Post your latest ancient!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by The Meat man, Mar 15, 2022.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

WOW, thanks for sharing your similar examples!

There was talk that the Male Head in the Barcids in Spain types was that of Hamilcar/Hannibal deified as Melkart just the way Alexander might have been portrayed with the features of Hercules in his coinage.

Can be safe to assume that a majority of Roman denarii from the 2nd Punic War issues were issued from remelted Carthaginian silver coins that were paid as a consequence of losing the first Punic War.

expat and Silphium Addict like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Arrived this morning.
    20221025_145832__2_-removebg-preview.png 20221025_150128__2_-removebg-preview.png

NOTE to SOLI types (Sol standing, holding globe or whip): Sol's stance can differ slightly from engraver to engraver and from mint to mint. Sometimes he is standing front, with one leg or knee slightly left or slightly right. These variations appear to be at the whim of the engraver and do not constitute unpublished types.

Constantine I. AE 3 half nummus, Trier AD 310-311, under Constantine I

OBV: CONSTANTIVS AVG

Laureate, and cuirassed, right.

REV: SOLIIN VICTO

Sol facing forward looking right, raising right hand and holding globe in left.

PTR in exergue

21.1mm, 2.98g

Riv VI Treveri 899

Puchased from Castellet Classical Numismatics

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Trier 900 is laureate, draped and cuirassed and seen from rear; while yours is laureate and cuirassed-- so Trier 899

Silphium Addict and expat like this.
  5. expat

Amended, thankyou.

6. expat

Also received this morning, 2 others
    1/
    20221025_205743__2_-removebg-preview.png 20221025_205817__2_-removebg-preview.png

Constantine II. AE 3, Antioch AD 330-335, under Constantine I

OBV: CONSTANTIUS IVN NOBC

Laureate and cuirassed, right

REV: GLOR IAEXERC ITVS

Two soldiers, each with spear and shield, flanking two banners. Dots above and within both banners.

SMANS in exergue.

16.8mm, 2.72g.

Ric VII Antioch 87,s

Purchased from Castellet Classical Numismatics

7. expat

And number 2
    20221025_181050__2_-removebg-preview.png 20221025_181213__2_-removebg-preview.png

Constantius II AE reduced. Rome AD 352-355, under Constantivs II.

OBV: DN CONSTAN – TIVS PF AVG

Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed, right. B behind bust.

REV: FEL TEMP RE – PARATIO

Soldier, helmeted, draped and cuirassed advancing left and spearing fallen horseman with right hand and wearing shield on left arm. Shield on ground to right of horseman wearing pointed cap, falling forward clutching horse’s neck.

Gamma in left field, R wreath Z in exergue.

22mm, 5.21g

Ric VIII Rome 256.

Purchased from Castellet Classical Numimatics

Codera, The Meat man, Struck7 and 3 others like this.
  8. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

My first Elagabalus! I couldn't resist the finely styled portrait. RIC 140b.
    ElaRIC140b_1.jpg

9. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Recently got this charming obol: 16C27D2A-A6C5-4F75-B4F9-54BFCF9ACB1B.jpeg 33EE78C0-774A-4B24-B40D-D100590FAF8C.jpeg

10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

A couple new additions from Second Punic War Sicily not worthy of individual forum posts. First, a rare uncia variety in the style of the wheat-ear issue(Crawford 42/4) without the wheat-ear mintmark on the reverse. This specific type without the mintmark is not listed in Crawford:
    12534.3.21_1.jpg
    Roman Republic Æ Uncia(6.04g, 21mm, 6h). Anonymous, style of corn-ear(wheat-ear) series. 214-212 B.C. Sicilian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, • / Prow of galley right; ROMA above; below, •. Roberto Russo, Essays Hersh, pl. 18, 34; McCabe Group B1; Crawford -(but cf. 42/4 for similar style with corn-ear); Sydenham -
    Ex Roma Numismatics E-Sale 101, 13 October 2022, lot 883, "From a private European collection".

And a scarcer anonymous denarius, Crawford 75/1c, the unsigned sibling of the C AL issue. This is an upgrade for me. My previous example had some flatness on the reverse and just wasn't a great coin. This is much better and the cost was a very modest uplift after selling my prior example:
    350_2.jpeg
    Roman Republic AR Denarius(19mm, 4.47 g, 1h), anonymous(related to C AL series), 209-208 B.C., Sicilian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right with loop beneath visor; behind, X / The Dioscuri galloping right; below, ROMA in linear frame. Crawford 75/1c; Sydenham 191a; Russo RBW 321
    Privately purchased from Michael Stolt, 28 October 2022, ex CNG e-Auction 514, 20 April 2022, lot 350

Codera, Struck7, Bing and 4 others like this.
  11. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

My most recent win at CNG E-auction 524. I really wanted a coin with the portrait of Pompey the Great, and now I have this one issued by Sextus Pompey, the younger son of Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus.
    In 43 BC, Sextus was honored by the Senate with the title "Commander of the Fleet and Sea Coasts" (Praefectus Classis et Orae Maritimae), found abbreviated on the reverse legend of this coinage.

AR Denarius, Sicily, uncertain mint (Katane?), 37 -36 BC
    17 mm, 3.69 g, 7h
    Crawford 511/3a; Sear, HCRI 334; Sydenham 1344 (R4); BMCRR (Sicily) 7; Pompeia 27; RBW 1785; RSC 17 (Pompey the Great)

From the Conti Collection. Don't know who Conti is..

Some details are off-flan, but I think Pompeius head is very handsome and strong.

A quote from Goethe’s Faust where Erichto speaks about the gruel night before the battle of Pharsalus:

<… Here, Magnus was dreaming… There, Caesar kept watch>

Ob.: (MAG)•PIVS•IMP•ITER bare head of Pompey the Great, facing right, flanked by capis (jug) at left and lituus at right
    Rev.: (PRA͡EF) above /CLAS•ET• ORA͡E /M͡A͡RIT•EX•S•C in two lines; Neptune standing left with foot on prora (prow) and holding aplustre in r. hand and cloak over l. arm, between the Catanaean brothers, Anapias and Amphinomus running in opposite directions, each carrying a parent on their shoulders.

Picture courtesy CNG:

upload_2022-10-29_17-55-35.png

12. Guilder Pincher

It was time for another Probus. A sparkly RIC 706 from Siscia.
    ProbusRIC706.png

Codera, Volante, Struck7 and 5 others like this.
  13. Guilder Pincher

Another Probus for my collection, RIC 169E. Most of the silvering remains, though it doesn't photograph as nicely as it looks in real life. Probus RIC169E_1.jpg

14. Guilder Pincher

Two new purchases. A cute little Claudius quadrans RIC 84 and an antoninianus of Aurelian. I was going to look up the MER/RIC number for this one, but the site crashed on me. I believe this is RIC 254. Edit: site works again, it's MER/RIC 2306. Claudius RIC 84_1.jpg
    Aurelianus RIC 254_1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  15. Codera

Codera Well-Known Member

I just recently got this beauty in the mail from Forvm Ancient Coins. I've always wanted a sestertius and a coin of one of my favorite Roman emperors, Marcus Aurelius, so it's nice that I get to kill two birds with one stone (or coin if you will)! It's not exactly the most pristine example out there but it still looks nice enough, the portrait is still quite evocative and it helps keep the price more affordable for me since this type of coin usually gets pretty expensive. All in all I'm very pleased with my purchase!

IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg

99767. Orichalcum sestertius, RIC III 1077 (S), Cohen III 538, SRCV II 4997, BMCRE IV 1449 var. (slight drapery), Hunter II 194 var. (same), gF, nice portrait, part of reverse legend weak, double struck, squared flan, 26.174g, 33.2mm, 0o, Rome mint, Dec 172 - Dec 173 A.D.; obverse M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII, laureate head right; reverse RESTITVTORI ITALIAE IMP VI COS III, Marcus standing left, in military dress, clasping right hands with and raising kneeling figure of Italia, scepter in his right hand, Italia draped and wearing turreted crown, on right knee, a globe in her left hand, S C (senatus consulto) in exergue; scarce;

"Marcus Aurelius was given the title Restorer of Italy by Senate decree. He devoted particular attention to Italy, as the Roman territory first in importance and nearest to the capitol, and also stopped a revolt and averted the danger of an impending German attack."

Blake Davis, Muzyck, longshot and 6 others like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

17. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

USPS did you a favor! Set your coins free. They survived this long. They are meant to be held.

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Bought this Aspendos stater a few months ago. Don’t recall if I posted it or not.

85B62A26-36AF-4EB1-9C39-3337459354E8.jpeg

19. mikebell

mikebell Active Member

My latest - a dupondius of Nero. Since all my other examples range from F-VF, it was time for a nicer one.. Probably AU if the TPGs got to it, given their standards..
    285-58.jpg
    Ex Denarius Ringsrud FPL

20. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Don’t believe I posted this Acheloios of Entella:

2A662FF2-770B-451D-BA22-FEE2BB397887.jpeg

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted