Post your coins from Mexico

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Razz, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charles Ruge

Charles Ruge Supporter! Supporter

I just looked them up on e-bay and they are high, but if this corona crap doesn't end soon, I may have to get one with all the money I'm saving.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I hear you. I have always wanted 1 too, but I will hold out for a better graded 1. so-so grades are everywhere and I will say no to so-so grades.

5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

10% silver Polish_20200720_211918692.jpg

Eric the Red and expat like this.
  6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

My only "Cabalito."

CaballitoObverse.png CaballitoReverse.png

I also have a holed Maximilian Peso, but currently no picture. It was still a little pricey even with the hole.

7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

DSCN3353~2.JPG DSCN3354~2.JPG
    New photos same coin as above.

Eric the Red, capthank and expat like this.
  8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

25 Pesos 1968 DSCN2925~4.JPG DSCN2926~4.JPG

Eric the Red, capthank and expat like this.
  9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Are these 10% coins the lowest purity silver coins of the modern era?

There was the silver-centered 10 nuevos pesos with a sterling center surrounded by brass; but at least the silver was pretty pure.

Is there a modern coin with less than 10% silver that was in common circulation at any point?

11. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

These little 'uns are surprisingly difficult to find.

Mexico 1 centavo 1970 (3).jpg Mexico 1 centavo 1972 (3).jpg

12. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I too just love so many of the Mexican coins, and give them credit on the moderns, even though the Libertad gold and silver series is getting a bit long in the tooth. But, oh, a well-struck and high grade Caballito to me is the best (evidently it is not just me witnessing the price of MS65 and above specimens these days. This specimen gotten for a literal pittance raw off the 'bay about a year ago and an obscenely low price, and much nicer in hand (they don't grade them that way, but Ms. Libertad appears to have a "full head" designation on Libertad and her horse if they would).

Not to derail the topic but this is a coin that might only grade 63 or so - what do you think - but eye appeal and strike really make it near the equal to the graded 65 that I have, which I will post later.

tempImageCw9gah.png tempImage6dXARI.png

13. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

While metal detecting a curb strip in one of the historical areas in Jacksonville, Florida, I harvested a strange bronze ring with what has been described as a privately minted Mexican coin mounted on it.

First,note the construction of the ring. Very solidly made with 8 prongs securing the coin. When have you ever seen a ring with 8 prongs?

The face of the ring is a replication of an Incan calendar. BUT, on the opposite side, hidden inside the ring, there is a face. The face is of Father Miguel Hidalgo. Called THE FATHER OF MEXICO, he led the Mexican Revolution until his capture and execution by Spanish soldiers in 1811.

This was recently examined by an archeologist who specializes in Spanish relics who believes it was likely made in Vera Cruz and owned by a Spanish priest. He believes the face was hidden as it is because of political reasons during that time. Any association with Hidalgo was not likely to be seen in a positive light.

The Spanish had a number of missions and trading posts along the east coast of Florida, originating in St Augustine, about 25 miles from where I found this. Each post was approximately a day’s march apart.

when inquiring about the origins of the coin, I was informed that private minting of coins was allowed at that time, mostly used as scrip at mines and large estates. They were used as payment to the laborers to be exchanged for food and items at the “company stores”.

Whatever it’s origins or use, it is one of my more unusual finds.

And while not a Mexican coin, I will include this one too.

Six months ago I received a request for help from a woman to find a lost item. This was my 34th return and quite a challenge. The woman’s husband gave her a pair of Tiffany Gold ear rings and then died unexpectedly a few days later. She was wearing them for the first time and one popped off in her front yard. It took me 3 hours to find it nestled between 2 roots of an oak tree.

But while searching I got a solid silver signal UNDER A MASSIVE TREE ROOT! I had to tunnel under both sides of the root until I could reach under it. I felt a rectangular object grown into the root. But I was able to pry it loose and found a silver belt buckle with a 1917 Peruvian 1/2 Sol silver coin mounted on the buckle. F8AD8222-13EA-40B9-886B-BB5067008ABE.jpeg

AEF9562D-42E1-491D-9391-4526C9159C62.jpeg BA8FBE86-C9BC-459F-813B-592527BBAE7C.jpeg 69DB92A6-CE15-45F6-961E-3FA00174A236.jpeg F835DADA-0CB9-4493-8B07-460A2798700D.jpeg

Eric the Red and capthank like this.
  14. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I really, really like the belt buckle. The ring, well, not sure about that although you have a good background story provided. The overall design of the ring is appearing much more modern and may have been modeled after relatively common silver objects. So on your celebratory giveaway, please have the buckle as the prize! LOL

15. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Here is mine. mexico error large.jpg

Eric the Red likes this.
  16. capthank

Mexico reverse.jpg Mexico obverse.jpg Mexico obverse.jpg
    I like this one too!

Eric the Red and expat like this.
  17. capthank

Don't collect but have several hundred in a box I bought.

Eric the Red likes this.
  18. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

"Say, Mister. Will you stake a fellow American to a meal?"

[​IMG]

Success!

[​IMG]

One like it:

[​IMG]
    Mexico peso 1924
    Silver, 34 mm, 16.68 gm

:)

19. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Posting these from my "infamous intermittent multiple-post computer"...a risk to be sure...haven't used it for a while here on CT...been posting from a different one but no photos in/from it...working ok elsewhere...hope this works here this time...sorry if not. 1969 Mex Villa Rica...Vera Cruz - obv 2.jpg 1969 Mex Villa Rica...Vera Cruz - rev 2.jpg

20. Millard

Millard Coindog

My wife says it's too close to Christmas for me to be galivanting off to Mexico. So I guess I'll have to post them from here. :( . I don't have many Mexican coins. This is my oldest and unfortunately its holed. 1935 2 cent.
    Mexico 2 cent obv (3).jpg Mexico 2 cent rev (3).jpg

expat and Eric the Red like this.
  21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

1964 Peso. According to Krause, the portrait is the reverse! DSCN3401~2.JPG DSCN3400~2.JPG

expat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted