Post your coin photography set-up

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dj Shift, Jun 21, 2013.

1. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Here's my setup:

Wide.jpg

The Copystand is a Beseler CS14 designed for use with medium format film cameras. The Camera is a Nikon D800, and I typically use a 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor lens. Depending on the lighting I wish, I will either use the Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System, or I will use the copystand lights with various diffusers, ranging from translucent panels to "shower cap" style covers for the lights. I can also adjust the angle and distance from light to subject and add an accessory lens for smaller coins. The largest print I've made using this setup was 24" in diameter.

I've also been playing around with this toy:

scope.jpg

The microscope is an AmScope SM-2TZ with an added LED ringlight. Mounted atop the scope is a Nikon V1 camera, relay lens, and adapter. The optics are fine for online display, but I haven't tried to make any prints of significant size using this thing.

Dj Shift likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Well. I have a camera in the same series, and i'm buying some new lenses soon. I think i have a similar software. It's the stand that would cost a lot since i dont know anywhere to get one for free.

4. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Wow. That is one amazing set-up!!!!! Nikon D800 especially. That's my number 2 spot dream camera (only after the referance i made to the $34,000 200MP Hasselblad H4D 200MS). I'm a big fan of high megapixel cameras.

5. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Oh, now i see it. That is a nice looking set-up!

6. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

mine is a rather simple setup with good results. 2 goose-neck lamps, a cheap tripod, my wife's kitchen table, and a $200 point and shoot. It's no DSLR but it works on a budget. I have to admit though, the setup isn't the best for slabbed coins.

IMG_0350.jpg

proof example:

DSC05050.jpg DSC05053.jpg
    Business strike example:
    1938-D OBV (2).jpg 1938-D REV (2).jpg

Dj Shift likes this.
  7. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

What would you guys consider the most important features to look for in a camera for this kind of setup? # of Megapixels? Macro photo setting? Something else?

Dj Shift likes this.
  8. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

yours looks near identical to my original method but with white paper and the right kind of lights. You guys have all definately proven the effectiveness of the right kind of lighting.

9. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

So, is there a certain strength or temperature of the bulb i should buy? Or would any work?

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Unless you're shooting for business purposes (or have another use for one), a macro is not necessary for a casual hobbyist. For a very small amount of money you can buy little screw-on "close-up" adapters (for the life of me I cannot remember the proper name, but they are similar to and attach as a filter would). I know a few guys who use them and achieve great results, but it did take practice.

As for the other questions, there is nothing wrong with taking hints/advice from others, but do try to figure this out on your own. Early on any halfway decent coin photo can look fantastic, but in time you will likely develop personal preferences that may not be met by what others do.

Dj Shift likes this.
  11. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Okay. I'll try some things out for myself. And i guess i dont really need a macro since my lens is an ultra low aperature one anyways. Maybe i'll pick up one of the filter things you're talking about. I think my photography teacher was talking about those one day.

12. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Ye olde "soft white" incandescent house bulb will work just fine as long as you can correct for color temperature. So can photofloods, which offer a bit cooler and more consistent light. In each case, though, you shouldn't use a more powerful bulb than the fixture is rated for, and you have to be careful about heat. Once I nearly dropped a lens after getting burned by a "hot light."

Avoid inexpensive fluorescent or LED bulbs, compact or otherwise. Unlike an incandescent bulb or natural light, such bulbs have a "spikey" distribution of light frequencies leading to off colors. I use a set of "full spectrum" compact fluorescent lamps with a claimed CRI rating of 95 and color temperature of 5500K. A few LED bulbs now claim a CRI of 90, but I've yet to try one.

Dj Shift likes this.
  13. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

Oh, thank you. That really helps since i never knew what the numbers were and just went by squigly or round.

14. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I keep it very simple a Cannon SD400 and a tripod...
    IMG_5306.jpg
    IMG_4745.jpg IMG_4746.jpg

Dj Shift likes this.
  15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

001z.jpg 1971 S Cent.jpg My I phone with macro lens & photo I just took. Note: I did use PhotoScape to crop it

Dj Shift likes this.
  16. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

I always was amazed at how well the iphones could take photos while Samsung phone cameras are still terrible.

17. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Very simple set up. 45W par30 bulbs. Cheap goose necks. Inexpensive copy stand. Sony Cybershot 7.2mp camera. Color paper background, color varies, but 90% of the time I use white. Sets on top of mini refrigerator to keep my water cold. Dog bed to right so my companion can look out the window and bark at the neighbors. Window faces the west, so I can use afternoon sun when I want natural lighting. Have used Photoshop, Gimp, PaintShop Pro X3, and PhotoScape. Currently use PaintShop to download, do initial cropping then use PhotoScape for final contrast, white balance adjustments, cropping, and final backgrounds. PhotoScape is the best and it's free!

2013-06-24 07.37.45.jpg

Dj Shift likes this.
  18. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

That's a nice looking set-up too!

19. biged239

biged239 Member

Great thread, and great set ups.
    Biged

Dj Shift likes this.
  20. biged239

biged239 Member

I have been trying to take absolute coin pictures for more than two years. I have a brother that is 75 years old and has been a professional photographer since his early 20s. About six weeks ago I sent him a copy stand with lighting, Last week he called and said he still has not been able to get an absolute coin picture. He has 1000s of dollars in cameras, flash, tents, filters and stands. He has took gallery style pictures of crystal. He thought the same thing a lot of people thinks, that taking a coin picture is easy.

Taking a good coin picture is fairly easy, but taking a picture that looks like having the coin in hand is not.
    I will challenge anyone (except for gbroke). Does the picture you take look like the coin in hand? Of course this would be an honor system type answer. There are more than a few members that post great coin pictures on this forum. I have not ever seen any of the coins in hand so I don’t know how close to the coin they are getting. I can only believe they are what the coin really is. But can you take that coin and lay it on the picture and they both look the same?
    I have bought many coins from pictures from ebay and have never got a coin that was just like the picture, but close enough not to make a different in my opinion of buying the coin.

So to answer the op, most setups shown in this thread are what is needed. But you will need to play for yourself with different things. Because every setup, lamps, stand, camera, and operator will produce different type pictures.

I have been going to jewelry photo sites to get more education. If you google this it will give more information about camera settings. When they take pictures of diamonds they end up with the same problem we do with the mirror from the coin in a small confined area.
    Thanks Biged

Dj Shift likes this.
  21. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

That's true. Every coin i've bought has looked way better in hand than in any photos. Diamonds too for that matter (i have a collection of collections and diamonds are one also).

Draft saved Draft deleted