Post your Civil War Tokens here

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rushmore, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Now for one I wished that I never let go! I had the copper version that I sold about 10 years ago at the Baltimore Whitman show. $(KGrHqFHJCcE-ffTjhSNBPss+uuRmQ--60_12   61012 o-crop-crop.jpg $(KGrHqJ,!joE-msMp+hrBPss+vq(i!--60_12 61012 r-crop-crop.jpg

I just discovered the same medal in silver on the bay.....price tag moon money for this collector.
    s-l300-2.jpg s-l300-3.jpg
    And yes those are actual shells fired in the air durring the battle of the two ironclads.
    These medals were so well done.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

"Pay the bearer one cent" This is fairly common, but oddly enough, I found it hard to find a nice one. This was when I was dealer so I was going though a lot of CWTs at the time.

Pay Bearer 1 Cent O.jpg Pay Bearer 1 Cent R.jpg

This rare Camp Shiloh piece (about 15 known) was a mystery for many years. The latest thinking was that it was a trade token that was used on a Mississippi riverboat.

SNL 10b O.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Paddy54

To my knowledge camp tokens were just that used as scrip while the troops were in camp for goods or services. I have seen a few union camp tokens for the union forces to use as again scrip. s-l300-4.jpg s-l300-5.jpg

The Shiloh was a token just like a store card.
    There's about 6 specimens that are for sale now on the net.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  6. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

Here I am again with another CT memory. First time I posted the "spoot" token I mistakenly called it a civil war token ERROR. Wow!! got my knuckles cracked good on here. Anyway here is TWO variety tokens lets call them typos and be safe. BE and BY Preserved.jpg Be and By Preserved obv..jpg spot and Spoot.jpg spot and spoot obv.jpg

7. Paddy54

. 1637530513375_20211121_163314.jpg 20211121_163250.jpg
    This particular specimen has been in my collection since I was 7 years old. 60 years and still rock n rollin...
    My collection.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  8. Paddy54

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Schenkman's reference lists the copper as scarce, and the silver as "very rare," so no surprise what the ask is . I'm happy with my copper example. These were recorded as being sold in 1864, so they are truly Civil War vintage.
    ironclad medal obv.jpg ironclad medal rev.jpg

10. Paddy54

Yes your are correct they were designed and minted durring the Civil war. Nice specimen you have,
    And to keep it real my reference states they were minted in brass,copper and silver.

And to those who have never held one in hand they are half dollar size and the strike is high relief.a fantastic specimen to own.

Southernman189 and ksparrow like this.
  11. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

It's been quite a few decades since I've purchased any CWT's but I am happily rediscovering these through the Knickerbocker Currency designs. I know these are quite common, but rediscovery of them brings me much happiness . . . . .

I need to take better photos, but here are the first two that arrived . . . . .

Z

IMG_3421.JPG IMG_3422.JPG IMG_3424.JPG IMG_3423.JPG

13. MIKELOCK34

MIKELOCK34 Well-Known Member

14. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

One more arrived, just this afternoon.

A Knickerbocker with the General McClellan reverse.

Z

IMG_3425.JPG IMG_3426.JPG

15. MIKELOCK34

MIKELOCK34 Well-Known Member

F958135A-CB2D-4C07-BBCE-FB1F13C231AA.jpeg 02817636-76B0-45FD-9334-C8CB0081F440.jpeg
    Civil war token planchet. Identified by my local lcs.

16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

17. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

One[​IMG] One of my Jackson Michigan store cards
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  18. johnmilton

These three pieces were actually mini-medals that were sold as a fundraiser at the June, 1864 Philadelphia Sanitary Fair. They are listed as Civil War tokens. There are minor sub-varieties within this group.

Bronze

Phil San Fair Copper All.jpg

Silver - This is the most common Civil War token that is made of silver.

Phil San Fair Silver All.jpg

Gold Plated - This is rarest variation.

Phil San Fair Gold All.jpg

19. Simple ole tor

Simple ole tor New Member

One of my favorites

Attached Files:

20. johnmilton

That one is one of the “copperheads” that supported the Confederate cause. “Fort Layfeyette” was a prison in New York harbor where suspected Confederate sympathizers were imprisoned. Some of them were political prisoners, not real traitors.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. Simple ole tor

Simple ole tor New Member

Another recent addition.
    C3D5809F-32CD-4B0A-A5F2-DDFB9CF09DA5.jpeg E9038FC5-8F07-47A1-A4C6-AC27958278BD.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted