Post your most beautiful coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The well known phase; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, holds true. To me all of my coins are beautiful, so picking just one or two does an injustice to the others.
    I love all of the posted coins here, so keep posting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Jerimaiah Johsnon

4. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Little bit of nice pastel toning on this one
    20201031_084713~3.jpg 20201031_085152.jpg

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

7. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

This is one of my favorites. The subtle colors, textures, shadowing of the surfaces really pops in these photos. DSCN0742~2.JPG DSCN0743~2.JPG

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I have never seen an anchiet coin THAT round. Nice

14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Found this in a roll yesterday its a decent character. 20210501_192648.jpg 20210501_192711.jpg

Penny Luster and William F like this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Cleaned but not polished.

17. William F

Found this one in an all-wheat roll off the bay 20210324_072736~2.jpg 20210324_072804~2.jpg

18. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

You got it certified?.

19. William F

No, I just took a picture of it on top of a slab lol, prolly wouldn't have been worth it to get it certified

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  20. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

It took me apparently seven years, but I managed to meet up with the dealer I sold this coin to ... he still had it! He was going to sell it back to me for what I paid for it, but I insisted he take a bit of profit as well ... this hobby-profession is NOT all about the money to me. So glad to have this coin back, and (I hear God laughing) I do not plan to part with her again anytime soon!

Kind regards,

George

21. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

Well, it depends. Certainly not a yes or no question. In general proofs are made to higher quality standards than coins for circulation (so-called business or circulation strikes). But that can mean, sometimes, that it is more difficult to find high-quality survivors of the circulation issues (meaning, Uncirculated business strikes) than it is to find high-quality proof survivors of the same date and mint for a given issue.

Speaking as a longtime dealer, in general I tend to favor business strikes, and most of my customers collect business strikes, either Uncirculated or circulated, for their sets and collections.

But proof coins can be quite beautiful too, with (ideally, and sometimes) flawless surfaces that can develop extremely attractive patina, or other times can show flashy, mirrored fields and frosty devices.

These are a couple of fairly modern and inexpensive British proof coins that have toned nicely. Just a random sample of something I have at hand. The first is nickel-brass, the second is silver. Both have developed attractive (to me) patina:

Great Britain 3d 1937 S-4112 Nickel-Brass PR64 PCGS 34539947 Trueview.jpg
    Great Britain 6d 1937 S-4084 SILVER PR64 PCGS 85788119 Trueview.jpg

But as always, collect what you like, and learn all you possibly can about it before you open your wallet!

Kind regards,

George

cplradar and potty dollar 1878 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted