Post your coins from Panama

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by J.A.K., Jan 29, 2015.

1. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Oh! By the way! I have some Panama cents from the 80s. I can't find much on them but they are awesome. I have a world cent collection started, and the Panama coin is one of my favorite (my 1974 Barbados and 1973 Bahamas cents are tied at first for favorite cents out of the US). Is there a good website to look at for world coins? Something more than just pricing, I'm looking for a little history also. Thanks.

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

I do not. I acquired them from a pawn shop. Someone took a loan on them and never returned. I was shocked at the mintage numbers. Only 1400 of the 20 balboa (silver) were made.

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

If you can find all of the set you can make some money on it if you buy it right.
    I seen one complete set auction twice the number you wrote November 2014.I was amazed it went that high.

5. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

A couple of fractional Balboa' PA19 OBV (2)-crop-horz.jpg PA20 OBV-crop-horz.jpg s from 1953.

sonlarson, Clutchy and jello like this.
  6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

J.A.K. likes this.
  7. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

1953 1/2 Balboa PA21 OBV-crop-horz.jpg

sonlarson and jello like this.
  8. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

1953 Panama Balboa PA22 OBV-crop-horz.jpg

9. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Nice !!!!

J.A.K. and jello like this.
  10. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

A couple more from my type set. PA23 OBV-crop-horz.jpg PA24 OBV-crop-horz.jpg PA25 OBV-crop-horz.jpg

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Help is 1968 1/2 Balboa 40% Silver?
    I am just checking myself.

:)

12. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

.400 silver

jello likes this.
  13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Thank You!!!
    :)

J.A.K. likes this.
  14. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

just got this one today... my pics really don't do the coin justice.
    IMG_8479.jpg IMG_8486.jpg

sonlarson, J.A.K. and jello like this.
  15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

16. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Yep, I wish i was aging that well.

jello likes this.
  17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:wideyed:You & Me Both wish that :)

18. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

1961 fractional Balboa's PA26 OBV-crop-horz.jpg PA27 OBV-crop-horz.jpg PA28 OBV-crop-horz.jpg

jello likes this.
  19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

20. JGusta77

JGusta77 Member

Hello, I've enjoyed looking at all these great Panamanians! I've been collecting for about a year and have settled on mainly European and Latin American silver crowns for the variety and beauty in the designs.

I very recently purchased the 1904 50 Centesimos (I've been looking for one of these) and 1966 Balboa pictured below and have some rookie questions about the 50 Cent piece. Krause states that the diameter of the 1904 should be 38.1mm since these were supposedly struck on U.S.. dollar blanks. However, I've also seen 37mm, 36mm, and 35.7mm noted on other online references and listings. My 1904 below is clearly not 38.1 when compared to the 1966. The coin is slabbed so I can't measure its diameter but it appears to be at least 36mm or smaller. Is Krause just wrong here? Does anyone own a 38.1mm version, or 37mm? The differences in size seem odd to me given these were minted at a time when silver content was very important.

I appreciate any input. I'm new around here so please let me know if this is the right place to ask this or if I should be starting a new thread. Thanks!

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

J.A.K. and jello like this.
  21. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

[QUOTE="JGusta77, post: 2104523, member: 72819"ve enjoyed looking at all these great Panamanians! I've been collecting for about a year and have settled on mainly European and Latin American silver crowns for the variety and beauty in the designs.

I very recently purchased the 1904 50 Centesimos (I've been looking for one of these) and 1966 Balboa pictured below and have some rookie questions about the 50 Cent piece. Krause states that the diameter of the 1904 should be 38.1mm since these were supposedly struck on U.S.. dollar blanks. However, I've also seen 37mm, 36mm, and 35.7mm noted on other online references and listings. My 1904 below is clearly not 38.1 when compared to the 1966. The coin is slabbed so I can't measure its diameter but it appears to be at least 36mm or smaller. Is Krause just wrong here? Does anyone own a 38.1mm version, or 37mm? The differences in size seem odd to me given these were minted at a time when silver content was very important.

I appreciate any input. I'm new around here so please let me know if this is the right place to ask this or if I should be starting a new thread. Thanks!

View attachment 396402 [/QUOTE]
    Hello, and welcome to the forum. The 1904 50 centisimos I

Draft saved Draft deleted