Post Your New Canadian Acquisitions

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kookoox10, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

JJ your around more than Bill. Plus as Good to!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

well, I'm around a lot that's true, but nowhere near Bill in his expertise;

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Well we have no scale to gauge expertise JJ.
    We just know that your answers are some of the Best!!!!

:)

5. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

Nope, but I became obsessed with Canadian Large Cents when I found a few in an old wallet of my Dad's (he died when I was little). I was already a coin nerd anyway. Once I was employed and had some money, I decided to finish the collection. It's merely a coincidence that my son is now in grad school in Vancouver. How a-boat that!

6. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

To me, the bumps on the 9's point, the horn to the left, and the doubled upper right edge on this cent look exactly like the Charlton photo:

Attached Files:

7. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

... and this 1927 British halfpenny counts as Canadian, because my son's friend found it on a Vancouver beach.
    20150112_221000.jpg 20150112_220920.jpg

49ers and jello like this.
  8. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Your first coin is a 9/8. There were 13 different reverse dies that had a larger/rounder font 9 handpunched in over the initial 8 into the working die. The initial order for Canada was 10 million coins and they started late in '58. When the mint saw how fast the Reverse working dies were breaking, and with the Royal Mint in London was using the same presses & machinery that they used on the Brit half-penny (same dia) they made a quick decision. The Canadian cents were bronze, harder than the copper brit coins, and they were 1/3 thinner which led to great stresses on the dies. For all of the remaining coins to be dated 1859 (maybe 7-8 million left on the orig order), they ground off the last digit 8 from the hub (the hub is what is pressed into the working die blanks to make the working dies). Once they completed all the working dies (now incuse/incised with just 185), they had to hand -punch in the final 9 into the die. To do this required 2-4 whacks with the hammer and punch with a hardening of the punch and annealing of the die blank between each whack. It could have been hours or days or weeks between the whacks so they never lined up perfectly with the last whacks. For this reason, the 1859's are absolutely filled with repunched 9's that are all over the place... high, low, left, right or tilted either direction from each of the 2-4 hand-whacked punch attempts.

You second coin is one of those. It could be the one that has been named "triple-punch 9" in Charlton & trends or it could be just a different '59 that has been triple punched. Check to see if your coin has a die crack from leaf 11 tip to the denticle(leaf 11 is just to the left and slightly lower than the 1 in the date. Then see if you have a large D/C between Victoria and Dei. Your scan and lack of the full reverse (you have to know markers to properly ID) prevents me from saying yes or no. Good luck

cletis faye, 49ers, jello and 2 others like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Vancouver, eh? ... UBC, that's where I got my BaSC (small world)

=> Good luck with your Canadian collection!

jlesliec likes this.
  10. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I've got it for 7 $ 50 cents (USA $, not Canadian) today. Is it a good price and what is the grade?

Attached Files:

• 105.jpg
      105.jpg
      File size:
      100 KB
      Views:
    • 106.jpg
      106.jpg
      File size:
      92.4 KB
      Views:
    Eng, jello, jj00 and 1 other person like this.
  11. trussell

trussell Active Member

One of the smallest coins I have.

Attached Files:

jello, jj00 and jlesliec like this.
  12. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

My son is in grad Environmental Resources at UBC rival Simon Fraser... though he might finish his PhD at UBC. I think he's waiting till the city builds that subway to the UBC campus!

stevex6 likes this.
  13. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

Wow, thanx for all the info, Bill! Looks like I found the expert.

14. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

Thanx for all the info, Bill! Yep, both of the D/Cs are there, as you specify. I'll try to take a snap of each in my "copious free time."

15. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

BTW: I very seldom drop in to the threads titled "Post your latest Canadian ..." I always thought that was just a place to post what someone had in their collections and already knew what they had. I always pop in for threads that deal with a certain date where someone needs something answered. If you have questions that you want answered, just put the date and Cent in the title and I'll answer them. Going through 60+ pages of posts is overkill.

jlesliec likes this.
  16. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

jlesliec: OK, you have a triple-punched (TP)#1 1859. It is a very scarce coin and currently Trends for $450 Cdn in VF-20. It's $350 in F-12 and $800 in XF-40

Siberian: Check and see if your '67 is .800 or .500 silver. Below MS-62, it's bullion value so, if you paid $7.50, it was too much. I can't grade a coin with a scan and a computer screen. Sorry.

Siberian Man and jlesliec like this.
  17. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Just picked up a couple cool Canadian coins:

1887 10 Cents

Canada - 1887 10 Cents.jpg

1872 H 25 Cents
    I believe this is the Large 2? I realize all the PMD this coin has (looks like a detector find IMO) but there is a pretty cool lamination peel on the reverse to the right of the date.

Canada - 1872 H 25 Cents.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    spirityoda, Derick, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Bill We welcome your comments and wish would like to stop by or add email selection of thread. I don't think there to many die variety on first 55 pages unless we missed them.
    I'm sure folks would mind re posting anything they think you can help with.
    :)

jlesliec likes this.
  19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Just Kind
    One member sent me some needed dates. 20150113_173445-1.jpg 20150113_173347-1.jpg

Derick, stevex6, jlesliec and 2 others like this.
  20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

21. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

Oh yeah, well 1854 Upper Canada halfpenny bank token... Image50.jpg Image51.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted