Post your National Bank Notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Duke Kavanaugh, May 24, 2010.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'll start...and see if we can keep it going....thru the alphabet? Use State or City for the letter...and let's try not to repeat our notes.

A is for Alabama :D

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Alright I'll go next:

B is for Wilkes-BARRE

[​IMG]

4. Duke Kavanaugh

C is for Chicago

[​IMG]

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Alright....

D is for Denison

[​IMG]

6. Duke Kavanaugh

7. reiljj00

reiljj00 Junior Member

I am sure I have an E, I will chesk when I have a chance.
    John

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Yea cause I just checked and have no E

:(

9. Duke Kavanaugh

I have an F but can't post it yet...need a Ewing Texas or a Erie Penn or a Emporia Kansas or a :D

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I've got a G.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

I have no Nationals in my collection at this time but while we are waiting for an 'E' to show up, I was curious why so many of the National Bank Notes we see are in such low grades (no offense to anyone's notes). Even those I see in Heritage listings are more often than not notes with significant horizontal and vertical folds, a lot of wear and an almost characteristic dirty brown/tanned paper. Are there just not many populations of these notes left in higher grades or are the prices so astronomical as you approach unc. notes and above that they are just beyond most collectors budgets? Were they destroyed in vast quantities leaving only notes tucked away and not necessarily protected in collections in the past?

12. Duke Kavanaugh

I'm not 100% on this but if you think about the time there was a lot of trouble in the currency back then. Many changes and the great depression so I don't think there were many saved in high grades. I don't see them very often and with over 14k banks being issued it's more of a what bank you have then a what grade. The grads do count just not near as much in any other field I'd say.
    Matter of fact the Kelly book just lists them in one price and you give a multiple for grade increases. That's right no prices for any other grades.
    Weird I know :D

Anyway I went to the bank to check because I though for sure I had a Erie note but it was not there...well at least in that box lol
    So we'll wait for a E to show up...

What is the G you have lettow?

13. reiljj00

reiljj00 Junior Member

I have an Elmira, an East St. Louis, and an East Rochester, according to my records. I just don't have much time to get to them. Probably by the end of the week. But I suspect someone else will post one by then.
    Sorry for any delay,
    John

14. Duke Kavanaugh

Hey the delay is good with me jeiljj00!!
    Just glad we're gonna have one :D

Does eveyone want me to wait on going ahead for the E knowing that it's comming or not?

15. krispy

krispy krispy

...or three! WOW! :bow:

I like the premise of this alphabetical order of notes to be posted. Cool idea Duke.

16. Duke Kavanaugh

After we get thru the list I'm thinking we can do the same thing with the States in order...some states are a bugger too.

17. lettow

lettow Senior Member

When you consider Nationals as a type, there are plenty of better condition notes in the market. Few people collect Nationals by type, however. Most collect a particular state or states or region or city. If you are looking at a note from a bank with only 5 small size known, how many do you really expect to be in UNC condition?

If you are just looking for type notes, there are some that came out in hoards of AU-UNC notes that you can find at reasonable prices. They may be on banks that you would otherwise not have an interest in because of the name or location, but they are out there.

18. Duke Kavanaugh

Would you tell me of some of those banks that you can get in Unc that were in numbers so the prices on those are less?
    I'd love to get a few of them like that.

19. reiljj00

reiljj00 Junior Member

Yeah like Alaska, boy oh boy I can't wait until I see one of those at auction!
    John

20. Duke Kavanaugh

Yep Alaska and Hawaii and some of the western states all get tough. Still looking to get my Alaska too :(

21. reiljj00

reiljj00 Junior Member

These are on my photobucket, I haven't added anything to this page in a while, I am really not that computer savy, and mostly all of my notes are in the SDB at the bank.
    http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...My%20Currency/

I know it is the safest place for them to be right no, but I have the pain in the @$$ it is to get them. I have had crazy thoughts about building a huge steele and concrete walk in safe at my house, but that will probably have to wait.
    John

Draft saved Draft deleted