Post Your Favorite Sestertius!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There was recently a thread inviting everyone to post their favorite Denarius. That post got a lot of great entries so I thought it might be fun for everyone to post their favorite Sestertius. If you can't pick just one feel free to give your top 5.

I recently bought my very first Sestertius so I will post it up as my current favorite :) I've been experimenting with some photography effects to try and make some of my coin images pop. Feel free to give me your thoughts.

IMG_3762.JPG
    Obverse: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, laureate and draped bust right

Reverse: PIETAS AVG, Pietas standing left, praying with hands upraised at altar to left; stork to right, S-C across fields

RIC II 771.
    Weight: 22.77g
    Diameter: 31mm

And because I love Hadrian, history and architecture here are a couple of photos from Hadrians villa to show what he spent all these amazing coins on.

IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That mosaic.:eek:

My only sestertius, also of Hadrian.

IMG_8235.JPG IMG_8236.JPG

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

is that you hanging out at the villa curtisimo?

not my favorite, but my most recent, a MA with roma reverse.

[​IMG]

i should have another sestertius in my mailbox tomorrow!

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice coin! Yes that is me lounging around Hadrian's Villa like I own the place. I don't...but it would be super cool if I did :)

If you ever get a chance to go I highly recommend it. To me it was every bit as impressive as the Coliseum

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Hard one. I like them all. I will go with this one.

Agrippina Sr Sestertius.jpg

7. alde

alde Always Learning

This is my favorite. It's Vespasian and son's. I catalog it as RIC-150. Photo Collage Maker_cZopnx-1.png

gregarious, mcwyler, Puckles and 13 others like this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin, and great location I went there in 2015 and was mesmerised.

Curtisimo and ro1974 like this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

I have a couple of favorites but this one of Antoninus Pius, showing the finished temple of Faustina still standing in the Forum today. AD 141, RIC 1115, 24.88gm, 33mm, Black patina. Has a lot of history attached to it. Also take note of the extra set of stairs on the lower left hand side of the coin something I have not seen on any other type of this coin. db_file_img_30096_478x230 (2).jpg

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice!

Heres my favorite 2:
    001_019.JPG
    3 021.JPG

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well I just posted this one the other day but this one is probably my favorite:

[​IMG]
    Maximinus Thrax, Rome, AD 235-238
    AE, sestertius, 31mm, 20g; 12h; AD 235-236
    Obv.: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG; laureate, draped bust right
    Rev.: PROVIDENTIA AVG; Providence standing left with cornucopiae and wand over globe at feet, S-C across field

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

These two Marcus Aurelius sestertii are my faves.

Marcus Aurelius - RELIG AVG c.jpg
    MARCUS AURELIUS
    AE Sestertius. 29.44g, 31mm. Rome mint, AD 173. RIC 1075; Cohen 535. O: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII, laureate head right. R: IMP VI - COS III, Mercury standing left on pedestal, holding caduceus and purse, within a tetrastyle temple with telamons as columns; semicircular pediment containing, from left to right, tortoise, cockerel, ram, winged helmet, caduceus, and purse; S-C in field, RELIG AVG in exergue.
    Notes: This type is popularly associated with the Rain Miracle of the Legio XII Fulminata (Thundering 12th Legion). According to Cassius Dio, the 12th Legion under the command of Marcus Aurelius had found themselves encircled and heavily outnumbered by a Quadi Army. Stricken with fatigue, thirst, and the heat, they were on the verge of capture when an Egyptian magician named Anurphis, a companion of the emperor, invoked the aid of Mercury as god of the wind and air. A sudden storm rose in the midst of the battle, reviving the Romans with rain while destroying their enemies with hail and lightning.

Marcus Aurelius - Sestertius Divus.jpg
    DIVUS MARCUS AURELIUS
    AE Sestertius. 25.61g, 31.9mm. Rome mint, AD 180, struck under Commodus. RIC 660. O: DIVVS M ANTONINVS PIVS, bare head right. R: CONSECRATIO, Eagle, carrying a thunderbolt in its talons, flying right, bearing aloft Marcus Aurelius, who holds a sceptre; S-C across fields.
    Ex HD Rauch Summer Auction, 15 September 2008, lot 621

And one final one, a sentimental favorite, being the first sestertius I ever bought...
    antoninus pietas.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Sestertius. 27.24g, 32mm. Rome mint, AD 158-159. RIC 1002. O: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XXII, laureate head right. R: PIETATI AVG COS IIII, Pietas standing facing, head left, globe extended in right, child in left arm, flanked by a child on each side at her feet; S-C across field.
    Notes: Pius's daughter, Faustina, as Pietas on the reverse, holding newborn Fadilla, with daughters Faustina and Lucilla standing by her side.

13. Ancient Aussie

Good choices, you have to admit Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius had the most varied and interesting Sestertius of the Roman empire.

Roman Collector, Curtisimo and zumbly like this.
  14. Ancient Aussie

That's a beautiful coin with a fantastic portrait.

Jwt708 and ro1974 like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Curtisimo => congrats on your sweet new OP-Sestertius!! (very cool Hadrian)

man, they sure are sweet coins to hold, eh? (probably my favourite holding-coin? ... hmmm, although those big Ptolemy babies are pretty cool as well, eh?)

Anyway ... I have lots of great Sestertius examples, but I always smile when I see this great coin

Otac Hippo.jpg

... cool thread (thanks for posting the photos ... ummm, I'm assuming that's you in the one shot?) ... it is always great putting a face to a member

Cheers

:rolleyes:

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have many coins of Septimius Severus but few are sestertii. This one has the reverse of the three Monetae.
    rs4845bb2731.jpg

I have always liked the die engraving on this very young Caracalla as Caesar.
    rs6580fd0126.jpg

Last is my perfectly good sestertius of Antoninus Pius which suffered being overstruck by Postumus. I am unclear what reverse was on the Pius coin but the Postumus is the galley type.
    rx1912bb3190.jpg

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There are some real lookers in this thread!

I only have a few sestertii. This is my favorite, which I stupidly posted in the recent "favorite denarii" thread :oops:

[​IMG]
    Nero
    struck in Rome, CE 63
    Orichalcum sestertius, 34 mm, 26.7 gm
    Obv: NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP PP; laureate head right, wearing aegis
    Rev: ANNONA AVGVSTI CERES; Ceres, veiled and draped, seated left, holding corn ears and torch, her feet on stool, facing Annona standing right, holding cornucopia; between them, modius on garlanded altar; in background, stern of ship
    Ref: RIC 98. Cohen 24
    Heritage, CICF World and Ancient Coin Signature Auction, Apr 2014. Removed from NGC slab.

@Curtisimo, your pictures of Hadrian's villa are fantastic!

As for your coin background experimentation, the idea of "rippling water" reflections is interesting. I think it might look better if the obverse and reverse didn't have the same ripple pattern (make one ripple for the lower part of the composition).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I was confused, but I assumed it was intentional.

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I really don't think the one I posted was my favorite. Maybe it is. I love them all so here's the rest of mine:

My first empress coin! Big thanks to you @stevex6
    [​IMG]
    Faustina the Younger, Rome, AD 128-175
    AE, 31mm, 23.72g; Rome mint
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA; draped bust right wearing circlet of pearls
    Rev: IVNONI REGINAE S-C; Juno, veiled, standing left, holding patera & scepter; peacock standing left at feet, head reverted

This was my first.
    [​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244
    AE, sestertius, 25.46g, 32.5mm; 12h; Rome, AD 238-239
    Obv.: IMP CAES MANT GORDIANVS AVG; laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: VICTORIA AVG; Victory advancing left, carrying wreath and palm; S-C

This one I thought was nice on both sides, the portrait is not so bad as the image suggests and it is a Virtus reverse.
    [​IMG]
    Postumus, AD 260-269
    Ӕ Sestertius, 31x29mm, 19.2g, 12h; Lugdunum mint, AD 261
    Obv.: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: VIRTVS AVG, Mars standing right holding spear and leaning on shield.

The portrait was too good to pass up and I even though the galley is beat up, I still love it.
    [​IMG]
    Postumus, AD 260-269
    AE “Double" Sestertius, 33mm, 24.9g, 12h; Colonia Agrippinensis or Treveri mint.
    Obv.: IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMVS P F AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: LAETITIA AVG (AVG in exergue); Galley left, four rowers and steersman

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nero Claudius Drusus 1.jpg
    NERO CLAUDIUS DRUSUS
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: NERO CLAVDIVS DRVSVS GERMANICVS IMP - Bare head left
    REVERSE: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TRP IMP Exe: SC - Claudius seated left, holding branch; weapons on floor
    Rome 41BC-2 AD
    28.6g, 36mm
    RIC 93
    Hadrian 6.jpg
    HADRIAN
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS P P, laureate bust right, draped far shoulder
    REVERSE: HILARITAS P R S-C, COS III in ex, Hilaritas standing facing holding palm & cornucopia, two small children flanking her
    Struck at Rome, 128-134AD
    25.30g, 35mm
    RIC 970
    Maximus 1.jpg
    MAXIMUS
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: MAXIMVS CAES GERM - Bare-headed, draped bust right
    REVERSE: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS - Maximus standing left, holding baton and spear, two standards behind
    Struck at Rome, 236-238 AD
    18.3g, 28.5mm
    RIC 9, C 14
    OTACILIA SEVERA 2.jpg
    OTACILIA SEVERA
    Æ Sestertius
    OBVERSE: MARCIA OTACILIA SEVERA AVG, diademed and draped bust right
    REVERSE: SAECVLARES AVGG, SC in ex, Hippopotamus standing right, head raised
    Struck at Rome, 248 AD
    18.6g, 30mm
    RIC 200a, Cohen 65
    ex Warren Esty

Draft saved Draft deleted