Post your Lincolns!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by New Gen. Nick, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Do you like the new pennies?

1. OH YEAH BABY.

31.9%
  2. ew no.

68.1%
  1. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

1924S.jpg 1924S r.jpg I found this 24S in this week in a bag of wheats.

Attached Files:

dwhiz and BadThad like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

What causes this?
    Do you consider this as environmental damage?
    It's a kind of shimmery, greyish and blueish layer on this coin.
    IMG_20180811_182244.jpg IMG_20180811_182307.jpg

robec and BadThad like this.
  4. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Continuing my proof posts: the 1983-S Proof was the first of the copper-clad zinc proofs. Notice the corrugated surface in the fields and the bubbling below the Lincoln Memorial.

01c 1983-S PF #02 full 01v.gif

I am curious. Does anyone know whether the corrugated effect is on the surface, or could it actually be the texture of the boundary layer between the zinc and copper? Unless the zinc layer of the planchet was polished before it was layered with copper, then bonded meticulously with copper that was also highly polished, you would expect that interface to be an uneven boundary inside the coin.

I would expect the surface to be struck to a mirror-flat evenness, in which case light bouncing from the surface would be uniform and not show any texture.

Or, maybe striking a clad coin would cause uneven flow of two metals of different density. Maybe there was some elastic bounce-back after the metals were hammered bu the coin press, and the caused minute ripples to form on the surface.

Or, if the outer layer is thin enough, you could get some quantum tunneling of photons through the copper layer to bounce off the interior boundary between the two metals, showing the contours of that.

In short, has anyone asked, and answered, why a surface that should be mirror-flat looks corrugated instead?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  5. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

15D r.jpg 15D.jpg 15D.jpg Another recent find. 1915D.

gronnh20, DM1, BadThad and 2 others like this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

7. dwhiz

The "S" cough my eye. So I fired up my Dino-Lite. 2018-S RP O-tile.jpg

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Gas bubbles, poor plating causes the ripples IMO.

9. BadThad

Precursor to DP1 or DP4?

1922Debay2017.jpg 1922Debay2017close.jpg 1922Debay2017close2.jpg 1922Debay2017rev.jpg

10. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

11. RonSanderson

1984-S Proof. Overall quality has improved, with the reverse showing steps and more details of Lincoln‘s statue. The fields show heavy rippling even though the devices are clear and sharp.

01c 1984-S PF #02 full 07.JPG

01c 1984-S PF #02 full 01v.gif

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  12. dwhiz

My 1972 DDO 1 thru 9, now in the Eagle page. All my 72 ddo.jpg
    All my 75 ddo 1.jpg All my 75 ddo 2.jpg All my 75 ddo 3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  13. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Going through some of my Wife's late Grandfather's WWII stuff and I saw an old Steelie. The reverse was face-up and very nice!! IMG_1472.JPG Then I flipped him over IMG_1473.JPG Not so nice:sorry:

14. BadThad

Dang, improper storage.

Nathan401 likes this.
  15. RonSanderson

1985-S Proof
    01c 1985-S PF #01 full 01v.gif

16. Robert Arnold

Robert Arnold New Member

I'm really new and am really getting frustrated with my posting bloopers so please bare with me .....I really need some input and info on these Lincoln pennies .....supposedly valuable

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  17. robec

robec Junior Member

The mintage on your 1950-D Lincoln was almost 335,000,000. Unfortunately these aren't rare. They are scarce as far as being in circulation today, but not valuable. The value of one in this well worn condition is probably less than a dime.

18. RonSanderson

Three small changes can vastly improve your posts.

The image, by the way, is pretty good. These ideas are just to improve the presentation of the image you already have. (If the image is not from an iPhone my examples won't be quite exact but the ideas are still pertinent. Just use the similar tools available to you.)

On the iPhone this can be done within the Photos app. Select the photo you want and look for Edit on the top right of the screen. Tap it. Below the photo a set of editing tools will appear. In this screenshot I have already tapped on the Crop / Rotate tool, shown next to Cancel.

254571BC-D140-4153-9160-1373F6ED3A7A.png
    1. Rotate to straighten the photo. Under the photo you see a sort of dial with degree markings. Grab the little triangle and move it left or right to rotate the picture until it looks straight to you. Your photo is on its side, so you need to start with a 90 degree rotation to get the image upright. Click on the little square box with an arrow wrapping around it that appears above the word Cancel. Get it close to upright, then fine-tune using the dial control to get it exact.
    2. Crop. Just drag the borders of the picture inward until you just frame the coin and eliminate most of the background. It is better to rotate first, then crop, because sometimes the rotation has to throw away some excess parts of the picture to keep a rectangular shape.
    3. Post full images here, instead of thumbnails. Now that the image is mostly coin, it's quicker to see the whole thing right away than to expand the thumbnail.

Presto! Here's your photo, downloaded from the web page and edited, using an iPhone.

1736EAE6-31B3-4F34-A2ED-3535EF1E1738.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    dwhiz, 05Wildcats and CircCam like this.
  19. RonSanderson

1986-S Proof
    01c 1986-S PF #02 full 01v.gif

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Love seein' the flow lines Ron.........:)

RonSanderson likes this.
  21. RonSanderson

If you liked that one, then you should like this one.

Still photos have to choose whether to show proofs with dark fields or bright ones. Rarely are these lines shown as the "beauty" shot. I like to see the totality of the coin. Also interesting, no matter how the light changes, the matte finish looks exactly the same.

1987-S Proof
    01c 1987-S PF #02 full 01v.gif

dwhiz, 05Wildcats and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted