Post your New Old Canadian coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jello, Jan 14, 2015.

1. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

I not seen my complete collection of large pennies for a long time. Will babe moving to a senior unit soon and will be able to look at the coins varieties which were not know when I completed the series; first coin purchased was a 1907 H,

Attached Files:

Theodosius, jj00, coin_nut and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Welcome aboard the site. Was a chief myself and then went to OCS in '76. Rose the ranks and retired in '97 as a CDR. Canadian Large Cents are my specialty

carpman98 and spirityoda like this.
  4. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

COULD YOU POST A LINK FOR CANADIAN LARGE CENTS. 1902 COIN HAS WHAT APPEARS TO BE A DOT IN THE FIELD BELOW DATE -NEAREST TO ZERO.

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin, jj00 and jello like this.
  5. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I would say just google "Canada large cents" and see what comes up. I post a picture of my 1902 cent reverse and it does not appear to have a dot like yours. I do see some ugly scratches though. 1902 Canada 1 c rev.JPG

6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well, I was super excited about this coin when I purchased it in the 2x2...until I took a closer look at it outside the 2x2. Without the damage to the obverse this coin would be absolutely gorgeous. Not quite ever seem this level of emerald green toning on a cent before.

Canada - 1947 Cent.jpg

Here are a couple extra shots of the obverse at different lighting angles to highlight the color:

Canada - 1947 Cent - Obverses.jpg

And, for good measure, a couple of 1858 Large Cents I picked up recently:

Canada - 1858 Cent 1.jpg

Canada - 1858 Cent 2.jpg

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That's a die chips on the fields under the date.

8. Richard M. Renneboog

Richard M. Renneboog Active Member

Those blue steel King George VI nickels could very well be original surface, not cleaned. They do occasionally show up in change looking just like that. Not very often at all any more, but I have seen them come in change looking just like that. I can't vouch for the Sudbury commemorative nickel, though... it looks a little too pristine to have survived pocket change.

9. coin_nut

1962 50 cent proof or proof like? 1962 Canada 50 c PR obv.JPG 1962 Canada 50 c PR rev.JPG

Pickin and Grinin, Nas, jj00 and 2 others like this.
  10. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

PL (Cameo or Heavy Cameo based on photo).
    I'd have to double check but pretty sure the mint didn't issue any proofs until several years later.
    (their proof program started in the '80s)
    " Issued: Beginning officially in 1953, although some earlier coins are known in Proof-Like condition.
    This limited-edition set features numismatic versions of the seven circulating Canadian coins. Carefully hand-selected, these coins are the best of their kind. Proof-Like sets are a complete set of coinage for a year. The sets contained silver coins up to 1967, and thereafter contained coins made of nickel."
    "Although the coins from 1971 to 1980 are technically of specimen quality, the whole series is generally known as the Proof set series. The coins were not actually entirely proof until 1981."
    Nice looking 50 Cent @coin_nut !

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  11. coin_nut

I love the Canadian large cents. Think I will get rid of the other Canadian odds and ends I have (except for the silver dollars) and just concentrate on the cents. 1876 H Canada 1 c obv.JPG 1876 H Canada 1 c rev.JPG I forget the rules of this thread, so next post to be 1876 or Canada?

jj00 and jello like this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

13. coin_nut

Edward VII, 1905 Canada one cent 1905 Canada 1 c obv.JPG 1905 Canada 1 c rev.JPG

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anything need to be said? :)

15. Richard M. Renneboog

Richard M. Renneboog Active Member

16. coin_nut

I must agree, that is an excellent specimen. I have a lot of nice ones, and none of them really comes close.

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sweet coin can't wait to see it in hand

18. SuperDave

I'll bring it tomorrow. Different lighting:

IMG_10221rawsml.JPG

IMG_10223rawsml.JPG

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  19. coin_nut

Kinda close, no cigar... 1917 Canada 1 c obv.JPG 1917 Canada 1 c rev.JPG

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Picked this one up yesterday I'm not sure after further inspection if it can be successfully restored. IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

jj00 and Nas like this.
  21. SuperDave

If you're referring to the stain at 2:00 reverse, maybe not (acetone is worth a shot) but I wouldn't have cared either. :)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted