Post your Emergency Issue coins and notes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seattlite86, Feb 6, 2019.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Germany BRANDENBURG IN FRANCONIA Albrecht Alcibiades
    Uniface Field Taler Klippe 1553 struck by the duke during the so-called 2nd Margraves' War

Brand in Franc Alb Alcibiades Field Talerklippe 1553 with Zollern arms 156.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Those Westphalian pieces were not really notgeld but primarily used for fundraising. Also keep in mind that a German "Billion" is an American trillion ...

Christian

Stork likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Some French Notgeld

IMG_1120 (2).JPG

5. talerman

Low Countries BREDA Emergency Uniface Lead Siege Stuiver 1577

During the revolt of the Low Countries against Spanish rule, Breda was occupied by a Spanish garrison consisting mainly of German troops. William of Orange's troops laid siege on August 4 1577 and the city surrendered on October 4. Within the city, the magistrate ordered silver to be brought to the mint to strike emergency coinage of 5000-6000 guilders. In addition, 5000 guilders of tin money was struck. Finally, lead coins were also minted. The city had to support the garrison and most of these coins were used to pay these troops, who behaved badly and were very unpopular. In 1581 the city would fall into the hands of the Spaniards again.

Breda Lead Siege Stuiver 1577 Uniface738.jpg

6. talerman

France CAMBRAI Jean de Montluc, seigneur de Balagny, Governor
    Uniface Siege 10 Patards 1595

The archbishopric of Cambrai was in the border territory between France and the Spanish Netherlands. In 1576 the French chased out the pro-Spanish Archbishop of Cambrai, Louis de Berlaymont. In 1581 Francois, Duke of Anjou, the king's brother took control of Cambrai and appointed Jean de Balagny as Governor. In 1595 Louis de Berlaymont, returned with a Spanish army and laid siege to the town on August 8. This coin was struck in the name of King Henri IV during that siege. The rapacious governor was very unpopular and the citizens eventually opened the gates to the Archbishop. Balagny surrendered on October 7.

Cambrai Siege 10 Patards 1595 Uniface 139.jpg

7. talerman

I am feeling a little lonely on this thread recently but, as long as I am getting Likes, I will continue to post coins. I have long been interested in siege coins.

Poland DANZIG Siege Taler 1577 Struck when city besieged by Stefan Batory, whom they did not recognize as king of Poland.

Danzig Siege Taler 1577 obv 891.jpg Danzig Siege Taler 1577 rev 892.jpg

Poland DANZIG Siege Groschen 1577

Danzig Siege Groschen 1577 obv 042.jpg Danzig Siege Groschen 1577 rev 044.jpg

PaulTudor, ffrickey, Chris B and 5 others like this.
  8. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Very nice Taler!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Wrong impression, excellent decision. While I am basically interested in "emergency issues" too, I do (apart from a few local notgeld pieces) not have any. So this is like visiting a museum, looking at or even admiring the exhibits. And contrary to (some) museums, you also provide some historical background with every "exhibit". So yes, you get the likes, we get the images. Deal? ;)

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. chucktee

chucktee Member

Chambres de Commerce de France, 2 Francs, 1921. Obv-800.jpg Rev-800.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Seattlite86, chrsmat71 and talerman like this.
  11. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

1915 Oaxaca Mexico Provisional Government one centavo. Recently picked this up in an auction. I believe that these are fairly scarce based on infrequency of past auction results.
    1915 Oaxaca Centavo.jpg

12. talerman

Thank you for the encouragement. With this support, here are some more.

Denmark Christian V CHRISTIANSTAD Siege money struck by commandant Hans Vilhelm von Meerheim when Christianstad was besieged by the Swedes during the Scanian War. The coins were mainly copper but also lead and tin.The siege began in August 1677 and the garrison finally surrendered on 5 Aug. 1678.

8 Skilling Uniface Klippe n.d. (1677-78) Copper

Denmark Christianstad siege 8 skilling Cu  nd uniface 650.jpg

4 Skilling Uniface Klippe n.d. (1677-78) Lead

Denmark Christianstad Siege 4 Skilling Lead Klippe nd uniface 734.jpg

2 Skilling Uniface Klippe n.d. (1677-78) Copper

Denmark Christianstad siege 2 skilling Cu nd uniface 651.jpg

2 Skilling Uniface Klippe n.d. (1677-78) Tin

Denmark Christianstad siege 2 skilling Tin nd uniface 652.jpg

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I have several notgeld coins, but here is a cool non-German emergency coin I own.

100_6293_zps5lzrkqjl.JPG

Sweden, 1 Daler, 1718, Emergency Coinage of Carl XII.

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

This is a favorite of mine also, a big 40 mm 5 sols coin minted in the UK for use in France.

[​IMG]

Seba79, Seattlite86, Stork and 3 others like this.
  15. talerman

chrsmat71 likes this.
  16. talerman

ENGLAND Charles I Newark Siege 30 pence (Half Crown) 1646

Newark-on-Trent, in the Midlands, was besieged a number of times during the English Civil War, finally surrendering on 6 May 1646. The siege coins were struck from silver plate.

England Chas I Newark 30 pence 1646 obv 333.jpg England Chas I Newark 30 pence 1646 rev 334.jpg

17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

An entire year under siege?! I can only imagine how miserable life must’ve been.

I also love Klippe coins for some reason. I’ve yet to acquire one, though.

18. talerman

In 1641, during the English Civil War, a rebellion broke out in Ireland and, with most of the English army withdrawn to England, by 1643 the so-called Catholic Confederates controlled most of Ireland. Four towns in the province of Munster, known as the "Cities of Refuge" (Bandon, Kinsale , Youghal and Cork) with a Parliamentary garrison held out against the Confederated Catholic armies and offered a safe haven for English planters. On 20 March 1646 Lord Broghill, vice-president of Munster, authorised emergency coins to alleviate a shortage of small coin in Youghal. These were the first emergency pieces produced by the "Cities of Refuge". Others followed. The Confederate Catholics allied themselves with the Royalists (with a formal treaty in 1649) but were crushed by Cromwell's army by 1652.

IRELAND "Cities of Refuge" Youghal Emergency Farthing 1646

Ireland Youghal Emergency Farthing 1646 obv 133.jpg Ireland Youghal Emergency Farthing 1646 rev 135.jpg

IRELAND "Cities of Refuge" Cork Emergency Halfpenny n.d. (1646-47)

Ireland Cork Emergency Halfpenny nd 1646-7 obv  130.jpg Ireland Cork Emergency Halfpenny nd 1646-7 rev  132.jpg

IRELAND "Cities of Refuge" Kinsale Emergency Farthing n.d. (1647)

Ireland Kinsale Emergency Farthing nd 1647 obv 021.jpg Ireland Kinsale Emergency Farthing nd 1647 rev 023.jpg

19. Seattlite86

Very awesome pieces. Thanks for the backstory; fascinating!

20. talerman

France LILLE Siege Copper 20 Sols 1708

Lille, in north-west France close to the Belgian frontier, was besieged several times in its history. The 1708 Siege (12 August – 10 December 1708) was the salient operation of the 1708 campaign season during the War of the Spanish Succession. After an obstinate defence of 120 days, the French garrison surrendered the city and citadel of Lille, commanded by Marshal Boufflers, to the Allied forces of the Duke of Marlborough and Prince Eugene.

On 22 October the Allies entered the city at the staggering cost of 12,000 casualties; Boufflers continued to resist from Lille's citadel for several weeks, exacting an additional 4,000 allied casualties. While the allies' deft manoeuvring frustrated French attempts to relieve their precious fortress—the last substantial French bastion in northern Flanders—Boufflers' valiant defence likewise prolonged the siege well into winter, to the point where no operations could be undertaken against France that year. The French defenders of Lille withdrew with full honours of war. (Source: Wikipedia)

Lille 20 sols 1708 French besieged by Allies obv 668.jpg Lille 20 sols 1708 French besieged by Allies rev 670.jpg

Muzyck, Stork, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  21. Seattlite86

Very neat history lesson!

Draft saved Draft deleted