Post Your FUN Purchases Here !

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GoldFinger1969, Jan 24, 2020.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There were more of these at the show than I have ever seen. Didn't really plan to buy a half but this one talked to me.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It did seem like there were quite a few. I was even more surprised to see a good number of them at the small local show I went to this week.

4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I guess it's good strategy: if it sells, you made your week....if it just sits there, it at least advertises that you have higher-end coins and you stand out.

5. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

GoldFinger1969: The hoopla over the MS-66 1923-D $20 is well-deserved, but the so-called lowly MS-63 1915-S really has a good look and could deserve a higher grade IMO based on the photos. Does the grade appear reasonable in hand?

6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I'd say 50-50...but the more unique thing is that black "gunk"...those granular particles which I really don't know what they are. I created a thread specific on that with close-up photos.

On the 1915-S pics in this thread...you can see the light bouncing off the particles with the cloudy area on the reverse....at between 5 and 6 O'Clock. That cloudy area....that's the backside of particles between the coin and slab.

It's an OGH but personally I think too many people think OGH = Upgrade and/or Automatic CAC bean.

It's a SOLID 63 IMO....could it get a 64 ? Maybe.....CAC ? Maybe.

Since I bought it as a bullion susbstitue, I am not as concerned with catching an upgrade or CAC or even the status of those black particles. I'm more curious than anything about how they got there. Biggest plus to re-submitting might be getting a new holder without the black gunk.

Thanks for your kind thoughs ! :D

buckeye73 likes this.
  7. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

This 1834 Quarter Eagle is a late entry to the FUN Show acquisition postings because I just received it in the mail yesterday. It DSC_0501-tile.jpg came from the Heritage on-line auction of January 12th which was part of HA's FUN show endeavor, so I've included it here.

8. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not initially notice the dark blotches (gunk). Wish you the best!

Draft saved Draft deleted