Post Your Favorite Sestertius!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    commodus sestertius

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Wow! There are some great coins posted here. I like the history and artwork on these coins.

I will go for a slightly different RR sestertius, assuming an As of 350 grams and a sestertius = 1/4 denarius = 2.5 Asses, how about a Ramo Secco equivalent

IMG_0645.JPG

RAGNAROK, Cucumbor, stevex6 and 9 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I love it! Great post!

Ancient Aussie and Curtisimo like this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Another favorite of mine is this heavy Sestertius of Antoninus Pius, struck under Marcus Aurelius. ex Roma. 422.jpeg

Cucumbor, stevex6, dlhill132 and 9 others like this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's cool, what's going on there on the reverse?

Julius Germanicus and ro1974 like this.
  8. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

I dont know, mabye though heavy cleaning

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  9. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

10. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Lovely Domitian, Ro!
    Thracian mint?

ro1974 likes this.
  12. Ancient Aussie

This video might bring back memories, it just makes me want to go back.

Mikey Zee, Andres2, RAGNAROK and 3 others like this.
  13. Solidus

Solidus New Member

Just thought i would post my cut half. It is a deliberately cut Sestertius of postumus dating to AD 260-261 Laetitia avg. Reverse depicting a galley, mint of Lyon .R.I.C. no 143 - deliberately cut in half incised groove visable to the right of the break on the obverse another little coin dug up whilst detecting.

Attached Files:

Ancient Aussie and Curtisimo like this.
  14. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Asking me to pick my favorite Sestertius is like asking me which of my children I like best, but in the case of the Sestertius I will at least try.

This Nero is a serious contender for that title: AD 54-68. Æ Sestertius (36.5mm, 26.04 g). Lugdunum Mint. Struck circa AD 65. Laureate head left, globe at point of neck / Nero on horseback riding right, holding spear; behind him, soldier on horseback riding right, holding vexillum. RIC I 437

[​IMG]

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool vid, Ancient Aussie

16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That's awesome Ancient Aussie! I remember being puzzled at what the long hall in the Canopo was for...
    IMG_4159.JPG
    IMG_4160.JPG
    ...now I know it was a cross between an ancient air conditioner and an easy listening soundtrack! ;)

How long ago were you there?

Hi @Solidus and welcome to CoinTalk! I had trouble viewing your file on my phone earlier since it was in PDF so I hope you don't mind that I converted it to .jpg and am re-posting it in case others were having trouble as well :)
    SESTERTIUS_C (1).jpg
    Really cool addition!

TIF, Mikey Zee, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

Glad you like the video Curtisimo/stevex6, I visited in Oct 2015, but only had a couple of hours there as with a group tour and missed a few things. Next trip we will go without a group and spend a day there.....anyway good excuse to go back again :cool:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Eduard, gregarious and Curtisimo like this.
  18. Ancient Aussie

Oh well seeing I kickstarted this thread again I might as well slam another SES in Antoninus Pius, 140 AD, Tiberis, Rome, 32mm, 26.5gm. RIC 642a. That's see some more of those fantastic big lumps of bronze......:rolleyes: mTq84zRGbQ9rP6kcfbJ5n2PXFd7apS (1).jpg

TIF, RAGNAROK, Mikey Zee and 9 others like this.
  19. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

my favorite is the oversized sest. of Nero. i haven't found a exact match yet of it. and speaking of neros.. has anyone seen ro lately? i've seen nee of ro. hope he's ok. nero, tiberius galba octavian coins 002.JPG nero, tiberius galba octavian coins 003.JPG

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, ro1974 and 6 others like this.
  20. Ancient Aussie

No come to think of it ro1974 has been unusually quite the last day or two, that is one nice big bronze you have there.

ro1974, Curtisimo and gregarious like this.
  21. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

thanks AA. yeah, ain't like ro1974 not to be chatting and posting something.

ro1974, Curtisimo and Ancient Aussie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted