Post your Lincolns!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by New Gen. Nick, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Do you like the new pennies?

1. OH YEAH BABY.

31.9%
  2. ew no.

68.1%
  1. Colin Dennis

Colin Dennis New Member

Missing part L and I shaved off ???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Ya'll should make sure. after upload file. click on the full size image.
    thanks those looks like real nice Lincolns.

Colin Dennis likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Die fatigue! I have not done enough research to know if they hand punched the last two digits of the date.

5. Pickin and Grinin

IMG_2810 (1).JPG IMG_2814.JPG This is one of 38 MS 88d Lincolns, that I have pulled from a 50$ dollar bag of Lincoln's. Got a new hook up from a Bank. I imagine someone dumped an uncirculated roll. The other 37 are gem red.

charlietig, Skyman, BadThad and 4 others like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

I grabbed the one I gave an acetone dip. I didn't rinsed it very well. IMG_2822.JPG IMG_2821.JPG

BadThad and dwhiz like this.
  7. Chas Carlson

Chas Carlson Active Member

I already posted this in a thread earlier but I love it so here's my S-VDB for the Lincoln board DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0022.jpg

8. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

I've not experimented with acetone and copper. I've read pro's and con's. Any advice as to what not to do.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Acetone will not hurt Copper at all, the cons are that if there is any corrosion, that was covered up. The acetone dip will most likely show it.

10. Pickin and Grinin

I wouldn't have took a pic of this if it wasn't PL. IMG_2825.JPG IMG_2826.JPG The color jumps off this cent.

dwhiz likes this.
  11. AyoJustin

AyoJustin Active Member

Coin roll hunting 1970 S, small or large date? 20161209_035445.jpg 20161209_034754.jpg

12. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1293.JPG The other side of the coin (coin collecting that is). I wonder how many of these are floating around.

dwhiz and jello like this.
  13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

14. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

And here are the reasons why.
    1970 S Small Date - The Lincoln Cent Resource

[​IMG] and the OP's upload_2016-12-9_12-10-33.png

From the Lincoln Cent Resource site.
    The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the 9. If the loop of the 9 bends sharply toward the 7, it is a small date. If the loop of the 9 is angled toward the top of the mintmark, it is a large date. The nine in the small date is also "wider" looking than the 9 in the large date.

Another way to tell the difference is the height of the 7. In the small date the top of the 7 is just about level with the 1,9 and 0. In the large date the top of the 7 is lower than the 1,9 and 0. Beware, this way can be very deceiving.

A third way to tell the difference is by looking at the word LIBERTY. In the small date the word LIBERTY is weak, especially the top of the E and Y. In the large date the word LIBERTY is struck well with no letters blending into the field.

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  15. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I took some pictures and marked out where the diagnostics cite differences. The level of the 7 is hard to discern in these photos. But I think I can see it in hand.
    01c 1970-S SD full annotated 01.jpg 01c 1970-S LD full annotated 01.jpg
    And it's still hard for me to tell, but the 9's are clearly different.
    upload_2016-12-9_14-42-55.png upload_2016-12-9_14-45-18.png
    Edit: I think one easy diagnostic was overlooked. The bottom of the 7 is even with the bottom of the zero on the small date, and is obviously lower on the large date.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

17. Friday

Friday Active Member

My Lincoln penny.1969(S) 1969(D) 1969. IMG_0134.JPG

dwhiz likes this.
  18. Friday

Friday Active Member

19. Pickin and Grinin

20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Newest member of my birth year set 1944 1C RD Lincoln Wheat One Cent PCGS MS66RD 1-horz.jpg

yKnot, BadThad, Skyman and 3 others like this.
  21. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Have this beautiful 1942 ms66 brown coming in on Monday. Really enjoy hunting down these higher grade "brown" cents. Just waiting for this one to come in and then off too PCGS for a reslab along with another 6-7 more toners i need to be put in a secure slab and trueviewed
    IMG_20161210_070605.jpg IMG_20161210_070649.jpg

yKnot, BadThad, Skyman and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted