Post Your Commemorative Half Dollars (1892-1954)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WingedLiberty, Jul 22, 2010.

1. connor1

connor1 Collector

Beautiful 26 Oregon, 67 ++++++++,nice toner ,I read that if they were kept in their original packaging they developed this type of toning,so maybe slabbing silver old coins in their original packaging should be encouraged till the tone develops or tell you family before you croak keep an eye on it now & them before having it slabbed...LOL

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. connor1

connor1 Collector

Fishfinder...another Knock out 67 Oregon almost looks High Releif .super struck ! Beautiful +

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Hope you like it

IMG_0444-horz.jpg

5. connor1

connor1 Collector

Grant is one of my favorites Green ,The other 2 are just as nice ,the luster on the California is gorgeous !

6. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

I love the coins everyone has posted. Some incredible examples.

Here is my Norfolk and Maryland ...

C_Norfolk_O.jpg C_Norfolk_R.jpg

C_Maryland_O.jpg C_Maryland_R.jpg

Attached Files:

7. WingedLiberty

and my New Rochelle and Texas ...

8. WingedLiberty

9. connor1

connor1 Collector

Why can't we make coins like these anymore ? Anyone of the commemoratives coins posted in this thread would be an improvement to our present coinage !

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

11. WingedLiberty

Cpm ... sorry about my photography .... i took them with my iphone

The lighting was indirect sunlight (on my kitchen table next to a big sliding patio door)

What is the best way to photograph coins? I'll take any advice!

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Best to use a digital camera with macro capabilities but I must say, for camera phone pictures, those ain't too shabby.....

13. cpm9ball

Indirect sunlight isn't sufficient, and the tinted glass (you may not realize it, but it is tinted) actually filters out part of the color spectrum. It doesn't matter whether you are using tungsten, fluorescent or halogen lighting, but the drawback of most any phone camera is that you can't adjust the settings for the particular lighting conditions nor can you adjust the white balance. That is part of the reason why your photos of the silver coins have a bronze hue. Two light sources are better than one, but they should be placed at an angle to the subject, about 45 degrees, so that when your camera is placed directly overhead the subject, the light won't bounce back into the lens.

Chris

14. connor1

connor1 Collector

My wifes Quilting OTTLITE

User Friendly - Visual Enhancers
    Read and see with amazing comfort and clarity with the OttLite® Task Lamp. Unique fold-up design features a handle for easy portability and a swivel base to easily position the low heat, low glare illumination. With its small base footprint, this lamp fits easily on most desks and workstations. Shade opens and closes, activating the on/off switch. Use parallel to the desktop, straight up to illuminate larger areas, or attach to a wall.

Also Available at:
    Joann.com

Office Depot

• Improves image detail with superior color rendering
    • Use parallel to the desktop, straight up to illuminate larger areas, or attach to a wall
    • Shown in Black
    • Includes energy efficient 13wHD tube – rated to last up to 10,000 hours

Package UPC: 7-61712-10240-5

SKU

L139AB
    Model #: L139AB
    Weight: 4 lbs

Replacement Bulb: T34J3R

User Friendly - Visual Enhancers
    Read and see with amazing comfort and clarity with the OttLite® Task Lamp. Unique fold-up design features a handle for easy portability and a swivel base to easily position the low heat, low glare illumination. With its small base footprint, this lamp fits easily on most desks and workstations. Shade opens and closes, activating the on/off switch. Use parallel to the desktop, straight up to illuminate larger areas, or attach to a wall.

• Improves image detail with superior color rendering
    • Use parallel to the desktop, straight up to illuminate larger areas, or attach to a wall
    • Shown in Black
    • Includes energy efficient 13wHD tube – rated to last up to 10,000 hours

Package UPC: 7-61712-10240-5

SKU

L139AB

Also Available at:
    Joann.com

Office Depot

Model #: L139AB
    Weight: 4 lbs

Replacement Bulb
    T34J3R

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cpm9ball

Personally, I think the OTT light is overrated for coin photography, and it's basic design limits how you can use it. I'd take a couple of good old gooseneck desk lamps any day using either tungsten or fluorescent bulbs. The goosneck lamp is cheaper, too!

Chris

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coins. Whats getting me is the size of the images without having to click on them.
    I use the bucket and can't make an image post at even 600X.

17. WingedLiberty

hey ... thanks for this lighting info! i will try experimenting with that. i appreciate you help!

my other problem is holding the iphone steady to take a picture ... it would be nice if i could mount the phone on something to hold it steady.
    i agree using an iphone to take pictures is a bad idea ... but it's my only digital camera right now.

18. connor1

connor1 Collector

Sure it cheaper and each to his own ,but the ottlight ($39.99 at JOAnnes) can easily be tilted to infinite positions just by tilting the hinged lamp eliminating bounce back while you are looking through the camera lens and with the other hand making easy adjustment till you are satisfied with the lighting before you take the shot,especially on slabbed coins. Both work your method & mine,just I like the easy light adjustments.

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I use a Veralux (similar to the Ott) goose neck lamp.

20. cpm9ball

You could always nail it to a cross.

Yep, that's another advantage of a regular camera. You can use a tripod or copy stand to steady it, and most of the newer digital cameras come with a remote shutter release so you don't even have to touch the camera.

Chris

21. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

And back to the Stone Mountain, just for fun:

1925StoneMountain50c-OBV.jpg
    1925StoneMountain50c-REV.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted