Post your Lincolns!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by New Gen. Nick, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Do you like the new pennies?

1. OH YEAH BABY.

31.9%
  2. ew no.

68.1%
  1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It says, "I'm struck from dies so old and worn it's a wonder you can see the letters at all." :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

1931-S Lincoln Cent (PCGS MS65BN). Cant remember if I posted this previously. Ugh my crusty 59 year old brain! I bought this last month from one of the most famous Lincoln collectors around Stewart Blay. It's a pretty beastie for one of the Lincoln semi-key's. Second lowest total mintage I believe (behind the S-VDB).

[​IMG]

yKnot, Mad Stax, Evan8 and 10 others like this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Post it as often as you like. You don't have to qualify it as a "semi-key;" it's an animal all on its' own and I'd go into debt to own one similar. :)

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Nice Lincoln, but (getting technical) it is not the second lowest mintage. It is the second lowest Lincoln wheat mintage, but all 8 of the 2009 copper cents had a lower mintages - 784,614 versus 866,000

WingedLiberty likes this.
  6. robec

robec Junior Member

You are referring to the Special Strikes, which were made for collectors only. The Regular Strikes had considerably more.
    [​IMG]

MKent and WingedLiberty like this.
  7. WingedLiberty

Cool info on the 2009's! No idea about those. What are the Special Strikes? Post some and show the difference between that and the regular strikes for 2009.

8. WingedLiberty

1918-D Lincoln Cent (PCGS MS65RB). A very cool looking 1918-D with so much gloss the 1918 looks almost like 1913 from distance -- but not at this zoomed up scale! Bought this for $100 under guide on ebay (a relative bargain). It's a tougher date/mint for nice color and eye appeal. If not for a few light brown spots on the reverse, I would think this had a shot for a 66. Then again I kind of suck at grading -- call me clueless about the workings of pcgs around grades.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is why I said COPPER cents. And their mintages were exactly as I stated. You are correct on the Zincolns, but the coppers are both separate and distinguishable from the regular Zincolns.

10. WingedLiberty

Last one ...

1954-S Lincoln Cent
    (PCGS MS66RB). A gorgeous example of a late date wheatie. Dripping with color and luster. A scratch on Lincolns head probably kept this from a 67 (darn). Still pretty tho.

[​IMG]

yKnot, Paddy54, Mad Stax and 8 others like this.
  11. WingedLiberty

Interesting.

12. robec

robec Junior Member

The Special Strikes were made in the original pre 1982 composition. These were probably issued in the mint sets........all are Satin finish.

The regular strike composition was the copper zinc used post 1982.

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If you have a 1954-, we would have a complete date set;
    upload_2016-9-24_11-19-38.jpeg

upload_2016-9-24_11-19-55.jpeg

14. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

The E and P almost looked to be filled.

15. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

16. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Poor pictures. But it took me a long time to find a nicely colored 53 proof.

[​IMG]

17. Defenderone

Defenderone Active Member

Lincoln Penny 015.JPG doubles or bubbles? worth grading?...thanks!

18. Defenderone

19. Defenderone

20. Defenderone

21. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

A couple of recent finds. 1941D.jpg 1941D Rev.jpg 1949..jpg 1949.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted