was known at that time as Upper Canada, and was mostly settled by British. As this was still thirty years before Confederation, most of Upper Canada was wild forest land, with permanent settlements only along the major waterways. The interior was still very much the realm of First Nations peoples, and a mixture of French and British explorers. There are a few pockets of French heritage in southern Ontario to this day, and fully one-third of Canadians have French as their first language. The coin in the picture was issued by one of the privately operated banks that existed at the time, probably the one that later became the Bank of Montreal (known as BMO today). It was a trade token, and not government-minted coinage, as there was no national mint at that time. Businesses and banking functions that existed in different parts of the settled areas could issue their own tokens as a means of facilitating trade in the region. The only actual 'money' in both Upper and Lower Canada was whatever came over from Britain and France, but there wasn't very much of that due to a scarcity of metals for common coinage following the Napoleonic Wars.

7. Lemme Caution

What a great history mini-education regarding both old-time eastern Canada and the coinage prevalent there at that time. Many thanks for that...one can never accumulate too much knowledge. :bookworm:

Theodosius likes this.
  8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Canada - 1891 25 Cents (Key Date)
    KM 5
    Mintage of 120,000
    (Note: I hate to see Vicky with the dragon scale this bad...but it's got a clear date and it's one I've never seen before in hand.)​

Canada - 1891 Quarter.jpg

old49er, jj00, coin_nut and 2 others like this.
  9. coin_nut

Here are my other Canada bank tokens. I got them at a good price from a fellow in Holland recently. 1850 Canada 1-2 p token obv.JPG 1850 Canada 1-2 p token rev.JPG 1857 Canada 1 p token obv.JPG 1857 Canada 1 p token rev.JPG

furryfrog02, old49er, jello and 3 others like this.
  10. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

I GOT THIS CHEAP AT A AUCTION ITS DETAILS HAS WHEEL MARKS BUT IST A PRETTY COIN AND IS WAS BORN IN 1949 SO I AM PARCIAL TO THE DATE SMILES!

Attached Files:

old49er and Theodosius like this.
  11. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

1953 50 Cents, 1928 5 IMG_20171031_022845.jpg IMG_20171031_023128.jpg IMG_20171031_030208.jpg IMG_20171031_025025.jpg IMG_20171031_030648.jpg IMG_20171031_031254.jpg IMG_20171031_033339.jpg IMG_20171031_032304.jpg Cents Keeping with the Christmas Spirit 20 dollar. i had to post my favorite 5 Dollar Thunderbird Maple leaf!

old49er, jello and Theodosius like this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

13. coin_nut

This 1892 arrived yesterday. I see I have an 1861 NB, did I post it already? 1892 Canada 1 c obv.JPG 1892 Canada 1 c rev.JPG

old49er, jj00, Nas and 2 others like this.
  14. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

I don't think so, post away...

15. coin_nut

1861 NB, here ya go. I just a minute ago paid for a couple Newfoundland large cents, so they should be in the pipeline soon. 1861 NB 1 c obv.JPG 1861 NB 1 c rev.JPG

jj00, old49er, Nas and 2 others like this.
  16. Richard M. Renneboog

Wow, that's a nice one. (And before some smartass says it, I'll say it... yes, that is what she said)

17. coin_nut

I posted this one earlier today on the exonumia thread...guess it counts as a Canadian, also as a 'latest acquisition'. 1976 Calgary obv.JPG 1976 Calgary rev.JPG

jj00 likes this.
  18. Richard M. Renneboog

I have a bunch of trade dollars that I collected a bunch of years ago. I'll post to exonumia thread soon.

19. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Love those Maritime coppers.
    Just picked up a new Nova Scotia Half Cent

1864 Nova Scotia Half Cent MS62 RB -tile.jpg

Derick, spirityoda, jello and 2 others like this.
  20. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Did I spark an interest...lol on these?

jj00 likes this.
  21. coin_nut

Yes, me too... 1864 NS 1 c obv.JPG 1864 NS 1 c rev.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted