Post your crooked slabbed coins!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NSP, Aug 29, 2015.

1. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Obviously what matters is the coin and not the slab, but sometimes the coins have moved/rotated themselves by either magic or some other equally mysterious means. Let's see your coins that sit crooked, whopper jawed, rotated, etc. in their slabs!

Here's mine. The picture is poor, but you can tell it kind of pivoted itself inside the *prongs* (not tongs!!... It's one of those days).

image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Endeavor and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

If I get one like that, I pop it on the table a time or two to fix it, so I have none to show :)

Endeavor likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I really hate the way NGC set this Nickel I sent them. It gets loose from the tongs and rattles around. I have to shake it back to the way it looks now and handle the slab carefully. Sloppy work on NGC part :confused:
    3443070-010+1.JPG

charlietig, NSP and Endeavor like this.
  5. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Wait, you can do that?! I'd be too scared that I'd manage to hurt the coin.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Mon Ami......I suspect you expect too much of them...........

Endeavor and paddyman98 like this.
  7. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I hope this was sarcasm

Endeavor likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Tongs or prongs?

Chris

NSP and paddyman98 like this.
  9. paddyman98

The OP used the term Tong so I went with that. But Prong sounds more accurate ;)

10. paddyman98

And now I had to check the NGC website - quote "Plus, NGC’s lauded EdgeView® design suspends the coin within four cushioned prongs to showcase its edge and enhance the overall presentation." closed quote
    I want to share this webpage with you -
    http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/holders/edgeview.aspx

11. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Whoops yeah I meant prongs. :D

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've never understood how this happens, but I find it strangely appropriate that the date and the coin are both slanted. It has since been feed from its coffin. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    onecenter, Seattlite86, NSP and 2 others like this.
  13. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If the coin is loose enough to spin in the slab, tapping it with a small rubber mallet will straighten it out.

14. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

PCGS coins can rotate after slabbing... PCGS certainly doesn't put them in the holders that way. And if they were able to spin to that new position after slabbing, they can almost always be rotated back while still in the slab. Either repeatedly tap the corner of the slab on a hard surface (not hard enough to break it) or vibrate the slab and the coin will often move. There are a few videos of it on YouTube if you need help. Certainly cheaper than the $12 reholder fee (plus shipping/handling)!

Draft saved Draft deleted