Post your Dan Carr tokens (HERE AND NOWHERE ELSE)!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

After reading all the threads this morning i went on Dan Carr's website and was going to order 5 owls, but there was only one left..:) maybe he'll make a few more.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Actually that's the short answer. To be more specific, he totally defaces and/or scraps the dies once he's done using them. Take the final mintage for the 1964-D Morgan die pairs 1 & 2. The standard versions were/are at final mintage but he's continuing to use them for the clashed dies versions which is about to end. Then those will go to final mintage and he is done with the dies so then he scraps them.

I'm torn on that somewhat though. They would be monster collectibles in the decades to come on the one hand, but on the other it prevents and protects mintages and prevents someone 100yrs from now creating Carr restrikes from original dies

ZoidMeister and Paul M. like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Defaced dies didn't stop Bashlow

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I know. I'm guessing that's probably why he scraps them instead of just defaces. Curious though if he scraps all or just defaces some and to what extent. Boy would I like one of the 64-D Morgan obverse dies with a big ole X in it :)

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm curious too. Some say defaced, others say defaced and scrapped. Not sure if that is just a wording difference or an actual distinction

7. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

All retired dies are defaced and scrapped, except for a couple dies I have in my display case at the mint (various broken dies plus a 2008 Knights of the Coin table 63mm obverse die).

In the case of the "1964-D" Peace Dollar over-strikes, after I broke the date area off the last die pair, I cut and "X" in the dies and struck a few more pieces (not released) for my own entertainment. Then I totally defaced and scrapped the dies after that.

I do not let any of my dies out.

"Final Mintage" figures are generally that. But they are sometimes adjusted up or down after things settle out, due to recounting or scrapping/melting.

Paul M., dwhiz and Cascade like this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Received my shipping notice. Wow that was quick.
    Thanks

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Working from home today so I was here when this sexy little nugget arrived earlier. Now, do I sell it quickly for a decent premium or keep it. Let me think about it...

...Thought about it, KEEP! :)

20170301_093149_HDR~2.jpg 20170301_093215_HDR~2.jpg

ZoidMeister, Paul M., dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  10. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

WOO-WOO, man, that looks lots better than I thought it would. If mine looks like that I'll keep it too. Hope mine comes today.

Cascade likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@dcarr , why are there circular striations on the planchet? I see them on my reeded edge hard times tokens as well.

12. That actually looks a lot better than I thought! I like the S mint mark. I'll give you $200 for it. :D:p

Chiefbullsit and Cascade like this.
  13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Also, I picked this up from my buddy Dave Emslie at Long Beach. It's beyond gorgeous!

20170219_090924_HDR~2.jpg 20170219_090904_HDR~2.jpg

14. Paul M. and Cascade like this.
  15. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Cascade likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Knights site still up? Heck, I haven't visited it for years. Got the 'Gary' token though.....the one with the turtle and the image of an much beloved member.......I treasure it. :)

17. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Gary Burke is missed by all who knew him. That is by far my favorite DC strike.:)

green18 likes this.
  18. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

The one I have has RIP BOB MUCKEYE MORAY on the edge.

19. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I googled it and came up with this. Didn't know of Gary Burke or the Token until today. Cool looking piece and only 89 were made.

89.jpg

ZoidMeister, green18, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  20. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Just got my last expected token for a bit so it will be going with my shipment to ANACS... Been watching these for a while. Love the Astronaut idea...

20170304_090948.jpg 20170304_091010.jpg

ZoidMeister, green18, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  21. I like this design. I bought the 2019 version he submitted to the mint. I hope his design is selected for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing coin.

ZoidMeister and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted