Post your eBay Cherrypicks...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Jul 26, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

After trying to cherrypick on eBay and always seeming to miss when the coin arrives, I finally snagged 2 of the same variety in the same week from different sellers. Both finally arrived and I am pretty happy they turned out to be exactly what I thought they were.

Here they are, both are 1942 Walking Liberty FS-801 Doubled Die Reverse half dollars.

1942-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-DDR-FS-801-Obverse.jpg 1942-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-DDR-FS-801-Reverse.jpg 1942-DDR-Detail.jpg

1942-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-DDR-FS-801-Obverse-2.jpg 1942-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-DDR-FS-801-Reverse-2.jpg 1942-DDR-Detail-2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

1942-41possible_zps8c109ff8.jpg I love posting and reposting this. From Feb of 2013. The coin as seen on ebay and then after it got back from NGC. My 1942/1 D MS65+ FB merc.
    1942-41D011_zpsf0eac992.jpg 1942-41D033_zps5e67e722.jpg

4. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Walking liberties and mercs , my 2 favorite US coin designs:woot: , they just don't make em like AA Weinman did yrs ago... Smh

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Bought both of these 1911 $2 1/2 Indians on ebay (seller pics).
    a57b_1.jpg
    af9c_1.jpg
    294082392_o.jpg 294082421_o.jpg

Turned out to both be 1911-D (weak D)

pcgs pics.jpg ebay 079.jpg

6. jtlee321

Nice picks!! I have yet to hit any homeruns on eBay, but I'm swinging away!!

Keep 'em coming.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

KoinJester likes this.
  8. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

about the only time I've felt good about sucking. :rolleyes:

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  9. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Nice Job on all of those.

10. Treashunt

Now, THAT was funny!

11. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Found it on Ebay, negotiated with the seller, sent it successfully to CAC. Best coin I found on Ebay. 1840 $1 xf45 in OGH w CAC composite.jpg

Dougmeister likes this.
  12. jwitten

Can you tell how how it was a cherry pick? What is special about it?

MKent and Santinidollar like this.
  13. Treashunt

ditto, inquiring minds want to know.

MKent likes this.
  14. jtlee321

Typically a Cherrypick has a hidden value that the seller didn't realize. Such as buying a proof buffalo nickel as a regular business strike. Or someone selling a coin that they consider to be in worse condition than it actually is. For example, recently i bought a 1901-S Morgan in AU but paid only $25.00 because it was heavily toned over and hid its true condition.

15. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

First of all, it's highly unusual to find any 1840 dollars with original surfaces, and even more unusual to find one that looks good - eye appeal - secondly, I was able to negotiate a fair price that would have been slightly below market for an ordinary coin and this one not only looks good, it's in an old green holder - thirdly, I was able to get a CAC sticker on it (1 of only 8 in its grade), which combined with the first and second points made it profitable - likely far more so than it would have been if a dealer had been selling it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I got this for $5:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

And this for $13:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

And this for $38:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

And this for $20 or so:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

And this for $10:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Still waiting for a 4/5-figure jackpot like some of the "suckers" here have had, but I'm happy with what I've gotten so far.

MKent and longshot like this.
  17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Biggest Ebay cherry was probably this...
    1827 O-124 (R-5+)
    Bought for 52. Immediately offered 1100 even with the chicken pecks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  18. jwitten

I don't consider slightly below market a cherry pick, just a good buy. In other words, the coin was listed correctly, the seller knew what they were selling, and you just got a good deal on it.

19. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I've gotten two 1818/5 quarters advertised as 1818's. They're well circulated, so it's tough to see the serif of the 5 inside the upper circle of the 8, but there's another diagnostic to identify them rather easily.

20. jtlee321

It's those "other diagnostics" that can get you an insanely great Cherrypick. Those are things you don't want to give away to others. There are only a couple of coins that I personally know of that I look for with diagnostics that can be discerned even with bad lighting and crummy pictures. But they are so rare, I still have yet to find one. Someday though....

21. jtlee321

Draft saved Draft deleted