Post your coins from Brazil

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 49ers, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

XX Réis 1694 PPPP (Porto) (I identified the date by comparing the die with all the known years). Struck for Angola and authorized to circulate in Brazil by the Royal Letter of February 10, 1704.
    102_6971.JPG 102_6973.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

960 Réis 1824-R
    Struck over 8 Reales from Lima (1812)
    It´s not common to see the spanish shield in the obverse, almost always it will be in the reverse. 20150731_201420.jpg

sonlarson likes this.
  4. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

5. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

Here are two of the 960 Reis representing one from the Rio Mint (1819) and the other from the Bahia Mint (1815). Both Brazilian coins were over struck on 8 Reales. The 1815 for example was over struck on a Chilean 1813 8 Reales KM 80 1813 -So FJ.

Note the differences in the strike quality (i.e. the Crown).
    The armilary sphere on the 1819 piece has the Portuguese Royal Family's crest. The 1815 has it separate.

I just came back from cycling through Portugal in September (Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela in Spain). There is so much history and interconnectivity with Brazil and Portugal's other colonies.
    Obverse of Joao VI 1819  960 Reis.JPG Reverse denoting Rio Mint (Overstruck).JPG Obverse of Joao as Regent 1815-B.JPG Reverse of 1815 B Overstruck on Chile 8 Reales KM 80 1813-SoFJ.JPG

sonlarson likes this.
  6. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

Sullykerry2, both are from Rio, take a look in my post about Rio and Bahia mint

7. Sullykerry2

I agree that the geometric figure supporting the armilary sphere at the end are trapezoid rather than the triangular figure on the Bahia mint marks. However the "B" mint mark rather than the "R" points to the Bahia. There is thus a conflict. I wonder if there is a deliberate overprint? I know these dies were handmade. There are many varieties of the 960 Reis. The example above may be one of those.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

The difference between Rio and Bahia coins isn't only the geometric figure supporting the armilary sphere, there are another small details that support the idea that it is a Rio 960 Réis. 1463880_554817041262943_2137170123_n.jpg

Trish likes this.
  9. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

By the engravers initials in the 1819 piece (JP) I would say that it was struck over a Lima 8 Reales.

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Very useful comparison, thanks for posting :)

Giovanni likes this.
  11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Interesting fact about Portugal and Brazil. I just read a book about the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, which destroyed the city. Afterward some of the king's advisors wanted him to move his capital to Brazil. He wouldn't do it though. I wonder how the history of those nations might have changed if he had?

Giovanni likes this.
  12. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

13. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

640 Réis 1701-P (Var. 16B - C) 102E5579.JPG 102E5580.JPG

sonlarson and Numismat like this.
  14. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

XL Réis 1820-R 102E5568.JPG 102E5567.JPG

15. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

960 Réis 1819-R struck over 8 Reales from Guatemala (1808)
    It's very difficult to see coins struck over 8 Reales from Guatemala.
    102E5572.JPG 102E5571.JPG

16. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I really like the over-struck 960 reis coins, here is mine. I believe this coin may also have been double struck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sonlarson and Giovanni like this.
  17. Sullykerry2

I am looking for the (JP) initials on the 1819 960 Reis that you mentioned. Can you point them out to me, please? Thanks.

18. Sullykerry2

Hiddendragon: It would be fascinating to speculate. I however believe that by 1755 Portugal was a spent power. The monarchy did last for a another 60 years or so, but under considerable duress. If I recall correctly, Joao VI was initially spirited out of Portugal to Brazil following a difference of opinion as to who ought to be the rightful heir to the throne. Joao VI as prince regent did combine the thrones of Brazil and Portugal. You will see the coat of arms on the Cruzado of 1818 - 1825 (KM358) which I find personally fascinating.
    If you haven't done so, I would put Portugal on your list of places to visit. Lots of history there.

19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

According to the book, Brazil was kind of keeping Portugal afloat at the time so it might have made sense to make it the center of the empire. The Portuguese accomplished a lot for a country and population that size, and it's a shame it has been forgotten.

I was reading up a bit on the end of the monarchy today. The last Portuguese king was overthrown in a coup in 1910 and died without children in exile. He seems to have taken his overthrown pretty well. The last Brazilian king was overthrown in 1889 by a small group. Apparently he was actually very popular and considered a good emperor. He was missed once he was gone. I'd like to find a book about him and learn more.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

Sem Título-1.jpg Here you can see the J and the P

21. Giovanni

Giovanni New Member

This is my favorite 960 Réis for its dark patina, struck over 8 Reales from Potosi
    102_5722.jpg 102_5723.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted