Post Your Commemorative Half Dollars (1892-1954)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WingedLiberty, Jul 22, 2010.

1. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

The Stone Mountain has a great eagle design on the back for sure! Also the obverse is clean and attractive. It's an underrated design (even if it is the 2nd most common).

Inqusitive, Finding a Stone Mountain in circulation is an incredible find! I do remember reading that sometimes commemorative halves were dumped into circulation by the mint when they couldnt sell them all. I like the way the dirt brings out the features of your coin.

LDHair, I use the Attach Image icon on the reply feature, then upload the images directly from my PC. Those images I posted were 600 pixels wide and 72 dpi ... and they uploaded ok. Try that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fishfinder

fishfinder Junior Member

I enjoy looking at the commems. Let's see some more.

Attached Files:

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I love this one, show it show it some love!!

1936 50C SILVER COMMEMORATIVE YORK PCGS MS65 30048318 CAC Obv Closeup.jpg 1936 50C SILVER COMMEMORATIVE YORK PCGS MS65 30048318 CAC Obv Slab.jpg 1936 50C SILVER COMMEMORATIVE YORK PCGS MS65 30048318 CAC Rev Closeup.jpg 1936 50C SILVER COMMEMORATIVE YORK PCGS MS65 30048318 CAC Rev Slab.jpg

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I like mine like I like my women 023-tile.jpg 025-tile.jpg 026-tile.jpg 028-tile.jpg you know been around the block a few times

Skyman, Effigy303 and green18 like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

7. dwhiz

8. green18

Never seen a worn Oregon Dwhiz. Lovely......

9. dwhiz

Thank you

10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

11. onecenter

onecenter Member

You crossed the entire timeframe of classic commemoratives with your post, from the Isabella quarter to the Carver-Washington half. Nice!

The tercentenary of Connecticut is a particular favorite after the Hudson coin, the city I am originally from.

12. green18

I think I can help out Mark..........:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skyman, RickieB, Chiefbullsit and 3 others like this.
  13. ksparrow

thanks, onecenter. the Hudson has become a favorite of mine for other reasons.. mostly humorous. Let's see, we have Poseidon riding a whale backwards, which has 2 "nostrils" spouting water, or are its eyes on stalks? Artistic license, I guess, because if the blowhole were in the correct location, Poseidon would be in for an interesting ride indeed. :wideyed:

dwhiz likes this.
  14. dwhiz

I almost forgot this one 1946D BTW MS64 1-horz.jpg

green18, Skyman and onecenter like this.
  15. onecenter

onecenter Member

Mighty nice! The Seal of the City on the obverse lends itself well to silver and the reverse with a rendition of Henry Hudson's Haalve Moone compliments my old hometown, America's oldest post-independence chartered City and early 19th century whaling port.

I have never seen an actual coin in all its glory. My grandmother told me many, many years ago, that her hairdresser, who happened to be a longtime collector, owned three of these coins, and these were the days when a brilliant uncirculated specimen was worth a very pricey $400 each! One of these days, I hope to own one, as well.

green18 likes this.
  16. green18

I don't have my Swiatek Commem book with me (left the blasted thing upstate) but I seem to remember reading that two dealers bought up most of these coins back in the day. Collectors were paying huge sums in the after-market......sound familiar? :)

onecenter likes this.
  17. onecenter

onecenter Member

Yes, very true. The 10,000 coins minted (plus 8 for assay) went largely unsold. It was the Great Depression and spending $1 for a commemorative half dollar was not considered money well spent in those times. My grandparents married in 1934, waiting five years to do so in order to save money. My grandfather had continuous employment as a machinist for a Hudson Valley cement company throughout the Great Depression, but the workday was only six hours.

18. ksparrow

I bought the Isabella when I started collecting, around 7 years ago. NGC graded it AU58, but I now know it was dipped and retoned. In fact, with the amount of luster it has remaining it might regrade as a 50 or even a 45 if netted for the dip. A classic newbie mistake.

19. green18

Still, she does look sweet. The one that resides in my collection is also '58.

20. green18

21. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Some VERY attractive Commemoratives in this thread!!! Congratulations on finding a Stone Mtn. in a roll!!!

I like how the gold toning on this one ended up in the pan and the golden grizzly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

geekpryde, JPeace$, Effigy303 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted