Post your Lincolns!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by New Gen. Nick, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Do you like the new pennies?

1. OH YEAH BABY.

31.9%
  2. ew no.

68.1%
  1. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

WOW, that's pretty close! Thanks for posting, so far, you're ahead as the closest I've seen to mine.

What did PCGS grade it at?

RonSanderson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

What did PCGS grade it at?

4. BadThad

Wow....no way that's correct. I see no environmental damage!

mas4492 likes this.
  5. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

No, I didn't see it either.
    You know how it is with TPGs..sometimes peaches, sometimes pits.

6. robec

robec Junior Member

Must be from the same roll.

7. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

Nice!

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Now my set is up to date 2017P 1c 1-horz-vert.jpg

robec, Skyman, gronnh20 and 3 others like this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I have declared war on that mint mark.

2017P 1c 1-horz-vert1.jpg

You will get to see half of my avatar a bit larger the day after tomorrow, but it'll be my last Lincoln for a while. I'm doing slightly larger pieces of copper for 2017. :)

robec, RonSanderson and dwhiz like this.
  10. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I see that @SuperDave has the first major variety recorded for 2017.

Fake News sPecial rePort
    The 2017 cent has corrected the lack of a mint mark on Philadelphia cents. All previous cents without the P will be considered No-P varieties (SD-01). The major coin grading services have announced all No-P cents are eligible for attribution and reslabbing with special labels, for a nominal fee of $20.

This is my 1923 No-P. This is MS-65 in an NGC holder.
    I don't have No S to post.

01c 1923 full 01.jpg

Edit: Fake News sPecial report #2
    In a little known report, it was revealed that since the typeface for the Lincoln cent is a sans-serif font, all mint marks were intended to be without serifs, as well. However, due to resentment by the mint director of the hiring of an outside sculptor for the cent design, he quietly directed the branch mints to insult the designer by using serif fonts.

Some research was done to determine the proper typeface for the P mint mark. This early prototype was recently found circulating in South Philly - oddly enough at Lincoln Financial Field, next to the home of the Phillies.
    Snap4.gif

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    robec, gronnh20, BadThad and 5 others like this.
  11. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

IMG_20170202_073019.jpg IMG_20170202_073034.jpg
    What I was thinking

yKnot, SSG_Gonzo, gronnh20 and 7 others like this.
  12. Friday

Friday Active Member

Hey everybody I found my first 2017 new penny IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0191.JPG

robec, yKnot, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  13. RonSanderson

The 1924-D just arrived yesterday, barely in time to join the other two in this lineup. I think it has some crud that detracts from its appearance. Perhaps a quick swish in acetone will find the sweet spot between "too dirty" and "too clean".

The 1924 was discussed last June in post #3292. The 1924-S was shown in #4074. These are new photos.
    01c 1924 full 01.jpg
    01c 1924-D full 01.gif 01c 1924-S full 02.jpg

robec, yKnot, gronnh20 and 5 others like this.
  14. BadThad

Xylene would be a better choice IMO....but I doubt it will change much. In general, xylene is a better choice for copper.

RonSanderson likes this.
  15. RonSanderson

@BadThad, I did start with Xylene, and let it soak while I went to lunch. You were right, it didn't change much.

WARNING: Those of you with sensitive dispositions should not read the rest!

Now I figure that people are comfortable with handling coins with cotton gloves, so I surmise that gently touching a coin with an extremely soft fabric will not mark it.

I put a few drops of VerdiCare on the front, then took a cotton Q-Tip and gently swabbed the dirt away. I flipped it over and did the same thing.

I could see that black dirt was on the cotton - so there had to be less on the coin. I repeated, then gently, gently, removed any visible liquid with a cotton pad that my wife uses to remove makeup. Then I let the VerdiCare that remained air dry. (The Q-Tip is horrifying enough. You don't need the image of me waving the coin around in the air to dry it!)

I took these two pictures with the same lights, same angles, and both are 1 stop underexposed. Due to very slight differences in positioning the toning may not be catching the light in quite the same way.

Almost all of the unattractive spotting is gone. Only the ghosts of the spots remain in ONE CENT and on both sides of the right wheat ear. The big blob over LIBERTY is almost gone.

While the VerdiCare still needs a day to fully cure, the coin looks glossier, richer, and has a smoother gradation of colors. The reverse shimmers with rainbow color.

Before
    01c 1924-D full 02.jpg
    After
    01c 1924-D full 03.jpg

robec, yKnot, gronnh20 and 5 others like this.
  16. BadThad

Looks a lot better....good job!

RonSanderson likes this.
  17. RonSanderson

Thank you.

I don't do this to be rude, or to boast about finding coins, but I have to post another seller's picture.

I think we all have opinions on the Wild West inconsistency of eBay. All I had to work from was a hint of detail in the features and some reflections that promised a little luster. There are vague color changes that could be toning. Are they dark and blurry to hide the dirt?

How do you expect to sell a nice coin like this 1924-D if you post these photos?
    I was the only bidder and this cost me just under $100. If GSC had photographed it in their glamorous style, someone would have paid, oh, ten times that.

At least this lets me acquire things I could not otherwise afford.
    upload_2017-2-3_16-17-31.png upload_2017-2-3_16-17-52.png

robec, gronnh20, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You, sir, are a winner. :D

Chances are the seller had no idea the coin was worth being slabbed in EF....

dwhiz and RonSanderson like this.
  19. RonSanderson

These are upgraded photos of the ones in post #4097. Again, this is a year where the three coins cover the range of red, red and brown, and brown.

Pretty soon I will have cycled through to the point where I posted current photos and then jump to the mid-1940s.
    01c 1925 full 01.jpg 01c 1925-D full 02.jpg 01c 1925-S full 01.jpg

robec, yKnot, gronnh20 and 2 others like this.
  20. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

Colorful toning on this 1949S. 1949S..jpg

Attached Files:

21. imprezax06

imprezax06 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yKnot, Skyman, jello and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted