Post your Grading upgrades!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BigTee44, May 29, 2016.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

What's the most undergraded coin you've sent in to have it come back higher?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

9 grades undergraded on the one. Wish they all were like this. I seen this company grade a Morgan with an H carved into it as a MS64. So i guess this company is hit or miss!
    30/UNC details
    40/64
    65/66

Not a bad submission if I do say so.
    image.jpeg

Jaelus, Paul M., NSP and 2 others like this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I've had plenty of minor numerical upgrades that were significant from a value standpoint, but nothing that jumped a large amount in terms of grade.

I can recall a few seated coins jumping from F15 into middle VF grades, and some gold jumping from 58 to 62.

I saw someone else eventually make my rare 1873-CC NA 50c in AU58 into a 64, and another party make my MS61 1919-D 50c into a 64. both of those were very substantial jumps in both grade and value, but not that I made. Personally, I view the 1919-D as undeserving of the 64 grade.

BigTee44 likes this.
  5. BigTee44

Have the pics still?

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpeg image.jpeg This was an anacs 62 in a blue holder. I also had an anacs au- 53 gold dollar upgrade to pcgs 58. I didn't agree with the 58 grade I thought 53 was accurate. I sold it and don't have an image tho. Sold it and a 53 for the same money tho there's not much spread on type 1 gold dollars in au

Paul M., spirityoda and TJ1952 like this.
  7. Mainebill

I don't play the crackout game often but I'm going to on my next pcgs submission. I have a au-58 dime that should upgrade to ms and a criminally undergraded bust half along with a ngc au 55 reeded edge I could easily see at 58

BigTee44 likes this.
  8. ToughCOINS

I don't . . . the 73-CC NA goes back to the 1990's and the 19-D circa 2000 . . . long before I was shooting photos of coins.

BigTee44 likes this.
  9. BigTee44

How does a 61 get to a 64? Isn't a 61 either luster-less or a lot of hits? The 58/64 I can see, but a 61.... :pompous:

10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I think " Tier " could bring higher grades. You pay for the grade, but if it's a higher tier, if not paid for, big trouble can happen ...

11. Rick Stachowski

Here's a " Tier " issue I caused . ms-68 is worth 250 and thats the tier I paid for ( couldn't be worth more then 300 dollars ) MS-69 is worth 2,500. 00 dollars, which I think it will grade .

You get what you pay for ......

12. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Is that really how it works? How can that be possible??

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No its just conspiracy theories. If you put something in a lower tier than it should clearly be in you get a call or an email telling you they're charging you the grading fee for the higher tier or that you need to break it off into it's own submission at that tier.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Rick Stachowski

Money, money, and more money .
    That's for the grading companies, of course ...

joecoincollect likes this.
  15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Last year I sent 8 regrades into PCGS for my annual Collector's Club voucher. Got 3 upgrades.

1892-CC $1 45 -> 53
    92ccv11.jpg

1889 3c PR65 -> 66
    [​IMG]

California commemorative 50c 63 -> 64
    california.jpg

Paul M., BigTee44 and Mainebill like this.
  16. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

When I send a coin in for grading all I wan't is what i paid for, AN HONEST GRADE. I don't know if i can trust any of these tpg services. And i guess they can even switch coins on you also, i wouldn't doubt it.

joecoincollect likes this.
  17. Mainebill

Yeah I've had that happen. I tried to sneak a 1797 large cent in as I've had problems getting a straight grade on it thru economy. They called me on it. But it finally graded straight at vf -25

Paul M. likes this.
  18. Mainebill

They play games so that you'll keep sending coins back. Bs detail grades under grading etc. it's how they ensure future business. I've never had a coin switched tho

19. Winex

Winex New Member

I like that 92 CC. I can't understand what is was doing in a 45 holder. Even if it was an old holder, 45 is just too low.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. ToughCOINS

It was a white ANACS 61, and I knew it was nicer. It had good luster, a few marks, and a surprisingly good strike for the date. I sold it for very strong money (at that time), and thought it had an outside shot at 63, but I never even dreamt about 64.

BigTee44 likes this.
  21. Rick Stachowski

I can tell you a story that happen in Michigan with a Pcgs dealer . He sent in a whole bunch of gold coins to get graded, now keep in mind he had no ideal what they would grade, to make a long story short, coin were under valued when they were mailed back to the dealer in Michigan, because he had know ideal on the grade, then the coins were stolen in the mail and dealer didn't have enough insurance, and again, to make a long story short, he blew his brains out in the basement of his home .

Who's at fault, Pcgs for not calling him to raise the insurance value, or the Pcgs dealer

Last edited: May 29, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted