Post your coin photography set-up

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dj Shift, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

Collect89, the most interesting man on Cointalk.:D

Nice setup, but I would think that after a few coins your pictures would get blurrier and blurrier.;) I do like the bullet collection and the shotty up above..

Dj Shift likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

I like that setup because it's something I could put together on my budget with great results.

Dj Shift likes this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I have two camera setups, one for "normal" coins and one for Proof and PL coins.

Normal Setup:
    CameraStand.jpg

Axial Lighting Setup for Proof and PL Coins:
    AxialLighting-10.jpg

Dj Shift likes this.
  5. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

You're Using a Cannon Eos 5D Mark III right? That's another one of my top 5 dream cameras.

6. x115

x115 Collector

I don't have a set up. eventually I will get around to making one. and for now all I have is some bulky equipment I use for other endeavors. but Im not a dealer and I don't buy a lot of coins so I usually just plop a coin down on the desk and snap a pic. but my equipment is so large its like trying to butter bread with a machete LOL. thats why my photos aren't that great.

here is my equipment.

IMG_0700.jpg canon Mark IV and some misc. lenses

Dj Shift likes this.
  7. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

another amazing camera set-up! I love those lenses.

8. x115

x115 Collector

I just made this temporary crazy set up with some old studio lighting.
    AP7H0018.jpg

need to buy some smaller lamps.but it will do for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dj Shift likes this.
  9. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Those are some nice lights.

10. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

I use modified microscope stands for my numismatic photography setups. They give me fine enough focus capability to do focus stacking at 5x or even higher magnification. For full coin shots I mount a Rodenstock 75mm f4 Apo Rodagon D M=1 duplicating lens (75ARD1), or occasionally a Nikon 105mm f2.8 Printing-Nikkor (105PN). For variety details I mount a Nikon 4x Plan 0.1, a Nikon 3xMM, or Nikon 5xMM microscope objective. I converted from Nikon to Canon about 15 months ago after finding that my Nikon had some inherent shutter shake that blurred my images, especially at 3x and above. I now use a Canon T2i on my desk setup, and a Canon XS on my portable setup. For lighting I use either Jansjo LED's with highly-customized diffusers, or an EKE ringlight. Here are pictures of one of my portable setups with the 75ARD1 and one with the 4x Plan objective:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of a toned 1957-D Cent using the 75ARD1:
    [​IMG]

And a 1950 Proof Nickel with the same lens:
    [​IMG]

And here is a pic using the Nikon 5xMM objective:

[​IMG]

And finally a pic of a 1955-S/S/S RPM#1 using a Nikon 4x PlanApo 0.2 objective:
    [​IMG]

Curtisimo, David Leu, mlov43 and 2 others like this.
  11. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

WOW! That is an amazing set-up!!!!!
    how much would one of those cost?

12. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, all I have is an old Sony, a desk lamp and a steady hand... this camera:

[​IMG]

Gives me this picture:

[​IMG]

The problem is finding the 3.5" floppies, lol.

Dj Shift likes this.
  13. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

I had one of those in my collection of cameras. I'm not quite sure where it went though.

the worst part is, i cant find my Leica either.

14. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Thanks, I've been building these for a couple years now and they work great. Cost breakdown is like this:
    Modified B&L Stand: $200
    Pentax Bellows: $100
    75ARD1: $190
    Nikon 4x Plan 0.1: $50
    Cone-shaped RMS Adapter: $25
    M42-Camera Adapter: $10
    Total for setup only: $575
    Canon XS body: $225
    Total with camera: $800

Curtisimo, ManDime and Dj Shift like this.
  15. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

How does it do with slabbed coins?

Dj Shift likes this.
  16. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Raw vs slabbed makes little difference once you figure out your lighting. Here is a 34P Buff taken with this setup:

[​IMG]

and here's an 09VDB. Note the slab scratches...slabs often need polishing in order to not show the scratches in the photo:

[​IMG]

Curtisimo, geekpryde and Dj Shift like this.
  17. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

That's pretty expensive but it's a lot less than i thought it would've been. Although i dont know what some of that stuff is. Lol. I'd know if i saw one though.

18. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

19. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

And I do have to say that gbroke really helped me out. Before, I was using only a single light source as illumination. He instructed me about the "10 and 2" method, and since then I have found that the details of my photographs have improved greatly, although they are far from perfect.

Dj Shift likes this.
  20. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Nope, my camera is a Nikon D-90 and I use a Nikkor 60mm macro lens (Nikkor calls it micro).
    My lighting comes from two Ott-Lite desk lamps with "white" light tube elements. They are close to sunlight.
    Once I set my white balance for them I'm ready to shoot (as long as I remember to turn off the ceiling lights :().

Dj Shift likes this.
  21. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Oh, i didn't know the D-90 had the screen on the top. And i didn't think of ott lights. I have one of those. I wonder what would happen if i use an ott and a gooseneck at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted