Post your latest ancient!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by The Meat man, Mar 15, 2022.

1. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I was highest bidder on a coin type, or perhaps rather just «a type» I have been wanting for a while: Richard the Lionheart:

201EC8EB-BCE6-45A9-8A94-55017213722B.jpeg

France, Aquitaine, Richard I Coeur-de-Lion, 1172–1189–1199,

Billon Denier, 1169-89

Obverse: ✠ RICA RDVS ω

Reverse: Cross pattée. Lettering: ✠ AGVITANIE

Reference: Elias 4, Poey d’Avant 2768.

Size: 18mm Weight: 0.87 g,

Richard I, the Lionheart, king of England 1189–1199

Coins struck for Richard I, (the Lionheart) in England used the name of his father, Henry and depicted on his coinage as HENRICVS. Coins in France are the only coins to bear his name.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Here are a couple new ones. I have been inadvertently accumulating a fairly sizeable collection of Vespasian denarii - for me, they hit that perfect balance between historical interest (Early Empire - Vespasian - general in Britain under Claudius - involved in the Jewish Revolt under Nero - began building the Colosseum) and low cost (decent coins can be had for around $50).

20220917_100551.jpg

20220917_100734.jpg

Xodus, cmezner, Marsyas Mike and 8 others like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Got this yesterday from Andreas Fenzl MA -shops
    EL Mysihemihekte ND (622-525BC)
    Ionia/ Phokaia
    Phokaia Mint 85557_phokaia.jpg
    0.65g. 8mm. .525
    Roaring Lion Head left/ Seal Swimming behind
    Quadripartite Incuse Square
    Bodenstadt 13.2 Boston 1,1904 BMC 24

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

6. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

Nice! Plus high silver content!

paschka likes this.
  7. The Meat man

Just got this one in. I think it's my finest ancient coin in terms of quality - fully silvered, practically mint state, well-struck on a broad flan. Plus, I had been wanting a coin of Diocletian for some time.

diocletian_01.jpg

8. Bing

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very handsome coin.:cool:

panzerman and The Meat man like this.
  10. The Meat man

Here is a new one that arrived yesterday. I love the detail on this tiny coin!

kyzikos.jpg

11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull coin! Kyzikos struck some real beauties.

The Meat man likes this.
  12. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I picked up 100 of these Judea Prutah. Surprisingly they came in such great shape which makes them really easy to ID.

PXL_20220929_184917088.jpg

philologus_1, expat, cmezner and 5 others like this.
  13. The Meat man

Nice coins @Xodus ! I have a number myself.

Here is another Savoca auction win.

I have always loved the crab tetradrachms from Akragas - the artistry and realism is astonishing! Unfortunately, I couldn't even begin to think of buying one. But when I saw this nice bronze coin come up in the auction, I decided to give it a bid and ended up winning. It is worn, but smoothly so; the soft brown surfaces are pleasing to the eye and touch. The crab was distinctly recognizable to my 4-year-old son, which speaks well of it, and the fish is also clearly discernable.

The obverse has suffered more, but with some imagination you can make out the image of the eagle eating the fish.

Clearly, the citizens of Akragas were a people closely tied to nature and the sea!

Anyway I figure this coin is a nice budget filler until I can pony up the quarter-million for a Tetradrachm.

akragas.jpg

14. The Meat man

Recently got this coin, somewhat unexpectedly!

I wasn't on the hunt for a Sulla denarius, although I've had my eye on a few during past CNG auctions. Like a lot of coins, it was one I wanted to get at some point, but it wasn't a high priority for me.

Then I saw this one while browsing an auction. I think there was maybe a day or less remaining and it was at 50 EUR with only one bid. So I placed a 65-euro max bid, checked back a day later and to my surprise I saw I won it for 55. I hadn't researched the type extensively, but it seemed to me like a pretty good deal for a military-issue denarius of the famous L. Cornelius Sulla. The condition is decent, nicely toned, good metal. Sulla's name in exergue is plainly legible. I've seen worse go for higher!

sulla_denarius.jpg

Struck7, expat, cmezner and 3 others like this.
  15. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

All coins in this thread are spectacular.

Maybe I shouldn't post one of my last ones with all your beauties...

Got this one at H&B pick bin for $25. The color of the coin is exactly like in the attached pictures. It is worn and very, very common, but I didn't have one of this type and just liked it, so I got it :D.
    Haven't had the time to weigh it yet.

Æ Half Nummus
    Heraclea, 347-348 AD, Mintmark SMHΓ (?)
    RIC VIII Heraclea 44

Ob.: DV CONSTANTINVS P T AVGG (Divus Constantinus Pater Augustorum), Veiled head of Divus Constantine the Great to r.
    Rv.: Divus Constantine, veiled, standing front, head to right. VN / MR (venerabilis memoria); Mintmark SMHΓ

upload_2022-10-17_14-57-35.png
    upload_2022-10-17_14-57-52.png

16. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

I got this in the mail recently. A nicely toned Septimius denarius with a very nicely done portrait and a nice and sharp reverse. RIC 242. SSRIC242_1.jpg

Struck7, ArtDeco, cmezner and 5 others like this.
  17. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's my latest...
    Went for this one as I thought it was a nice portrait if the Spaniard..

Lydia. Thyateira. Trajan. 98-117 AD. AE 25mm (9.14 gm).
    Obv.: ΑΥ ΝΕΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟΝ #1017;Ε ΓΕΡ ΔΑΚΙ, laureate head right.
    Rev.: ΘΥΑΤΕΙΡΗΝΩΝ; Athena in long chiton standing facing, head left, holding patera in her extended right hand, resting with left on shield placed on ground beside her, behind which upright spear.
    RPC III 1823. VF.
    Tat8B6Ar4GkmZf67k9zCwgX3Q2Jgfm.jpg

Struck7, cmezner, Bing and 2 others like this.
  18. Bing

It is a nice portrait!

expat likes this.
  19. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

My Punic issue silver coins have finally arrived almost 3 months later from a european auction lol.....

20221018_214914_2.jpg

20221018_214945_2.jpg

20221018_215110_2.jpg

The smaller 1/4 Shekel is an Italian mint, minted by Hannibal's forces in Southern Italy.

1/4 Shekel (2nd Punic War)

Obv: Head of Tanit facing left
    Rev: Punic horse with globe/pellet under horse

The thicker, larger and heavier Shekel is an Punic mint in Iberia. Issued by either Hamilcar or Hasdrubal during their conquests of Spain and taking the silver mines there.
    No one seems to know who the depicted Male Head on the obverse is, it could be either Hannibal, Hasdrubal, Hamilcar or even the Phoenician god Melkart.

1 Shekel (Barcids in Spain) (Before 2nd Punic War)

Obv: Male Head facing left
    Rev: Punic horse with palm tree behind.

Regarding the Punic Iberian Shekel was, I was suprised at how thick the coin is and especially how much the details of the strike stick out.

Overall, I'm very happy with these, I've alway wanted Carthaginian silver and now I'm looking to add more to the collection soon.

expat, H8_modern, Struck7 and 5 others like this.
  20. The Meat man

21. Silphium Addict

Silphium Addict Well-Known Member

@ArtDeco Great coins from the time of Hannibal! Two of my favorite styles for the types. After waiting 3 months, unlike the Romans, you must have been excited by "Hannibal ad portas"

Here is my Barcid Spain shekel from similar dies to yours:
    jt021.jpg
    AR shekel 228-209 BC 7.24 gm
    O: beardless head Melqart left (Hannibal)
    R: horse standing right with palm tree behind
    SNG Cop 295, Villaronga 64

These heavier weight shekels of this style are probably earlier issues, with weight decreasing as war progressed. I think the Melqart head has the features of Hannibal, although we'll never be certain since the coins are anepigraphic and there is no written evidence. However, the circumstantial evidence of "unofficial portraits" is very intriguing. The earlier diademed male head (Hasbrudal?) / ship prow shekels and later male head with Roman features (Scipio?) / horse before palm seems to be more than a coincidence.
    See my prior post for the "Scipio" coin: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/scipioh-no-afr-i-think-i-can-i-think-i-can-us.375818/#post-6477446

Here is my similar "Carthaginians in Italy" coin:
    jt025.jpg
    AR 1/4 shekel 215-205 BC
    O: head Tanit left; linear circle border with intersecting arc at top
    R: horse standing right; pellet below belly; linear circle border
    HN Italy 2015

The reverses with the pellet under the horse are of nice style and the obverses often have an arc at the top intersecting with the linear circle border. Its purpose is unknown, but may be related to die production.

expat, H8_modern, Struck7 and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted