Post Your Morgan Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jello, Jul 11, 2010.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I picked up this toned 1890-S and do have a question. The "S" on the back looks to be S/S. There is a larger "S" under a smaller "s". Is there such a Morgan ? Here are two pictures.. DSC01056 (2).JPG DSC01060.JPG where can I look.

Santinidollar and jello like this.
  4. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave I thought I was VAM-2 when I looked at it last night. I bought it years ago and I did think the die crack was cool but I didn't think any further about it. Considering it does not add any value I will just make a note of it in my spreadsheet.

5. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

A very nice MS62 coin with a semi PL reverse. This coin will easily upgrade to an MS63, but the difference is only like $65 so not worth cracking out.

Attached Files:

Santinidollar, jj00, jello and 2 others like this.
  6. DMPL_dingo

DMPL_dingo Well-Known Member

That’s a lovely specimen. Semi-key date that’s currently undervalued. No need to crack it out…definitely worth submitting for regrade though.

7. DMPL_dingo

On a binge of late, nice and frosty devices...full dimple strike :headphone:

1879S DPL - 3.jpg
    1879S DPL - 1.jpg
    1879S DPL - 4.jpg

dwhiz, Skyman, Santinidollar and 2 others like this.
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  9. DMPL_dingo

Nope, haven’t even taken out the loupe yet :) Anything jump out to you?

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

She's a common date in 62 and I never vammed her because there are no "list" vams for 82p. Decided I needed to know so I went hunting. Turns out she's a vam 28 but here's the kicker, she's an EDS with gnarly strong gouges under 1-2 left stars and as of 2013 only 3 yes 3 examples of the EDS have been found. Wonder if that has held? Anyway, enjoy some cool and unique gouges...

http://www.vamworld.com/1882-P VAM-28

20160513_082447.jpg 20160513_082615.jpg 20160513_083122.jpg 20160513_082847.jpg 20160513_082926.jpg 20160513_083032.jpg

dwhiz, Skyman and jello like this.
  11. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

12. Dancing Fire

IMG_4514.JPG IMG_4519.JPG IMG_4522.JPG IMG_4524.JPG PCGS MS63 1892-CC

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    HAB Peace 28 2.0, dwhiz, jj00 and 3 others like this.
  13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

14. Dancing Fire

Yup, If it doesn't sell it will be crack. The coin is posted on WTS forum;)

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I sure wouldn't want to sell that lady.

16. John King

John King Member

What is obsession with buying common Morgans in MS65 or DMPL? I already have common Morgans and some CC's. I am trying to fill a set and finding it tough going if I want decent coins at decent prices. Some are just out of sight for me and always will be, but there are many I could buy in AU condition but they still want way too much for these coins at Ebay or other auction sites IMO. I could probably get a 1921 Morgan in MS65 but why would I want to do that?

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding? I think the answer though is rarity. Gem morgans above ms65 for the most part aside early 80's issues and a few others are much more rare than anything 64 and below. Even the 21's are pricy in 64 and start getting rare in 65 and above. Dmpls are an entirely different animal. They are quite rare as only the first few from new or repolished dies are dmpl then a few more in pl then they're just plain buisness strikes. The rarity and beauty of a full dmpl let alone high grade ones is something words cannot describe. That's what great about morgans, there are so many ways to collect and enjoy them from the inexpensive to the sets that take a billionaire to assemble. Now, let's talk about toners and monsters and VAMs, oh my :)

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The sheer physical size of a Morgan makes it all the more dramatic in higher grade and quality. They're so large that it's literally possible (with a little care) to shave in the reflection of a DMPL example. I've done it. There's a reason they call them "headlights." If you haven't owned a DMPL Morgan, seek one out. Mid-1880's Philly and New Orleans examples are fairly common and attainable.

Same goes for the higher grade pieces. Large as they are, it brings home the lesson and the beauty of a well-struck, well-preserved coin better than any other issue. All the little things you need to squint at to appreciate a really nice Quarter are bold, beautiful and in your face with a Morgan, rendering a loupe superfluous. A Morgan with a perfectly clean cheek presents an initial impression - regardless of how chattery the fields are - of a near-perfect coin. I'm not in any financial condition to be collecting Morgans like I used to, but there is still an 1880- or 1881-S in MS66 on my bucket list. $250 should do it.

All of this would apply to any Dollar-sized issue, of course. The thing is, Morgans are so relatively plentiful in this kind of condition (Heritage has over ten thousand auction records of DMPL Morgans) that they've achieved a self-sustaining popularity level. You hear so much about them because so many people can have them. :)

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

20. DMPL_dingo

1885 dimple :)

1885DMPL - 1 (2).jpg
    1885DMPL - 1 (1).jpg
    1885DMPL - 1 (4).jpg 1885DMPL - 1 (5).jpg

Skyman, dwhiz, jello and 3 others like this.
  21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, I want it. You know I'm a sucker for a nice 81s, right CBD :)

C-B-D likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted