Post Your Morgan Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jello, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Unquestionably. It is a very high eye appeal coin. How about sending it to NGC to see if it will cross as 65 PL star, specifying minimum 65 PL. I think it gets a star for eye appeal.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I had raised the point of "LAR" in PM; it scared me at first.

Cascade likes this.
  4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I knew that :)

Cascade likes this.
  5. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Here are some of mine

Attached Files:

6. Morgandude11

My latest. Just misses being a $2000 coin by a hair, but not quite there.

82s A.jpg 82s B.jpg

jj00, charlietig, Eric White and 6 others like this.
  7. redcent230

I see that most of the 3rd party graders are weak these days. In the past they were more stricter or tighter in grading. From the picture of your coin doesn't look MS66+, but again it could be the pic . Other than that I LOVE Morgan Silver Dollar.

8. Morgandude11

OH please. If any coin looks 66+, this one does. I would not have bought it if it didn't. It is so bright that it is hard to get a picture of it where it doesn't glare. It actually looks close to 67.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Santinidollar likes this.
  9. Jackie O. French

Jackie O. French New Member

Look what I found under the rainbow! Love the colors IMG_0054 (2).JPG IMG_0054.JPG

Attached Files:

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

11. Jackie O. French

Jackie O. French New Member

Thanks Chris

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Sexy girl! Neon green just about the most coveted color a Morgan can have. Nice pickup

13. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Sorry to rain on your parade, but PCGS would probably grade that 66. Same goes for mine. Although, it is a very nice coin.

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

15. redcent230

Sorry I wasn't trying to put you down or anything. Just a thought of mine. So what you pay for that coin ??

16. redcent230

Nice color toned 1885 O Morgan

17. redcent230

Here is some more

Attached Files:

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

19. Morgandude11

Yeah, generally. If it were PL, it would be a 2k coin. It is close, but not quite. I really love your coin-- nice strike, and great eye appeal. I am going to try and bean mine.

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This is where we run into the (large) difference between evaluating a coin from harsh digital imagery, and in-hand under softer lighting. It would break your eyes to spend as much time looking at coins under lighting suitable for camera work as under the lighting you'd normally use. It's two completely different sets of rules.

First, take everything on that coin which looks "black," and forget it exists. A digital camera "sees" minor differences in surface finish which you wouldn't notice in-hand as glaring differences in reflectivity, and they're completely overexaggerated in the resulting image.

Morgandude's coin has two marks on it - the vertical and horizontal ones behind the mouth - and nothing else. The mark under the M in AMERICA might be visible to the naked eye, but only maybe. That, and near-PL fields, makes for an easy 66+. If those marks were anywhere else but on the cheek, it's 67+ or better.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ah ha. I want even thinking about PL. Those images threw me off. Solid for the grade though which is why I suggested the bean :)

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted