Post Your Completed Sets.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hommer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I remember when these coins were issued. Just like everything new, it was the talk at the coffee table, not from collectors, but from everyone. It made me wonder at the time, and still does, if every change in currency throughout history, generated as much conversation.

It seems everyone had them and I personally have handled thousands, but most, including me, didn't keep them. The circulation strikes can still be had and bank tellers, though they don't push them, readily give them up upon request. I can only imagine how cool that would have been in the era of other previous issues.

A couple years ago, I decided to put together a set of these. I acquired every coin that I came across at face value and quickly put together a circulated set. The later coins aren't as readilying available as the earlier ones and in my area of the country, the S minted coins of all dates are a rarity but can be found if you are persistent.

I'm not a collector of mint or proof sets, but have purchased many just to break out the coins that I want but save the rest, for future endeavors. The Red Book has this complete set, including proofs and varieties, at 18 coins. It is a very good set for collectors new to the hobby to test their resilience and patients to try to put together other sets.

These coins are pristine only because that was a challenge I added, just to keep me interested, but your's doesn't have to be, and the many other series I am working on aren't. Please post your completed sets also, as I, as well as other set collectors, admire and recognise the persistence it takes to complete them.

My next set should probably be photography skills.
    PART_1469393210527_IMAG0968-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PAEMT

PAEMT StreetMedic

This is a great set for a starter to the hobby, or just for fun. The only "pricey" issues are the two Type 2 Clear-S Proofs, which can go upwards of $100 for slabbed coins. I have a complete BU/Proof set in an album just for fun.

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Neat set.

Hommer likes this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Dansco Franklin - actually pretty easy to put together. I also completed a Dansco Walker album but I'll post the pics soon as I can remember what folder they are in.

000_7089.jpg 000_7094.jpg 000_7095.jpg

6. Hommer

The two type 2 proofs took me the longest to acquire, only because I was determined not to spend more than a hundred on either. The '79 type 2, came from a mint set that I offered $24 for and the seller accepted. The 81 type 2 was harder to deal on and was my last to acquire. I broke it out of a set that I gave $90 for, which again was my final offer. I was able to add type 2 Kennedy's to my collection from those same sets, which eased the pain a little.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Markus1959, Goldee and PAEMT like this.
  7. Markus1959

Found the pics of the Dancsco Walkers - I like the look of the circulated coins, now this one took me awhile to complete as the 21's sucked my wallet dry,
    Sorry for sucky, blurry pics but I guess it's the thought that counts.:)

000_7385.jpg 000_7389.jpg 000_7390.jpg 000_7391.jpg 000_7392.jpg

8. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

If we are talking raw sets, I've completed a couple Franklin sets, a 1946 - 1964 Roosevelt set and a Peace dollar set. I'm pretty darn close to completing a 1932 - 1964 Washington set.

With regards to slabbed sets, I've completed both a toned business strike Franklin set:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=8611&Ranking=all

and a Cameo Proof Franklin set:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=8601&Ranking=all

If you click on the "Gallery" or "Slideshow" links, you'll be able to see pictures of all the coins. Both of these sets were completed some time ago, and I strongly suspect many of the coins would upgrade under current grading standards.

I have also completed and sold slabbed Peace dollar and Quarter Eagle Indian sets.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I really, really like this set. I like what you did to "fill up" that last page, too.

-jeffB and Markus1959 like this.
  10. Markus1959

Skyman likes this.
  11. Markus1959

I was thinking about starting a peace dollar set cause I already have the 21 till I figured out IF my wife found out how much a 28-p cost - I think things would be hanging on the fireplace mantel that used to be attached to my body!! :nailbiting::nurse:

dwhiz and Skyman like this.
  12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Franklin Half Dollars page 1.jpg Franklin Half Dollars page 1a.jpg Franklin Half dollars page 2a.jpg

Attached Files:

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Peace Dollar Set 1.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Thank you VERY much!

Actually, to me, this shows how collecting and the Registry sets valuations are two completely different items. It was always my intention to produce the finest toned set out there, irrespective of grade (well, they all have to be at least MS65). I have a variety of nicely toned, higher technically graded Franklins, but I have not included them in my primary set, as IMO they are not as nicely toned as those in my set. If I included them in the set, I would have a higher ranked set, but IMO it would not be as attractive a set. If you look at the "view count" on the top 25 Registry sets, even though my set is ranked # 20, you'll see that my set has more than TWICE as many views as the next closest set, so you make the call... what makes a top notch set?

15. Markus1959

dwhiz likes this.
  16. Markus1959

Right - but you know how (much$) numbers are manipulated! I won't go any farther than that!!

Dynoking and Skyman like this.
  17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Man them some ugly things, JK. I started with those S.B.A's a long time ago, can't give them away now.
    As to your post. I've been collecting on & off for several years. My present 3 consecutive yrs is longest stretch so far.
    I have several collections started but have yet to complete one. My wife I'm sure would be happy to see me at least put one to rest. My excuse is I'm a Gemini & it's hard to stay concentrated on one single type or era of coins for to long.

Hommer likes this.
  18. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Sorry for bringing this thread down a few notches.

S20160102_002.jpg

19. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Regular issue IHC's

[​IMG]

20. Hommer

That's a neat set. I stared one of those years ago and still add a coin every so often. Congratulations.

RICHARD K and Smojo like this.
  21. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Thanks. This set was completed about 15 years ago or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted