Post your Lincolns!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by New Gen. Nick, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Do you like the new pennies?

1. OH YEAH BABY.

31.9%
  2. ew no.

68.1%
  1. yKnot

yKnot Well-Known Member

Thanks BadThad. Perhaps I'm thinking the contact marks and carbon spots are more damaging than they really are.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Yknot, on your 31s -- i have to admit, grading confuses the heck out of me. I might have guessed 64/65 on yours, but pcgs must have seen a lot they liked.

I bought this ms65bn 1931s from stewart blay last year, i really like it -- someone told me a strikethrough wavy effect on the reverse might have caused a 65 grade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. yKnot

yKnot Well-Known Member

Thanks, Winged Liberty. Your 31-S and another 65BN on Coinfacts were in part why I was asking about mine. Mine doesn't have quite the luster yours has and I have more marks on the beard and shoulder area. The eye appeal on yours is outstanding. I was wondering why mine would be a 66 when there are 65s that look like yours! (Don't get me wrong, I do like mine but I don't think it's as eye appealing as yours) That's a good point on the strike through, wavy surfaces. That has to be part of the reason it didn't go 66. It's beautiful and I don't see any distracting marks or carbon spots.

WingedLiberty likes this.
  5. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

What are the technical error names for this? I swear I can see doubling on the reverse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

yKnot, BadThad, robec and 2 others like this.
  6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Double struck. Second strike maybe 80% off center. Good coin. I love Lincolns. But I love major error Linclns more.

Also youre probably seeing machine doubling. No big deal really. The double strike is what makes this coin.

7. Leahred1967

Leahred1967 Active Member

20170315_184623-1.jpg 20170315_185010-1.jpg
    My first clip.
    And below; I found this today in the jar of wheats dad gave me!
    20170326_002631-1.jpg 20170326_002812-1.jpg

yKnot, BadThad and robec like this.
  8. ShirleyBLong2Coins

ShirleyBLong2Coins New Member

I just like it

Attached Files:

9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

1984 Proof
    01c 1984-S PF full 02.JPG

1984 Business strikes

01c 1984 full 02.JPG 01c 1984-D full 02.JPG

10. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

WingedLiberty...
    Progressive Indirect Design Transfer
    Definition: This is a lesser known form of die deterioration which transfers design outlines from one die to the other. Since there are many types of design transfer (clashed dies, brockages, etc.), it is preferable to call this type of design transfer “Progressive Indirect Design Transfer” or “PIDT”. Other synonyms you’re likely to encounter are “heavy design transfer”, “internal metal displacement phenomenon (IMDP), and “ghosting”.

yKnot likes this.
  11. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I am about to photograph a set of slabs. I've got a new idea I want to try; maybe some of you would like to try it too.

My idea of using a black foam insert from a nickel's 2x2 has worked pretty well with cents. Now I need different sizes. The attached file has a set of graduated circles of different sizes on a black surround. I plan to cut these out into 2" squares, then cut out the white circles. This will generate a series of masks to lay on top of the slabs. I only need to pick out the right circle to block the reflection off the slab.

If anyone wants to try it, just print this image on a regular sheet of 8.5x11 standard size paper, chop it up, cut out the circles, and give it a try. The sizes range from half an inch up to almost two inches.
    Photo Mask.png

12. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I won't say that I'm young, but I got this Lincoln Cent when I was a 12 year old delivering newspapers and have kept it for over 50 years. My best (and only) circulation find I ever found.

1955 Double Die Lincoln.jpg

Leahred1967, mas4492 and jello like this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

@TheMont
    Do you still have this coin?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  14. TheMont

Gee, Then I wonder what's sitting in my safety deposit box at the bank.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Is it in a slab?

16. TheMont

No, it's in an Airtite capsule. I did use Photoshop to clean up the image, but it's mine. I'd put it at XF+ which would put it at less than $2,000, but when I found it, back in 1959, it was worth a lot less.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You have your images mixed up. This is the same coin you posted.
    Mbp7k072855.jpg Mbp7k072856.jpg Mbp7k072865.jpg Mbp7k072867.jpg

BadThad, jello, yKnot and 1 other person like this.
  18. TheMont

Mine has a scratch on Lincoln's Cheek, yours doesn't and mine is more red/brown. Mine's not in a slab.

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

So the image you posted is not the coin that you own?

20. TheMont

Enough, go bother someone else.

mas4492 and RonSanderson like this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Enough, I agree. I own the coin you posted and have for 25 years.
    This is the image you used Photoshop on. I took that image almost 11 years ago. The other images I posted were taken by a member here. It's the same coin. Image_0774.jpg Image_0779.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted