Post Your Morgan Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jello, Jul 11, 2010.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Santini, I like yours too ! :D

Santinidollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

4. GoldFinger1969

I don't understand the VAM designation....seems very confusing.

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Die were retooled and die marriages got switched in each mint. Variety Attuned Morgan dollar. Is what VAM means. Reading explain more.
    :)

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. Hommer

Not a big deal for me, but for some, they try to collect all the Vams. My interpretation of a Vam would be an identification of the die pair that made it. In some cases the surviving coins from those dies are many and in others quite rare. There is a designated TOP 50 and TOP 100, which is based on that rarity. A doubled die is a VAM or identifiable die pair.
    Many collect varieties, VAMs are varieties.

7. GoldFinger1969

Questions for you Morgan experts:

(1) What is the most expensive Morgan some of you have purchased ? Any particular reason why -- trying to get as close to a complete collection as possible ? Just liked the coin ?

(2) Any recommendations for an affordable and good year (and mint strike) to get a DMPL ? What about a regular common that is very plentiful but that I can go high-up in the grade (I have an MS-67 1879-S) to make it a bit more selective? Finally, any recommendations for a GSA with the NGC wrap ?

8. Hommer

I don't have alot of money to spend on my hobby, I do have others. I have said before, coin collecting to some is akin to them buying a race horse, the thrill is in the gamble, to what I consider a true collector, it's the thrill of just having it.

I buy what I like in my price range. If I had the money to purchase all MS 67s, I don't know that I would, that's not where the thrill is for me. I do shop for the best price that I can get for what I collect though. The coin that I posted above I have $35 bucks in. Is it worth more or less really doesn't matter as much to me as just having what I like. There is a saying, buy what you like just in case you have to eat it.........

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This 1881 S I believe it's an spiked 8? Vam A-1 ? 1881 S Morgan Spiked 8.jpg 1881 S Spiked 8.jpg 1881 S  1.jpg 1881 S  2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I don't usually buy Morgans but this looked good to me. 1884 O PCGS MS62.jpg

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

dwhiz and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  12. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

1892 O
    (last coin I needed for my Morgan year set!)

1892 O USA Morgan Silver Dollar Obv MS63.JPG 1892 O USA Morgan Silver Dollar Rev MS63.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Morgandude11, jello, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

14. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Toned is just a beautiful piece here is my 1897 I just got, the breast feathers are still well defined, I really like it. DSC00800 (2).JPG DSC00802 (2).JPG

15. Paddy54

1888 S Morgan wing vam 4-crop.jpg I believe this 1888 S to be a Vam #4 Over polished wing R-4 1888 Morgan Vam #4.jpg 1888 S Morgan MM-crop.jpg

Dave Waterstraat, jello and Skyman like this.
  16. Paddy54

1891 S Morgan Vam 6A R-5 Pitted wing 1891 S Morgan Vam 6A.jpg 1891 S Pitted wing-crop.jpg

Dave Waterstraat, jj00, jello and 2 others like this.
  17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Most expensive Morgan I have ever purchased? 1884s Morgan in MS 61. It is crazy in MS condition-- a real conditional rarity. Second most expensive? An 1893S in AU 53. I have owned two of that date-- the AU, and an XF 45.

As I have said several times, the middle years o mint DMPLs are the best value for low pop and good price. High grade Common Morgan? Get 1879s, 1880s, 1881s, and 1882s all in 66 or above condition.

GSA with NGC Ribbon? 1882-1884cc in MS 65+ or MS 65 PL. or, get the " sleeper--" the 1885cc in MS 65.

18. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

19. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Spectacular. VAM-51?

It sometimes amazes me at how faithfully polishing lines are reproduced in the strike, when you consider how thin they are.

21. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Pretty coin! 65+? 66?

Draft saved Draft deleted