Post your Confederate Money and Southern Scrip

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jlogan, Mar 29, 2016.

1. petronius

petronius Duke

Confederate States, $ 50, April 6th 1863

50confederate1863D.jpg

State of Virginia, $ 10, October 15th, 1862

10dollars virginia.jpg

State of South Carolina, 15 cents, February 1863, fractional currency

15cents south carolina1863d.jpg
    15cents south carolina1863r.jpg

petronius :cool:

gsalexan, Alegandron and Quant.Geek like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Lots and lots of awesome notes on this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

That's a gorgeous sheet, Steve!

SteveInTampa and jester3681 like this.
  5. SteveInTampa

Thanks Greg.

The American Bank Note Company had some wonderful vignettes during this period.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

From what I understand those are post Civil War notes - which are my specialty in collecting. Later on I will post some of my post war obsoletes.

SteveInTampa likes this.
  7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

In the immediate aftermath of the war betwixt the states there was a huge shortage of cash in the South. Of course the National Banking Act of 1864 had the effect of driving practically all non-federally authorised currency out of circulation - but the post war South wasn't easily able to acclimate to the new regulations. State issues from South Carolina are very common and lasted into the early 1870s. Tennessee issued notes into the late 1880s, but the all time record for non-federal issued currency goes to Mississippi, which issued notes as late as 1896. Of course other states, and even municipalities issued currency but aside from SC and MS they are often much scarcer.

[​IMG]

Notice this note from postwar, ie dated Sept 25th 1865, Georgia clearly notates that it is payable in U.S currency and that it was issued in the United States of America. It was issued by J.N. Webb, a storekeeper in this small Georgia town.

8. SteveInTampa

Interesting @scottishmoney ....where did these notes circulate ? Did these Georgia notes have any value outside of the immediate region ?

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Not likely unless J.N. Webb was really reputable.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Meanwhile, still in Georgia and eating goober peas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many of the notes issued in the post war South were issued by railroad companies and were payable in fares, freight etc - this one presented itself as less a fare ticket and more a piece of currency as opposed to the notes issued by the South Carolina railroad that masked their issue as "tickets".

11. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

Nice sheet Steve and I love these green tint notes Scott.. An interesting observation of the J N Webb note is the font used on the "U S Currency". It differs from the font of the rest of the sentence. Its as if J N wanted to have an option of payment.

Rich

12. SteveInTampa

That Brunswick & Albany note is a gorgeous note @scottishmoney. The colors, the vignettes, and even the signatures are stunning.

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I forgot to mention that it has a provenance, ex-RickieB.

gsalexan and SteveInTampa like this.
  14. gsalexan

I picked this one up at a stamp show a few days ago for a buck! Under the assumption by the dealer that it was not genuine. I think it is, first because it is cut cancelled. Can anyone offer any further info?

Attached Files:

15. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Here is the one I have. It was found in my Grandma's SDB. In rough shape but I like it.
    note593.jpg

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I don't see anything that suggests it is not a contemporary 1861 era piece. But it does look a bit like a period counterfeit to me. Which IMHO makes it all the more interesting.

17. SteveInTampa

Looks like a T-44 with a portrait of Lucy Pickens.

18. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

New acquisition for my "small change" collection.
    ==
    [​IMG]

Quant.Geek likes this.
  19. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Confederate State of Arkansas

Little Rock, Arkansas: Arkansas Treasury Warrant $1 Apr. 14, 1862 (Criswell-30)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hommer likes this.
  20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

South Carolina Railroad $10 1873 - fare ticket(a cover for being used as currency)

[​IMG]

petronius, gsalexan and Quant.Geek like this.
  21. gsalexan

That is an outstanding piece of engraving, particularly the back.

Draft saved Draft deleted