Post your error coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MercuryDimes, Jan 15, 2012.

1. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

Yes, the clip is at 11:00 on the obverse and 7 on the reverse. its not a major clip, it just looks like the rim is flattened out in the area where the clip is. I need to polish the slab I know....Thinking about just having it reslabbed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is another I've posted before. Again, this is for the benefit of the newer members who may not have seen it. This 2005-S Silver Proof KS SQ was one of two with the die gouge on the bison that I received from the Mint. Since I had ordered two sets for myself and two for a friend, I felt that it was only fair that he should have one.

Supposedly, another person in the southwest US had ordered 10 sets, kept one for himself and distributed the others to relatives as gifts. He hadn't realized that all 10 sets had the die gouge on the bison, and by the time he reported the error to Coin World, I had already made Billy Crawford aware of it and he posted photos in his Die Variety News.

Anyway, these 12 have been the only ones reported, and it was added to the newest Cherrypickers Guide, 5th Edition, Volume II as FS-S25-2005S-KS-901. It is interesting to note that the authors of the CPG feel that there may be more existing, but unreported. Personally, I think it may be rather unlikely that there are more out there since it has been alomst 7 years since their release, but more importantly, because the inspection process for the proof coins is much stricter. This die gouge is very visible to the naked eye, and you would think that other specimens would have been caught before leaving the Mint.

What is most interesting about it is that the die gouge had to have occurred before the application of the cameo to the die, because, as you can see from the photo, there is no break in the cameo at all. What I find particularly satisfying is that NGC graded this error PF70 ULTRA CAMEO. How often is it that you find a "perfect" error?

Chris

Attached Files:

Islander80-83 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

This is my 1935 "Crack Head" Buffalo nickel with a planchet defect. I found this in a bulk purchase at a garage sale in 2005. It is fairly heavily circulated, so the entire view of the obverse and reverse is immaterial.

Chris

Attached Files:

Islander80-83 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

Debris-filled strikethrough's on Lincoln cents seem to be very common. I think it may have something to do with the copper, itself. If you've ever handled new copper pipe, you may have noticed that it has a greasy feel to it. Perhaps this anomaly attracts dust and dirt during the minting process.

Anyway, the next two posts contain photos of a variety of debris-filled strikethrough's that came from a single $50 Mint bag of 1980 Phillies. The first two are one with a retained strikethrough and one with a partially retained strikethrough.

Chris

Attached Files:

6. cpm9ball

Lincoln Strikethrough's, Part II.........

Attached Files:

7. cpm9ball

This 1982-P Kennedy has a die clash of the rays on the obverse and "plugged" tailfeathers on the reverse.

Chris

Attached Files:

8. cpm9ball

How about this 1983 Lincoln? Is it supposed to be Lincoln's purse or a lock?

Chris

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

This 2006-P Kennedy struck through wire was found in a Mint roll.

Chris

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

Here is another 2005-S KS Silver Proof 25c, but I'm not sure if this was the result of a strikethrough or a planchet defect.

Chris

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Chris, I need to ask, in the picture that you provided of Lincoln's strikethrough how can you tell that is a strike through? That almost looks like glue on the coin.

Thanks!!

12. cpm9ball

They are all recessed. I examined them and took the photos with my stereomicroscope. Glue would appear to be raised.

Chris

13. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

It did appear raised to my eye that is why I ask..thanks for the info Chris!

14. cpm9ball

That's one of the strange things about viewing something through a microscope. It brings the object so close that it is hard to tell if it is raised or recessed. If you have a microscope, zoom in and take a look at the letters in "LIBERTY" on the Morgan dollar. You will swear that it looks raised.

Chris

15. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

:)

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

17. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

19. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

20. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Brockage';

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Struck on wrong planchet:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. PittsburghMom

PittsburghMom Active Member

I ended up with 2 error coins from the 2011 Anniversary Set...Here's the better one that I just sent off to PCGS:

Anniversary Proof 2.jpg Anniversary Proof 4.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted