Post your MPC or War Notes in Honor of Soldiers Remains coming home !!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by GrimReaper, Sep 3, 2011.

1. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Bzzzt

Incorrect. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mtnstyne

mtnstyne New Member

Those are "Planchettes". They are the pink and blue small dots added to the paper as an anti-counterfeit device.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Great information on your site, it will be most helpful for those wanting to get in to MPC :)
    I myself have been doing Military Payment Certificates exclusivley for 17+ years and just
    Love it!! have allot of high grade rare stuff as well :)

5. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

I believe they are "planchets" — The word used for a round metal disk that is ready to be struck as a coin. A "planchette" is basically a Ouija board, a small, usually heart-shaped flat piece of wood that one moves around on a board to spell out messages or answer questions.

6. mpcusa

Dont believe how effective planchets were since they will transfer to a copy and maintain
    Color, even though they are slightly raised the majority of people wouldnt know this.
    Just thought i would throw my two cents in on that :)

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Rusty, you of all people should know that this is a position number, not a plate number. MPC is printed by offset lithography not intaglio printing. The small number identifies the position of the note on the sheet of notes and is not a reference to a printing plate. Position numbers were part of the final printing of the note along with the serial number.

8. mtnstyne

mtnstyne New Member

I only have an old 1975 Whitman as reference but it uses the spelling "planchettes".

"Paper: All issues are produced on unwatermarked paper in which are embedded tiny blue and pink colored discs called planchettes. Planchettes are widely used as an anti-counterfeiting device."

I have a scrip with one of the discs that has somehow worked it's way to the surface and is just sitting there on top. I have been tempted to remove it but I am sure I would lose it.

9. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Planchets are randomly placed in the paper so this is possible. You can also find notes where the planchet has come loose and a small white circle appears in tis place.

10. mpcusa

Yes Jim, i already know all about the positions, as i was explaining to lucyray about getting her note
    Graded by PCGS which refers to the Position number as a "PLATE" why i have no idea they just do
    Please take a look at the Series 681 $1 i posted and you can see what i mean :)

That,s there term not mine...LOL

11. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

here is one from my mpc collection

1-Dollar.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted