Post your Emergency Issue coins and notes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seattlite86, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Russian (Soviet Red Army Headquarters) military currency for general circulation in occupied territory in China in 1945.

Russian Military in Manchuria face DS.jpg
    Russian Military in Manchuria back DS.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Serbia under the fascist occupation during the World War II.
    59.jpg 60.jpg

4. Siberian Man

Czechoslovakia under the fascist occupation during the World War II.
    35.jpg 36.jpg

5. Siberian Man

Poland under the fascist occupation during the World War II.
    This coin has the date "1923". But it is not true.
    49.jpg 50.jpg

6. Siberian Man

Netherlands under the fascist occupation during the World War II.
    59.jpg 60.jpg

7. Crate Digga

Crate Digga Active Member

German Post WWI Notgeld - Starved Skeleton Bear in Cave[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

England Charles I Newark-on-Trent Siege 30 pence 1646

During the English Civil War Newark-on-Trent, in the Midlands, was besieged a number of times, finally surrendering on 6 May 1646. Th siege coins were struck from silver plate.

England Chas I Newark 30 pence 1646 obv 333.jpg England Chas I Newark 30 pence 1646 rev 334.jpg

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Trésor Français - French post WWII issues for occupied Germany and Austria after 1945

trésor français WWII post liberation Germany and austria face ds.jpg
    trésor français WWII post liberation Germany and austria back ds.jpg

10. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Régie des Chemins de Fer des Territoires occupés - Franco-Belgian Railways Administration issue for use in occupied German territory, 1923

Franco Belgian Railways Administration in Occupied German territory front 1923 ds.jpg
    Franco Belgian Railways Administration in Occupied German territory back 1923 ds.jpg

11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Austria 1948 10 Groschen. Zinc issue post WWII. The film on it is because it’s from a very old German collection and the previous collector oiled most of the zinc and iron coins. I’ve got a lot more wartime issues in the collection to photograph.
    74C1F2A6-6630-432E-9737-5BE2D54CF361.jpeg E5D60C53-82FA-4877-927B-15D58FB0638F.jpeg

Stork and chrisild like this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Now whether than 10 groschen coin is notgeld ... ;) It was first issued roughly at the same time as the zinc 5 gr coin, and that one stayed in circulation for several decades. Now the 10 piece was replaced by an aluminum coin in 1951 - as far as I know, mostly because the two had turned out to bee too similar.

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

That’s totally fair :p So I was struggling to narrow down what an “emergency issue” is. I feel like a broader interpretation is good. One that also incorporates inflation and/or metal composition changes due to costs, which were later returned to another metal, could count.

I’m curious if there’s a clear cut numismatic definition for emergency issues?

chrisild likes this.
  14. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Don't think so. In German, "Notgeld" usually refers to ersatz issues that fill a gap left by the (temporary) lack or absence of regular legal tender money. Whether that is a generally accepted explanation or concept ... not sure.

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Kriegsgeld 1917 10 pfennig iron.jpeg WWI 1917 iron 10 pfennig kriegsgeld from Neuweid am Rhein.
    Not in great condition, but finding this kind of coin in a 25 cent bin makes me happy.

17. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I recently purchased one of those Royan issues. Neat looking piece. France Royan 25 cent 1922 obv.jpg
    France Royan 25 cent 1922 rev.jpg

Stork, Pickin and Grinin and chrisild like this.
  18. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

France AIRE-SUR-LA-LYS
    Aire, in the county of Artois, was besieged ten times between 1127 and 1710. The French under Marshal de la Meilleraie laid siege in May 1641 and Aire surrendered on 26 July but the Spanish retook it on 7 Dec. after another siege. The town was besieged again by the French in 1676 and 1710. However, it remained a Spanish possession until ceded to France by the Treaty of Utrecht on 14 April 1713.
    During the first 1641 siege The Spanish commander Bernovitte struck siege coins from his personal and church silver.

Philip IV of Spain 1 Livre (or Real) Uniface Siege Klippe 1641

Aire Philip IV of Spain 1 real siege klippe 1641 Uniface 898.jpg

AIRE-sur-la-LYS
    During the War of the Spanish Succession the Allies laid siege to Aire on 6 September 1710. The French surrendered on 9 November.

Louis XIV of France 25 sols Uniface Siege Klippe 1710
    Aire Aire 25 sols 1710 French besieged by Allies Uniface obv 649.jpg

Attached Files:

Stork, Pickin and Grinin and chrisild like this.
  19. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

More WWII occupation currency. "Dai Nippon Teikoku Seihu" (The Administration of the Japanese Troops)

Netherlands East Indies Japan occupation 10 Rupiah face DS.jpg
    Netherlands East Indies Japan occupation 10 Rupiah back.jpg

Netherlands East Indies Japan occupation 100 Rupiah face DS.jpg
    Netherlands East Indies Japan occupation 100 Rupiah back DS.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  20. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I have some of the Spanish ones too, this is the only photo handy though:
    combo e7e7e7.jpg

I'm not sure if the end of WWII era Japanese porcelains count--they were pottery/clay/porcelain patterns intended to circulate as no metal could be diverted to be used for money at that point. Some of them saw limited circulation, but they were not fully released or circulated on a national scale before the war ended. That said, in some locales, there were a few that circulated.

combo small.jpg

21. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

1 Billion Mark 1923 & 5 Mark 1921

20170120-103702.jpg 20170120-103737.jpg 20170328-104359.jpg 20170328-104415.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted