Post your Lincolns!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by New Gen. Nick, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Do you like the new pennies?

1. OH YEAH BABY.

31.9%
  2. ew no.

68.1%
  1. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. quentyn

quentyn New Member

Shows clear smooth surface with wholes showing intercore plating on both side. Very little scratches but old from being keeled in jewelry bow for the pass 20+years I inherited form my grandfather with serial other's

Attached Files:

BlackBeard_Thatch and jello like this.
  4. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

My newest... sorry about bad pics. 20170216_015848.jpg
    20170216_015955.jpg

5. quentyn

quentyn New Member

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin and BadThad like this.
  6. quentyn

quentyn New Member

7. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

The NGC Coin Explorer website comments that spotting and marks are common throughout the 1940's. I suppose better examples could be found.

With a large set of Lincolns, I only have to look at other years to see purely clean coins. With these issues, I see them as they were produced, warts and all.

I view this as an opportunity to archive what really happened, instead of chasing an unrepresentative idealized image in my mind.

01c 1946 full 02.jpg
    01c 1946-D full 01.gif
    01c 1946-S #01 full 02.jpg

This one, graded MS-64, was acquired to replace the one above. The strike is a little better, but both have some spotting. So instead of being an upgrade, these two coins illustrate the normal production differences from the same mint in the same year.

01c 1946-S #02 full 01.jpg

yKnot, robec, BadThad and 2 others like this.
  8. quentyn

quentyn New Member

Attached Files:

9. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

Interesting colors on this 1955S. 55S.jpg 55S..jpg

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Those pics grab the luster well! Nice job, I like seeing those cartwheel spikes.

1946S is tough - lots of bad strikes or black spots. Here's a toner that's pretty nice:

1946SLincoln_ForSale.jpg 1946SLincolnREV_ForSale.jpg

11. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

robec..where do you find such beauties? Love this cent!!

yKnot likes this.
  12. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Jdiablo30 likes this.
  13. robec

robec Junior Member

Most from eBay, Great Collection, Instagram or other members.

Jdiablo30 likes this.
  14. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

15. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

My main source for wheat toners lately has been on Instagram,if I never downloaded it onto my phone,my collection wouldn't even be half of what it is today without the great coin world of instagram! Love it

quentyn and robec like this.
  16. RonSanderson

The lack of detail in AMER on the reverse of the first 1947-S matches up well with the display example at NGC Coin Explorer, as typical for this issue. I think it is the second one that is less typical for this year. Their site blames a "tight, post-war budget" for the worn equipment, overused dies, spotting, and streaking.
    01c 1947 full 01.jpg 01c 1947-D full 01.jpg 01c 1947-S #01 full 01.jpg 01c 1947-S #02 full 01.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  17. alfredbid

alfredbid Member

Guys I need someone to tell me is this a double die penny 1956 d

Attached Files:

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The one has been damaged. A doubled die would have the entire obverse or a minimum of half showing the doubling.

19. RonSanderson

While there is still some spotting in 1948, the quality does seem a bit better than the previous years right after the end of World War II.

NGC reports that the Denver mint had "noticeably worn dies" and "higher grades are elusive". Out of 172 million coins only 1237 are in MS 66 and only 77 in MS 67. An MS67 at Heritage has three conspicuous carbon spots on the front and another on the back, but sold for $540.

Then again, who sends this coin in to be graded in the first place? I'm more surprised that 1739 of these were graded by NGC.

The 1946-S and 1947-S from the last two days are, in fact, graded, but I bought them both for $8.21 combined. That hardly seems like an incentive to spend $20 each on grading. Like almost all of my Lincolns, these are all raw.

01c 1948 full 01.jpg 01c 1948-D full 01.jpg 01c 1948-S full 01.jpg

yKnot, jello and 05Wildcats like this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Just a note for Lincoln collectors...A 1982-D bronze SM DT cent has been found in Minnesota by a cherrypicker...It has been certified by NGC #2712641-001 AU58BN. I often thought they should exist and now we do. Something else to look for in the cent pile!

21. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Just a note...A 1982-D bronze SM. DT. has been found in Minnesota by a cherrypicker... NGC certified the coin: #2712641-001...Something else to look for in the junk pile!

Draft saved Draft deleted