Post your extraordinary, unusual, technologically advanced, etc.. coins here.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Johndoe2000$, Aug 13, 2017.

1. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I have a US Quarter that when I got it felt light and looked thin. I weighed it and it was only 4.1 grams. I stopped by my friend's jewelry store and used their metal analyzer and it came out as 25% nickel and 75% copper. A nickel is 25% nickel, the quarter and dime are 8.22% nickel. I now have a quarter that was struck on a nickel planchet.

1970 D Quarter on a nickel planchet..jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Here is a link to an EBAY page offering these (3) from the Magnificent Life series. So far they have released the Peacock, the Spider, and the snake. (quick description) and WOW they are not cheap. Especially the Peacock. I thought I paid around $75 for my spider, I'll need to double check that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055359.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmagnificent life coin set.TRS0&_nkw=magnificent life coin set&_sacat=0

4. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Neat thread. I like seeing the various innovations in minting.

I consider this to be my most "technologically advanced" issue:
    [​IMG]
    I believe it to be the most accurate rendition of North America to ever appear on a coin or medal. This is because I used Digital Elevation Model (DEM) data from the US Geological Survey for the topography and applied it to a mathematical Orthographic map projection. Then I plotted the exact totality path (longitude & latitude points) on that projection. All of that was done on the computer using a software program that I wrote. It was then "reduced" in size and the die was cut using a computer-controlled milling/engraving machine.

5. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Funny that its the same year this happened...http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/09/1970-d-quarter-dollar-struck-on-dime-stock.all.html#. This error always stuck with me for some reason.

6. Johndoe2000$

Wow, I knew the Eclipse w/wo the hologram was cool, but I didn't know of the maps accuracy. Very cool Dan.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  7. TheMont

I read that article too, but if the metal analyzer shows 25% nickel, only the 5 cent nickel has 25% nickel in it. A dime has 8.22% so it can't be from dime stock or planchet.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What does the edge look like?

9. Johndoe2000$

Here is all (3) reverses of the Magnificent life series so far.

s-l1600 (95).jpg s-l1600 (62).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg

I only own the Spider currently.

10. TheMont

The edge of the quarter is very thin. It is reeded and has traces of copper, but not in the center of the edge, closer to the bottom. If it was nickel stock the press, when flattening out he planchet, could have pushed part of the copper toward the bottom.

11. lemur43

lemur43 New Member

I am not sure how to post (what a newbie!) but I have no idea what this is - came as a "foreign coin".
    Thanks in advance

oops I can't even find how to add a pic.
    (You may laugh at me if you are so inclined) L0L

Gee - do hope I figured it out. Double lol

Attached Files:

Tyler Graton and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@TheMont. Metal analyzers only penetrate a thousandths of an inch. The outer layers of clad coins are 75% Copper and 25% nickel, so it's correct. Based on the weight, it looks like you may have something.

13. Kentucky

But nickels are not clad

Tyler Graton likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Better than most of my pictures. An old damaged Italian coin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italy-1861-...321087?hash=item544bd2387f:g:pNYAAOxyYANTYB5S

Tyler Graton likes this.
  15. Johndoe2000$

Welcome to C.T., your pics are fine, but please use full size option for your pics in the future. I think @Kentucky answered your question. (I think) hard to tell for sure. (for me anyway).

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

17. TheMont

As it turns out, the quarter I posted above is actually on dime stock. In 1970 dimes where 25% nickel, that explains the traces of copper. Sometime between then and now the mint dropped the percentage in dimes from 25% to 8.2 %, the Red Book still lists 25% and that's how I came to the conclusion that maybe I was wrong assuming it was nickel stock (still 25% nickel), well that and about a gazillion results on Google talking about a 1970 D Quarter made from dime stock. Seems the Denver mint blew it and about 100,000 got out to the public. Still a collectable error though.

18. Johndoe2000$

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    dwhiz likes this.
  19. Johndoe2000$

One of my favorite Medals...

s-l400 (96).jpg

s-l400 (98).jpg
    s-l400 (97).jpg

Rassi, dwhiz, Chiefbullsit and 2 others like this.
  20. Johndoe2000$

Just cool looking... and no queen. :)

SOL_R_av__43450.1504103926.1280.1280.jpg
    SOL_R_rv__36289.1504103925.1280.1280.jpg

dwhiz, Chiefbullsit and Tyler Graton like this.
  21. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Uhhhhh. Really? That's what it's supposed to be? A hovercraft lol that pretty cool and very random at the same time. Like it haha

Draft saved Draft deleted