Post your Favorite World Proof Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Paddy54, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Here are two of my favorite Proof World Coins/ Bullion.
    The first is an 2009 Summer Moon Mask from the RCM. The coin is an $20 Face struck in 99.99 % fine silver weight 31.39 grams,diameter 38 mm. This coin is taken from the hand carved red cedar mask created by the Squamish Nation. Obverse QE II.

The second coin is another favorite.
    It's an 15 Euro Proof from Ireland.
    Sterling silver .925, 38.61 mm. diameter ,edge /milled , 15,000 mintage.
    An extremely hard coin to image due to its mirrored surfaces . Issued by the central Bank of Ireland 2010.
    This coin reminds me of my family heritage,as well as an old dear friend from Moate Dave Mac.

2009 Summer Moon Mask.jpg 2010  15 Euro Ireland.jpg

green18, onecenter, jello and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Another Favorite of mine is the 2008 U.S. Commemorative Bald Eagle Coin.
    Struck in 90% silver/10%copper 26.730 grams ,diameter 38.10 mm.
    Obverse is an mature Bald eagle soaring ,Reverse is the Great Seal of the United States that was used 1782/1841. 2008 US Bald Eagle.jpg

green18, onecenter, jello and 2 others like this.
  4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Good thread idea.
    Nice British Virgin Island
    $_57 copy.JPG $_57-1 copy.JPG

Always a Kiwi fan (Go All Blacks!) Rugby World Cup Starts Tomorrow!

NZ20.JPG NZ 20.JPG

And one of my personal favourites. South African Pre-decimal. I just love the reverse.

S.Africa.s.JPG S.Afrca.S.JPG

green18, GSDykes, onecenter and 4 others like this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

The only non-American proof I own. I bought the 6 coin set because I thought it was so beautiful.
    [​IMG]

6. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

rooman9 and Paddy54 like this.
  7. GSDykes

I posted this gem a little earlier, but forgot to mention it is PROOF, and the mintage is just over 1,700!

Sudan_1971_5_mil.jpg

8. GSDykes

The reverse of the Bald Eagle is great, but the obverse is terrible as far as the realism of the feathers! It is hard to convey feathers in sculpture, and this coin was designed by Joel Iskowitz and engraved by Don Everhart. I suppose it was the sculpturer who is to blame! Everhart also destroyed Gilroy Robert's JFK bust, as seen on the new medal. He had no authority to change Kennedy's hair part. The original part, (tousled) was authorized by Jackie [i.e. it was also changed on the 1980s half dollar]. And another gripe, the eagle's head and body shape overall are out of wack, looks like a fish with a beak. (A trout, with wings). The 1994 POW silver commemorative has a much better eagle (IMHO), for comparison. Notice how softer the feathers appear, and the hefty thighs!! This too is a proof. OOOPs, sorry the comparison is an UNcirculated coin, I do not have a proof POW coin, but the feather detail is the same.

eagle_1.JPG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    swamp yankee, onecenter and jello like this.
  9. Paddy54

Now I'm going to hunt one of these down that is one hot looking coin!

jwitten likes this.
  10. Paddy54

At one time I had the 3 coin set the above coin ,women in the service and for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. I auctioned off the set a few years back. The proceeds were donated to homeless vets. Of America .

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

12. GSDykes

You are something else Paddy!!:shame:

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. GSDykes

I am surprised that this bullion is not the leader in sales. It is really nice! Mucho better than the ASE and the Libertad, and all others.

14. Paddy54

It is one sexy coin.

15. Paddy54

See that's one thing I will say about Canada and the UK, They always are putting something new out for the most part fresh and appealing to the collector. They sometimes miss the boat but do make quality products . As for the US they are stuck in a mind set that change is out of the question . If they went retro and used some of the old type styles again I believe that they would sell more.
    We truly need a change in our coinage . The cent,nickel,dime and quarter all need a new look. They are old and tired coins. But you need to be careful what you ask for as what they done to the nickel OMG my Jefferson collector stops at 2006.

jello likes this.
  16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

This was just a one-year design. If you missed it in 2014 (like I did, sadly), then it likely won't be around again. The Brittania proof coins have fabulous designs which change every year, and I'm sad I'm late to the game on them, because the after-market cost can be brutal...

17. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Here is a smattering of 10 of my favorites.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

green18, Aidan_(), Paddy54 and 2 others like this.
  18. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Totally agree. The current nickel design is scary, and that's putting it nicely.
    I really liked the portrait on the 2005 design.

Paddy54 and jello like this.
  19. Paddy54

Here's another favorite Gold coin from Israel ,A 5 New Sheqalim , from the holy land series. 8.6300g.0.9000 Rose gold .2497 oz. mintage 1935 shape 12 sided See of Galilee 1935 mintage.jpg

jello, GSDykes and green18 like this.
  20. Paddy54

Here are two I have from Canada the Tall Ship Series 3 Masted tall ship, and the Ketch. Both are holograms and I must admit I'm not a fan of colorized coins but these two are just unreal in hand. Both these coins just pop! 2005 3 Masted Ship.jpg 2006 Ketch.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    jello likes this.
  21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Your love of horses really shines through on these glorious examples Brandon. Outstanding pieces. :)

Paddy, thanks for starting this thread and it's chocolate box of 'eye candy'. Spectacular pieces everyone.
    Oh, and do you ever hear from Dave anymore? Tell him we miss him here on the boards.........:)

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted