Post your New Old Canadian coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jello, Jan 14, 2015.

1. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

Usually take them to a Coin Laundry.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

1899 Large Cent (needs a new holder)

1899 Canada Large Cent Rev MS 64 RB-tile.jpg

4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jj00 likes this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Hmmm. I already put one of these over in the "World Coins" thread; this seems the better location. I've decided to do Canadian Large Cents in 2017. This is where we stand so far; I've 8 more coming - 3 Vickies, two Edwards and three more Georges. The final of these below will be getting its' own thread, where I will (hopefully) demonstrate removing the verdigris. It's a lovely coin otherwise.

NGC62BN:

1911LargeCentObvPosting.JPG

1911LargeCentRevPosting.JPG

1917 (former) ICCS MS62 Lustrous Brown:

1917LargeCentObvPosting.JPG

1917LargeCentRevPosting.JPG

1918 (former) ICCS MS62RB:

1918LargeCentObvPosting.JPG

1918LargeCentRevPosting.JPG

1920 (former) ICCS MS62 Lustrous Brown:

1920LargeCentObvPosting.JPG

1920LargeCentRevPosting.JPG

None of these have reached the sum of US$25, although I'm well aware that's not going to hold all the way back; among those coming are an MS63 1859 and a nice AU 1907H, which ain't to be had for $25. :)

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Dave I just posted this evening that this series has tweaks my interest . I have a dealer friend who sells world coins,he will be at the show this coming Sunday . I plan to go through his inventory will keep you posted.
    BTW all of the above are superb specimens !

7. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The good thing about Eds and Geos is that most can be had, in lower MS, for well less than $25 ... some even less than $10. Canadian Large Cents are a joy to collect and will keep you busy for decades if you enter the variety realm.

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. richfo3

richfo3 Member

Cryptic post :pompous: Without me asking the Question Can you tell me if it is or not. I am guessing with the wealth of knowledge you guys have you know what I am asking;) 1951missingchrome19455cobv.jpg

spirityoda and jello like this.
  9. Paddy54

Judging from your images the 1944 isn't a Tombac nickel as it doesn't again by your image look dull as a 1944 Tombac nickel would look. It also shows signs of PMD at 1 K on the rim. That also Imho isn't the broken die variety . It is however the 2104 die crack under the king variety .
    The 1951 is the low relief as the A points between the denticals . This coin it also details due to the scratches .

jello likes this.
  10. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

So are we looking at a low or high relief 1951 5 cent piece? The "A" in GRATIA does not point to the denticle. Thus it is a low relief example.

The 1944 5 Cent has to be steel with a thin nickel plating not a Tombac. Correct me if I am wrong.

11. Sullykerry2

Touche Paddy 54

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

To the best of my knowledge of Canadian nickel varieties you sir are correct . The 44 is a variety as stated above crack under the king see it running from the bust tip ?

jello likes this.
  13. Paddy54

The 1951 may also be a variety called clash around the king from the images provided I can't make the call.
    But there looks to be something in the areas in question .

14. Sullykerry2

Paddy54: You ought to change your meme to "Hawkeye"

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. richfo3

richfo3 Member

Wow lots of Info I wasn't even aware of. Actually I was going to ask if the 1951 was the missing chrome variety.

16. Paddy54

Well as a water fowler I could tell you what birds were flying in from a 1/4 mile by counting wing beats! Not bragging just facts. :pompous:

17. Sullykerry2

Would that take into account a headwind or a tailwind?

18. Paddy54

What kind of duck? Sea ducks are very interesting to hunt.
    As they can fly up to around 75 mph right down on the deck..... they can also dive down to a 100 foot depth .
    Only problem is they taste like fish. :vomit:

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, if all you ever ate was fish you'd probably taste like one too.

20. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

1913 Canada Half Dollar

Attached Files:

jello, jj00 and mackat like this.
  21. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Today I got a nice looking 1939 commemorative dollar for a very reasonable price. It has a few dings on the edges (I think I might have added the one by "VI" carrying it into the house...oops), but I still like it :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jello and jj00 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted