Post your favorite Jesus Christ portrait.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by princeofwaldo, Feb 2, 2020.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

1400-1413 Venice Ducat, Doge Michele Steno:

Dsc_1142.jpg Dsc_1140+.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great zecchino! Here are some of my Byzantines/ 27e98002af7c34fa205886d2ecccf193 (1).jpg image30374.jpg 89968a225ab72e5cc99a4f00b91fe3c7.jpg

4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

AUSTRIA, Wien (Vienna). AR Medallic Halbtaler (47mm, 14.26 g, 12h). Donative issue. Struck 17th century. Radiate and draped bust of Christ left within laurel border / Conjoined coats-of-arms of Vienna within ornate frame; above, MVN RP flanked by crosses; below VIENN flanked by crosses; additional decoration above and below; all within laurel border. Cf. Markov 11, lot 532 (for a taler weight issue). Near EF, toned, edge bump, traces of mounting.

AusHalbtaler01.jpg

5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

6. princeofwaldo

That's a great one!

Chris B likes this.
  7. fred13

fred13 Junior Member Supporter

The profileration of Venetian ducats available recently has worked to my advantage. Same doge different dies

lf-2-2.jpeg lf-3-2.jpeg

8. panzerman

Papal States/ Roman Senate Issue
    MS-66
    1350-1439
    Rome Mint 4232825l.jpg

9. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

1678 Italy - Papal States
    Piastra (Scudo of 80 Bolognini) DAV-4089
    Obv: Pope Innocent XI
    Rev: Christ in boat calming the storm
    1678-piastra-both.jpg

10. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

1753 IBH German States - Harz
    Harz-Zellerfeld Katsouros-23; 50 mm
    Obv: John the Baptist kneeling to the left, baptizing Jesus Christ standing facing with arms crossed in the Jordan river.
    1753-harz-obv-combined-small.jpg

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Italy medal with a pope on the obverse and baby Jesus on the reverse. Polish_20200204_190232285.jpg

dlhill132, wcg, Seattlite86 and 3 others like this.
  12. panzerman

Here is another of mine
    Madonna/ Baby Jesus reverse
    AV Dukat 1677 K-B Kremnitz Mint/ Hungary
    HRE Leopold I 1664-1705 IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG

13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Hungary 1848 Ducat
    War of Independence issue

G7rQBxtRuahT6DZwNjkL_obv.jpg
    aNO69cJCRHCIgkxAIg0i_rev.jpg

14. panzerman

That is a very nice 1848 example.

Jaelus likes this.
  15. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Pictured below is my favorite coin picturing Jesus Christ :D. I finally sent the coin to NGC to get it slabbed about a week ago. When they return it I'll post pictures of the slab ;).

AE Nummus AD 967-1065, copy (2).jpg Anonymous AE Nummus, AD 976 - 1065, Constantinople Mint: 10.48 gm, 29 mm, 6 h. Jesus Christ is pictured holding a book of Gospels with his left hand & giving a blessing with his right hand. The reverse inscription translates: Jesus Christ King of Kings.

Pellinore, dlhill132, wcg and 6 others like this.
  16. wkferry

wkferry Member

Constantine VII solidus

Attached Files:

dlhill132 and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. princeofwaldo

Both PCGS MS64. Nearly identical obverse, but not quite. Notice the dots flanking the date on the 5 Schilling. They are missing on the 100 Schilling. Quite a few differences on the reverse though of the same overall design. I think I like the gold bird better. aus1934a (2).jpg aus1936c (2).jpg aus1934b (2).jpg aus1936d (2).jpg

18. princeofwaldo

Much like my original post, it's interesting how the portrait on your coin and mine have the same rough and iconic overall design, but with very prominent eyeballs that are nearly perfect spherical domes protruding from the face.

panzerman likes this.
  19. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

princeofwaldo, your observations are accurate ;). A front facing view of a monarch or god on a coin or medal can make a powerful impression especially when their eyes are accented & looking directly into yours. The image on our coins & the gems posted by fred13, & wkferry are all variations of Christ as Pantocrator or judge, the one who rules everything. These images at times can be intimidating :nailbiting:. The images on the 1st three beautiful coins posted by John (panzerman), depict Christ as Rex Regnantium, King of those who rule. Those images show Christ enthroned & usually depict the Virgin Mary crowning the emperor on the reverse or the emperor standing alone. Very few common people could afford these handsome gold coins but literally anyone could afford a bronze coin like the one I posted. Tens of millions of these coins were struck & they circulated for a long time. Many were pierced & worn as jewelry & many were just carried by people as keepsakes, for protection & good luck pieces. Very few of these bronze coins exist in mint state today like the one in my collection :D.

20. princeofwaldo

Which of course begs the question, how did it not get spent? Doesn't look like it has ever been underground, the patina is too even and the color almost like gunmetal. Kind of doubt it was kept by a coin collector but I suppose anything is possible.

21. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

What an inspiring idea! :). Here's one of mine. Justinian II. AR Hexagram (22.5mm, 6.43 g, 6h). Constantinople mint, 692-695. Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator; cross behind / Justinian standing facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding akakia and cross potent set on two steps. Sear Byz. 1259; DOC 17; MIB 40; BM 26-7; BNP 2.
    2019.07a.jpg

Pellinore, dlhill132, wcg and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted