Post Your Favotire Ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FAT, Apr 29, 2012.

1. FAT

FAT New Member

20120429_205930.jpg 20120429_210636.jpg
    This is the oldest coin I have.
    I believe that it is from England 1686-1703

Post your favorite Ancients here! We like to see them. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

This is one my favorites :)
    Claudius ae As

Attached Files:

• 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      141.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

My favorite Ancient looks something like this:
    [​IMG]
    :devil:

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

England? I know almost nothing about modern coins but doesn't the coin read Portugal?

6. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

correct doug, it is definitely portugal, apart from the commonwealth and rose/maltravers farthings, british coins from 700 ad onwards have always shown an effigy of the monarch/lord protector

7. petronius

petronius Duke

Gordianus III Pius

AE Sestertius
    Obv: Laureated bust at right
    Rev: Apollo seated
    RIC 304a

gordianod.jpg

gordianor.jpg

petronius :)

8. Tough call - But, my favorite Greek would probably have to be this guy

Attached Files:

9. I have the same one, but with a very dark green patina. I'll post a pic when I get home.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Funny you mention green. This was one, of Pius, I was contemplating on posting instead.

Edit: and here's another green one for Doug

Attached Files:

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I, too, like green patinas but often have to face the fact that it is extremely unusual to get a perfectly even green with smooth surfaces without someone having gone too far smoothing or polishing the coin. It is not always easy to draw a line whether a green coin was smoothed too much to be 'natural'. After all coins do not get a green patina without being buried in soil with certain circumstances that produce the green (you don't get green keeping a coin in your sock drawer or in a sealed slab). When you wash away the soil and expose the green the surface can be rough and not perfectly attractive. Smoothing can improve the look but too much polishing can make the coin look unnatural. Too much smoothing can break through the green and expose metal below with results that can be uglier than no patina at all. We always hear from people who say no coin should be cleaned but they generally have no concept of what happens to ancients in a couple thousand years.

I'll attach five green coins in various degrees of green conservation. You can decide which is attractive and which is not - no matter, none are for sale. Polished green coins are really hard to photograph.

g00620b00589lg.JPG gi0740bb0923.jpg rs4800b00078lgredo.jpg re1000b02306alg.JPG re1090b01615oldlg.jpg

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nothing like the color of money

Draft saved Draft deleted