Post your Challenge coins/Unit coins And fantasy ones here

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Circus, Jan 14, 2020.

1. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Some folks claim rank wins. Other folks say that you are challenged to produce a challenge coin and if you don't you buy the house a round. The only thing consistent about challenge coins and short snorters is that everyone claims that their version of the story is the only correct one. Short snorters served the same purpose in earlier years. Personally we didn't use them in the army from my time period of 1969 to 1977. Since then the rules have changed every different place I've been. That is exactly what happened with short snorters too.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

The person without a challenge coin buys the round.

4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

5. capthank

I thought short snorters were WWII?

6. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

WWII & KOREA were using short snorters. Nothing universal done in Vietnam although there were a few wooden nickels. Challenge
    coins first appeared at unit reunions then we started seeing them issued by units. Personal coins by people with high rank appeared last. That is my recollection of what I saw. Many people probably experienced a different time line. The early unit reunion coins were much smaller than the current size of challenge coins.

7. capthank

Yes, I saw some in Vietnam 69/71 and the size was approx same as a sliver dollar.

8. Circus

9. Circus

10. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

11. Circus

12. Circus

13. quick_change

quick_change Member

Thank you for the opportunity to share my Challenge Coins! I never had a reason to bring them out..
    Also, thank you for your service!

6657E346-BD0C-405F-A119-636D0EACA8FA.jpeg D009566F-1ECC-4A10-8300-2EA591F66B4A.jpeg D0E6FCC8-3218-4A1B-9C25-D220DF641811.jpeg 8A1714A9-EE89-4787-B2F8-C2EBF0693A32.jpeg E26DBD8A-1EE4-4D4E-A2DC-0A573A05E438.jpeg 606755E6-CCFA-4CB7-A567-BD50ACB02EDB.jpeg

14. Circus

15. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I don't have a lot, but this one is pretty good. Sadly, hubs has one from SECDEF which is annoying. He worked at the Pentagon and ended up with some goodies. I just lucked out and got mine on an odd little ship off the west coast of Africa a few years back. Bouncing around on a converted car ferry of all things and had a 'social' with one of the local governments. Couldn't believe it rated a SECNAV visit, but oh well.

secnav combo.jpg hsv2a.jpg

Poor little ship was being leased to the MSC. Ended up getting badly damaged off the coast of Yemen a few years later when it was being leased to someone else.

Nicknamed the Vomit Comet. There were a few meals when I was one of about 10 people showing up :D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSV-2_Swift

Circus likes this.
  16. Circus

It makes no matter where or from who you got it you have it. And few are higher so good show

17. capthank

I have several Medal of Honor that are special. I used to keep all displayed but some started to disappear so placed in a drawer

Circus likes this.
  18. capthank

B battery LZ Sherry challenge coin.jpg

Circus likes this.
  19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Circus likes this.
  20. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

What unit was it? Navy or Marine? I build plastic models and I would like to see if I can build one if I have the unit information and some pictures.

21. capthank

B Battery LZ Sherry, 5th Battalion 27th Artillery attached to 3rd Battalion 506th 101st Infantry Vietnam 68-69

Draft saved Draft deleted