Post your lowest "mintage" coin in your collection.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ACSearch lists this coin as extremely rare. There are only 3 listed. I have one not on ACSearch.

I enjoy it as I am intrigued by its odd denomination: 5/12th of an As.

The Quincunx: Roman Republic, Luceria Mint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AE Quincunx
    Luceria mint, 210 BCE,
    6.96g
    Obv: Laureate head of Apollo right "Pi" behind
    Rev: The Dioscuri galloping right, five pellets below.
    Ref: CR 99/4; Syd 309; S 912
    Luceria mint,
    Ex: Aegean, Ex CNG 42, lot 760 (part of) 5/29/97, Ex RBW collection with envelope
    Comment: Rare denomination that was only made for one year.

Kurisu and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

oh and on checking the US coin with the lowest mintage is my 2014 P high relief silver kennedy at 219,173...
    2014p.jpg 2014pr.jpg

scottishmoney and Kurisu like this.
  4. Steve Shupe

Steve Shupe Active Member

My lowest is probably a J-125 3-Cent silver pattern of 1850. estimated mintage is about 50 pieces. My regular issue is an 1872 MS66PL 3-cent silver with a mintage of 1000.

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I really don't know my rarest, but this one came to mind...Guatemala 4 Reales, mintage 7,664.
    4 reales.jpg

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, I like that design a lot.

7. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

This might be my lowest mintage coin-- 1871 Mexican gold peso, mintage 1,000

1871 Mexico 1 peso obv.jpeg 1871 Mexico 1 peso rev.jpeg

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Maybe ask to move this thread to World Coins and then tokens and medals, overstrikes or other artistic renditions won't be posted. US is part of the World so people with US minted coins could post their lowest mintage legal tender coins, including those made by the FM for sovereign nations, as well.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Paddy54 likes this.
  9. Seated J

Seated J Well-Known Member

1866 proof half dollar, mintage 725:
    661633-1.jpg 661633-2.jpg

My lowest mintage circulating coin, 1824 Wurttemburg gulden, mintage 21,000: Wurttemburg-1824-gulden-obv.jpg Wurttemburg-1824-gulden-rev.jpg

10. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

1885 $2.50 Gold

g021885P1o.JPG g021885P1rLT.JPG

Attached Files:

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

12. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Bookmarked. Thank you for the resource! I had no idea that there was a full- on variety log of 3CNs - although it's hard to deny the wealth of varieties is enormous, especially being one of the first copper-nickel coins the US mint struck in large circulation quantities.

-jeffB, wxcoin and Paddy54 like this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This was at one time a $500 hard cover book! Im glad its of use to you and others....your very welcome.
    I like to add that over the years I've been very impressed by your knowledge ,and passion for our hobby.
    I also appreciate your maturity contributing over the years with well researched post's, and your polite respect of older members. Its a pleasure reading your post. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Omegaraptor, scottishmoney and -jeffB like this.
  14. Paddy54

This thread is about "lowest Mintages "of" legitimate goverments" mintages...not vams, varieties...or counterfeits,over strikes of a business....that defaces another legitimate coutries money. Thanks.

wxcoin likes this.
  15. Paddy54

You know Larry I believe that they used the same punches in 62 for both dimes and half dimes. The digits used on this specimen always looks so perfect,as well the style of the numbers. It is a smaller date well centered on both series....the digits very small and stylish.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  16. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Beautiful coin. Question though, is the picture not representative of the coin in hand? That coin (from the pic at least) looks like it should be DCAM or at the very minimum CAM.

17. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Sinope - amazon wearing wolf skin.JPG
    Population of one!
    I have never been able to find another example of this coin and only one obscure reference to it. That said, it's been years since I last tried.
    Sorry for the cut off photo.

furryfrog02, Kurisu and Paddy54 like this.
  18. Paddy54

No worries thats very cool.....coin. Lucky find being 1 of a kind....the only issues I've had over the years
    Is finding more information on a ultra rare specimen or value.
    Its funny everyones wants your find.....but no one wants to pay a fair price.
    I find the same thing with my varieties, it got so that I cherry pick just for thee find....telling quite a few dealers that they have more meat left on the bone.
    One cannot afford everything one finds....but no one wants to pay you for your tip,or specimen.
    I never let anything like your post go.....not until I am sure as to value.

19. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

19th century and early 20th century proofs seem to be cheaper than I would expect given their low mintages and over a century of attrition.

I thought these would be the lowest, with mintages around 4000-4500.
    03cN 1888 PF full 01.gif 03cN 1886 PF full 01.gif

So I then thought this might be lowest, at 3100.
    05c 1882 PF full 05.jpg

Or this, at 2,740.
    05c 1890 PF full 05.jpg

But these IHC proofs turn out to be even more scarce.

01c 1879 PF full 05.JPG

01c 1890 PF full 01.gif

01c 1891 PF full 01.gif

01c 1893 PF full 05.JPG

With this Lincoln coming in at 1,725.
    01c 1911 PF full 01.gif

20. Paddy54

Ron you may want to use the link posted on the 3cn's thread I posted both you and John have nice 1888 specimens, that are pretty rare to begin with and the varieties even more.
    RPD 004 proof strike

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    RonSanderson and scottishmoney like this.
  21. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted