Post Your Coin That You Bought Even Though It Was Overpriced

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Old Error Guy, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

I once heard it said, that the opportunity to buy a coin is frequently rarer than the coin.

Once in a while, something comes along that fits so well in my collection, that I am willing to over pay to add it. Thankfully, not too often, though.

I collect errors, so the cost is not what it can be with regular coins. Here's one that I picked up recently. It's the best example of a struck through rag I've ever seen - both from a condition standpoint and the clarity of the weave. I had serious buyer's remorse until the coin arrived, but after I had it in hand, I was glad I bought it.

I would love to see other examples to know that I'm not alone!

Struck Thru Cloth 2.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Here's one. I overpaid for a variety of reasons.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought the strike was very strong. I wanted a coin from my mother's birth year and I wanted it from this collection. All those reasons added up to me overypaying for the coin. I really didn't mind.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

An extremely rare bronze of the Nabataean king Malichus I. These were minted only for a year or so, to commemorate Malichus' defeat over Herod. There are less than a dozen recorded specimens. You can read about the events and coinage on my website, here.

Nabataean Kingdom: Malichus I, 60-30 BC
    AE21, 9.5g, 12h; Petra mint: 35/34 BC
    Obv.: Diademed head of Malichus I right, with long curly hair.
    Rev.: Eagle standing left; around, inscription מלכו מלכא – מלך נבטו (Malichus the king, king of the Nabataeans).

malichus I thumb.jpg

5. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, wonder what's the best way to photograph my whole collection....

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpg image.jpg Paid over 10x book value for this one 10 seconds with some ez est and it'd be worth $80 I paid nearly a grand

8. Old Error Guy

Really interesting stuff fellers. Thanks for participating.

9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

10. robec

robec Junior Member

These two among others I have overpaid, but only when compared to a price guide.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

12. Mainebill

image.jpg image.jpg Another one tho I don't think I overpaid could've bought 3 other Pf 64 trades that day for $1k less each then this one including a nice 83 I wish I could've bought too I'd say I've paid over book valve for at least 50% of my coins due to their eye appeal or color so overpaid?

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

#1 You are not alone. Your struck through cloth coin is awesome.

#2 You did not overpay for the struck through cloth coin. What you paid is what it is worth [to me] & I don't know what you paid.

#3 I'm with Phankins11.:)

Mainebill and Old Error Guy like this.
  14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

1945P.jpg

This was the last one I needed for a registry set 'War Nickels with varieties" it put me in second place for a while. I sold off the set but this cost me 2x going price at the time

geekpryde, robec and Old Error Guy like this.
  15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

You've got many beautifully toned coins Bill. Tough to say what market pricing is when it comes to "art". Loved your post about EZ zest.

16. Mainebill

90% of the coins I own if dipped white I would never have bought in the first place I do own a few blast white morgans and a few others but as a rule most of my coins are in their original skin or nicely retoned after an old dip

17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Something to keep in mind. It is a logical impossibility to pay more for something than it is worth.

One can, of course, pay more than any so-called "market" or "book" value; one can even pay more than one can expect to recoup by reselling it, but the fact that one is willing to pay X times said market value indicates that at that particular point in time the item was worth X times market value--at least to the purchaser--and his opinion is the only one that matters in that particular transaction.

That said, here is a coin that I gladly paid almost double the market value on. Why? Because it was worth it.
    [​IMG]

Morgandude11, robec and Mainebill like this.
  18. Mainebill

Don't blame you! Beautiful bust half!!

19. Old Error Guy

I don't buy coins as an investment, but like most of us, I assume, you hope you don't get killed when the time to sell comes. When I bought this coin, some years ago, I probably paid 3 or 4 times the going rate for a bow tie clip. As it turns out, it proved to be a great investment - percentage wise. That doesn't happen that often, at least to me.

BowTieClip-Obv.jpg BowTieClip-Rev.jpg

dwhiz and silentnviolent like this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Difficult date to begin with, and expensive in this condition. However, I wanted it:

93cc rev.jpg 93cc.jpg

21. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Draft saved Draft deleted