Post your New Old Canadian coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jello, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This hit the hammer at 167.00 unreal for a 800.00 coin!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Personally, I've always liked the 20 cent New Brunswick mostly do to the reverse crown, the maple boughs & the obverse young Victoria portait - just a nice mix in my opinion - makes for an handsome coin. Seller's coin photos look a bit blurry (through mylar 2x2 - in my opinion looks maybe EF, not clear enough to assume higher), which may have hurt the bids a bit..... That and the number of collectors of Canadian Provincial coinage seems to be fairly small...

Regardless, agree with @Paddy54 though, nice looking coin. Think someone got a good deal on ebay!

jello and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Paddy54

I missed the Au 1861 Nova Scotia cent by a buck another nice coin this seller had. But there's more out there to fish for another day .

5. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Yes, you'll definitely find another. 1861 has a pretty high mintage, as you say, more out there...
    blurry photos, some possible scratches - may just be the mylar - I lean towards trying to hide something...suspect I'm too paranoid (this forum's fault) lol

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Yes the images were bury but under that I could see two nice coins. I was really liking both.... but someone else knew that they were also very nice specimens . But again I'll wait till the next time. No worries it's not like I don't have any coins lol

7. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Yes wouldn't actually surprise me if they were both still nice, I'm just a little leary of ebay. Sometimes win/sometimes lose.
    Much more comfortable with online dealers I know of course.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This is the first of a batch of 8 LC's I've acquired. It might be the most "collectible" of the bunch, but I don't believe it the "best" of them. I've only time for the one before work; you'll have to await the others. :)

1859Obvsml.JPG

1859Revsml.JPG

1859Slab.jpg

I think it's quite worthy of MS63, but to my mind more like RB than Red. The lines on the reverse are scratches on the slab (and their shadows).

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that's eye candy! :jawdrop::):cool::greedy:

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am confused... I am looking in my 2016 Charlton standard catalog for Canadian coins trying to find your variety for your 1859 coin ??? which is it ??? @stevex6

11. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

That's a fairly common variety with the first 3 digits very slightly doubled. I also think that I see a little wear in the tufts around the ear and laurel leaves. A nice looking coin, but I wouldn't give it a 63. Is that green on the reverse on the coin or the holder?

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. SuperDave

The "green" is more a lack of color on the coin's surface than anything else; under the loupe it seems as-struck. The white dot on the ball of the 9 looks to be either in or under the plastic, which is unfortunate. Here's a 100% crop from a companion image to the above, showing what doubling is easily visible:

IMG_3074detail.JPG

This set was intended to try to illustrate the coin's in-hand appearance, which involves compromise of strict technical detail. The reverse is nicely clashed; I'll see if I can capture that.

But there are two more Vickies, two Edwards and three more Georges in line first. :)

jello and Paddy54 like this.
  13. SuperDave

Speaking of Her Highness....

1892_Obv4sml.JPG

1892Revsml.JPG

That obverse could not have lasted much longer; look at the cracks.

This one was only cracked at CANADA, but judging from the denticles and rim crumbling, it hadn't many more strikes in it either:

1901Obvsml.JPG

1901Revsml.JPG

14. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

15. SuperDave

This one's tough enough that I was willing to acquire a nice AU example:

1907HObvsml.JPG

1907HRevsml.JPG

jj00, Paddy54, SPP Ottawa and 3 others like this.
  16. SuperDave

But wait, there's more!

1908Obvposting.JPG

1908Revposting.JPG

Doubling seems to abound in this series. I love it. :)

1908Obvdetail1.JPG

17. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Looks like a little machine/mechanical doubling. Also lots of repunched final digits in the Ed series.

18. SuperDave

Machine doubling, by definition evidenced by practice, cannot separate serifs. If you see split serifs, it's on the die.

19. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Maybe I should have written about the 1908 DDO before I went and sold mine!! (Or maybe I can just use your photos!) ;)

20. SuperDave

I would cheerfully concede right of publication should you wish. It's the least I can do in return. :)

I've no idea whether this particular die work is documented; heck, I haven't seen enough of these yet to even have a confident feel for grading, much less variety attribution. As you can see, under more relevant magnification the die appears a bit more....busy than first noted.

1908Obvdetail2.JPG

1908Obvdetail3.JPG

Edit: For the record, this one's already noted over at Coins & Canada.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  21. SuperDave

Aside a small recently-detached lamination right of the date, this one hasn't much going on except a few wispy die cracks. It's just proof of my weakness for Woodies. :)

1912Obvsml.JPG

1912Revsml.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted