Post your favorite vignettes...

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by RickieB, May 9, 2010.

1. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Here are 2 of my favorite vignettes...and I hope you will post yours as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RB

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Very nice Rick, I only own two vignettes...and you posted one of them (the panamanian girl) lol. But my favorite has not been posted so thats good, here she is:
    (By the way, does anyone know what note this appeared on? thanks)

[​IMG]

4. Art

Art Numismatist?

Pablo is one of my favorites. I really like Buffalo.

[​IMG]

engraved by Marcus Baldwin for the BEP.

5. connor1

connor1 Collector

Eagle and Seated Female Vignette engraved by Mr. Frauz employed by the Republic Banknote Co. has a special meaning for me .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pioneer Spirit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Heres one that i kind of like :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This isn't a vignette, but it sure could be used as one. My mother was an artist for 75 years, and Gary Bendler was an acquaintance of hers. He gave her this print of Chief Joseph about 4 years before she passed, and I am now the happy owner of it.

Chris

Attached Files:

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Who is that a pic of??

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Which one?

Chris

10. currencylover

currencylover New Member

Love the eagle RickieB posted. Several others are exceptional as well.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

There are really so many favorites to choose from, both those that I have and one's that I wish to have some day. Here are a couple of recent additions/favs of mine:

1893 World's Columbian Exposition ticket
    [​IMG]

Eaton Fine Papers - Cinderella stamp

[​IMG]

BEP Souvenir Card for ANA 82nd Convention - Replica from master dies of Series 1896 $5 Silver Certificate

[​IMG]

12. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I have a lot of favorites, but this is one came to mind. I like how it flows across the entire note. I've seen segments of this vignette on other bank notes but it works best as a complete image. Incidentally, this is from ABNCo's American Paper Money Collection, which has intaglio proofs representing 36 states. Some of these are unattainable as issued currency.

Attached Files:

13. connor1

connor1 Collector

Nice Vermont $50 Proof.I've seen the vignette to the left "Liberty with Shield & Eagle used on other obsoletes ,but never the 4 together .

14. connor1

connor1 Collector

[​IMG]
    Under the suit jacket pocket G.F.C. Smilie signature
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. gsalexan

What red blooded American male security engraving aficionado wouldn't like the Playboy vignette? :goof:

16. currencylover

currencylover New Member

1 tsp. prepared French Dijon mustard (the French use mild table mustard)
    3 to 4 tsp. vinegar (the French use cider vinegar)
    2/3 c. oil (they prefer olive oil over there)
    1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (optional)
    1 tbsp. sugar (optional)
    1 tbsp. wine (optional; you can add wine to any French recipe)

Prepare fresh several minutes before using.
    Put the mustard in the bowl that you are going to whisk the dressing in. If you are using any of the optional dry ingredients, add them to the mustard. Gradually dribble in the vinegar, while whisking briskly. Keep whisking until all the vinegar has been added and you have a smooth paste. Still whisking, gradually add in the oil. You're done when you have a nice smooth emulsion. Voila! Sauce vinaigrette! Pour over fresh salads and toss. Use as a marinade. Use as a dip. Use as a base for other sauces. Combine with mayonnaise for tuna salad, etc. Add selected spices like dill, or basil, or marjoram, or Italian spice mix, or parsley, etc. for interesting herbal editions. Sop up the leftover dressing in your salad bowl with French bread; adorn the top with a piece of cheese.

17. gsalexan

Ohhhh, I get it -- your favorite vinagrette. For a second I thought I'd stumbled into FoodTalk.com. :rolleyes:

18. gsalexan

19. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

Umm excuse the fact that i know nothing about paper money.

Where do you find awesome things like this. Are they copies and what are the purposes are they made before the currency as a practice? Nice pieces guys even though i have no idea what they are they look cool

20. gsalexan

Lots of people aren't very aware of paper money, so no apology required.

The vignette images in this thread come from a lot of different items:
    • Souvenir cards, which are fairly modern (1960s to present) -- these are currently sold by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing or you can find earlier issues on eBay.
    • Obsolete stocks and bonds, which can go all the way back to the 1830s -- you can also find these on eBay or at paper money shows. Many are quite inexpensive.
    • Banknotes themselves -- you can find these at paper money shows, too, and often coin shows if you ask around. Paper money can include obsolete bank notes, which were issued by banks themselves in the 1830s to 1850s; military payment certificates, which GIs used during WWII and later wars to buy items at the PX; and federal currency that came into use around the Civil War and continues to the present.

There's a lot of other niche collectibles that also include engraved vignettes. The nicest ones (IMHO) tend to be from the American Bank Note Company, which was in existence from 1858 until 1990. Hope that's not too much information. :)

21. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

Thanks gsalexan. Maybe one day I'll pick up an inexpensive one, so I can have cool stuff like paper money collecters :)

Draft saved Draft deleted