Post your MPC or War Notes in Honor of Soldiers Remains coming home !!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by GrimReaper, Sep 3, 2011.

1. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Senior Member

Guys this gives me chills to the bone , but a wonderful story !! This is the brother of a close Family Friend and I just wanted to share with you guys . Soldiers remains will be laid to rest Sept. 26th , 2011 ...., 45 Years to the day after being shot down on Sept. 26th , 1966 . It has been a tough time for the family not knowing all these years whether he was a P.O.W. , lost , dead or what and this has brought some much needed closure for the family .
    The helicopter was shot down and him being the gunner had fallen out and pinned underneath where he had died . Long story short chopper was seen going down by a village woman and reported it then and years later now . There was one survivor (Pilot) , one or two others were recovered from wreckage and then the brothers remains (Gunner) who now is returning home !! Would have been better if he would have came home alive but at least he wasn't tortured as a P.O.W. for 45 yrs . Anyway I thought some of you would like to hear about this .

Linky

Thank You for Your Sevice , Past or Present !!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Sorry I'm still new to collecting, I have no idea what a war notes look like. I feel so ashamed.

4. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

While I reaize this is pretty weak; I feel bad that the only othe person that has cared to respond to your post doesn't have a clue what your talking about so here it goes:
    IMG_1488.jpg

Keep in mind I wasn't even going to post this because its so little but I thought more people would care to reply to your thread. Your looking at a Emergency Hawaii $20 for WW2, an Emergency $10 Europe N. Africa for WW2, and both for $1 denomination.
    My condulences (sp?) go out to the family of that soldier.

5. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I posted a picture of some common war notes. The ones that say "HAWAII" and have brown seals and serial #'s were notes released to Hawaii during WW2. If Hawaii had been captured by the Japanies, the government would have deemed these special Hawaii notes worthless that way the enemy couldn't get a hold of our money and use our money against us. Same goes for the European N. African Yellow seal and serials. These yellow S.C. bills were issued out to the armed forces of Europe and North African during WW2. Enjoy ~~

P.S. Don't feel ashamed! This stuff takes time! Use this forum to learn and gain knowledge about this hobby; not to feel ashamed :thumb:

6. GJ1103

GJ1103 coin addicted Navy man

As a current service member I would love to post some War notes in his honor, I just don't own any. Thank you for starting this thread. I do hope everyone starts posting.

tbud - those are very nice notes, thank you for sharing.

7. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

[​IMG]

One of my favorite series

8. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Here's my US MPCs.
    Surprised mpcusa hasn't posted yet.. :)

First up: Vietnam MPC
    DSCN1239.jpg DSCN1238.jpg

Another Vietnam MPC
    DSCN1246.jpg DSCN1247.jpg

9. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

deleted. Probably should have clicked the linky first haha. It was Vietnam. Here's the notes anyways in honor of those who fought along side us in WWII.

Attached Files:

10. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

11. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Thanks I feel better now, felt bad not knowing what a war note was. I'm still learning slowly but I'm getting there.

12. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

My contribution:
    phili1edited.jpg phili2edited.jpg

malay1edited.jpg malay2edited.jpg

Guy

13. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Does anybody on here know of the ones I posted count as actual "war notes"? They should but I noticed no one else posted any similar to mine.

14. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

I have only one mpc, and am out of town right now. When I get home, I will scan it and post it here..to help "Remember".

A thoughtful thread, this one.

Lucy

15. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I'm sure everyone noticed, but perhaps wanted to post something different to add variety, which is what has been done. Your notes are very nice. I have a similar Hawaii note, but no image of it to post.
    Guy

16. My pride and joy right here

Attached Files:

• 611.jpg
      611.jpg
      File size:
      271.3 KB
      Views:
    • 611-2.jpg
      611-2.jpg
      File size:
      269.6 KB
      Views:
  17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

God bless those that served, fought, were wounded and even died for our freedom.

[​IMG]

I am also proud to live in a country where soldiers lost in wars so long ago are not forgotten, and they are still being found and identified and brought home where they belong.

18. Honolulu Dick

Honolulu Dick Junior Member

Many thanks for sharing the the story of a hero having his remains returned home. Good on you!

For those of us who were infantry Grunts in Vietnam, the helicopter DoorGunners were our heroes. They kept us supplied with desperately needed ammo, C-rations and life-sustaining potable water to quench our parched throats. No matter how exhausted and grimy with rice paddy mud we were, the sound of in-coming chopper blades and the sight of a DoorGunner waving to us, gave us the extra we needed to keep on keeping on.

Even when the bullets were flying, being Grunts, we could crouch down next to a rice paddy dike. Not the DoorGunner, they had nowhere to go. They had to remain fully exposed, in a slowly settling aircraft, to the automatic weapons-fire being thrown at them. They courageously faced the impossible in order that we ground-pounders were kept supplied. Respected them then! Continue to admire them now!

Unffortunately, the loss of America's finest continues. However, a new twist has been added ... the presence of a spouse. Recently lost [KIA 25JUN11, Kunar Province, Afghanistan] an exceptionally courageous young warrior brother. He died being a hero, with the handset of his radio in his hand as he called for fire support to save his pinned-down platoon. Both he and his Army wife were West Pointers, they took airborne training and jumped out of airplanes together, he graduated from the Army's Ranger School and they both were assigned to the 25th Infantry Division [Tropical Lightning], Schofield Barracks, HI. They deployed to A-stan together. She was assigned to Forward Operating Base [FOB] Fenty, the location of the 3rd Brigade Headquarters. Being an infantry Grunt, he was assigned to FOB Joyce, in the more distant boonies.

When his unit became involved in a firefight, his wife was in the Brigade's Tactical Operations Center [TOC] listening to the radio transmissions. She heard enough to know that her husband's unit was in deep trouble and had taken casualties. Her worst fears were confirmed when her unit commander and Chaplain approached her wearing solemn expressions. She is now a young, beautiful, 24-year old widow, having lost the one and only love of her life. This is an American tragedy, one that most of us are not aware of. It turns out that the most dedicated among us sacrifice the most to preserve our way of life.

Sharing helps. Thanks!

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

[​IMG]

Wow, Honolulu, reading your post stirred up some old memories from when I was a young kid and all this was going on.

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Draft saved Draft deleted